News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

dovetail65

In my previous work areas, it was value of work that impacted us not money that was the top concern in the workplace.
DO you mean the value of work to you or from the owners perspective?

For sure many workers will take less money if they feel valued ie allowing them to actually like their job.

Patcheslee

I've never heard of a union contract of a company that was performance base pay. It is always across the board that I understand. There would be grievances left and right if performance base by staff.
We went to performance review in 2020, 0% raise for low performers, 3% for normal, and 5% for high. Starting wages were $17/hour vs what use to be 50 cents for everyone. More complicated than just giving everyone the same but worth it IMO. Reviews done quarterly based on quality, production, safety, team work, and communication. Based on a point system where each is ranked 1-5, so potential for 20-100 points in the year. Low performers are in the 20-40, normal 41-75, and high is 76-100. Every employee fills out their own self assessment and reasons for their ratings. Self assessments are given to HR for copies then immediate managers. Performance reviews are written be immediate managers, then it's reviewed by next level manager, HR and union reps for agreement or revision if there are disagreements before being given to the employees. So it's not solely based on one persons perception of an employee.
It did result in a few people quitting after they didn't receive a raise last year (2021 was a test period with a guaranteed 3% minimum). But better off when the low performers are the ones others are taking up the slack for. We have more people doing at least what is expected of them now because it impacts them.

Lilofan

We went to performance review in 2020, 0% raise for low performers, 3% for normal, and 5% for high. Starting wages were $17/hour vs what use to be 50 cents for everyone. More complicated than just giving everyone the same but worth it IMO. Reviews done quarterly based on quality, production, safety, team work, and communication. Based on a point system where each is ranked 1-5, so potential for 20-100 points in the year. Low performers are in the 20-40, normal 41-75, and high is 76-100. Every employee fills out their own self assessment and reasons for their ratings. Self assessments are given to HR for copies then immediate managers. Performance reviews are written be immediate managers, then it's reviewed by next level manager, HR and union reps for agreement or revision if there are disagreements before being given to the employees. So it's not solely based on one persons perception of an employee.
It did result in a few people quitting after they didn't receive a raise last year (2021 was a test period with a guaranteed 3% minimum). But better off when the low performers are the ones others are taking up the slack for. We have more people doing at least what is expected of them now because it impacts them.
Union reps getting involved in company performance reviews ? Talk about more red tape that the union will bring up to discredit a low performance review from the company.

Patcheslee

Union reps getting involved in company performance reviews ? Talk about more red tape that the union will bring up to discredit a low performance review from the company.
Hard to discredit things like not being on the production floor, not following safety protocols, not completing quality checks, falsifying records, etc. Those are the types of things that cause low performance reviews, and by that point have already been taken to HR with union rep for writeups anyway.

lazyboy97o

Hard to discredit things like not being on the production floor, not following safety protocols, not completing quality checks, falsifying records, etc. Those are the types of things that cause low performance reviews, and by that point have already been taken to HR with union rep for writeups anyway.
Given that he claimed the situation couldn’t even exist, he has no way of knowing whether it works.

Lilofan

Given that he claimed the situation couldn’t even exist, he has no way of knowing whether it works.
Nice try lazy. I’ve worked with union reps. Have you? Some are master manipulators that can sway a company in the grievance process for the end result of the employee winning their case with the help of the union. I did not claim. I merely said I never heard. But you have twisted my words again to say I said / claim could not even exist.

el_super

Despite widespread expectations that unions' rank-and-file will reject this offer, no strike deadline or strike authorization vote has been scheduled.

Union leadership said they hope that Disney will return to the table with a better offer once union members reject this one.

It is still in Disney's best interest to prolong this as long as possible. If the union shows no interest in using their most powerful escalation techniques, that is the weakness that gives Disney the OK to keep delaying.

Whatever backpay Disney is expecting to pay the CMs is still collecting interest in Disney's accounts.

JoeCamel

UNITE HERE Local 737 is reporting 14,263 Walt Disney World union members voted and 96% of those voting voted no on the contract offer from Disney.
I didn't have general strike on my 2023 playlist but earnings are going to tank if they pony up what the union wants. Pay or close in a very tight labor market. I wouldn't want to be the negotiator for the mouse right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't have general strike on my 2023 playlist but earnings are going to tank if they pony up what the union wants. Pay or close in a very tight labor market. I wouldn't want to be the negotiator for the mouse right now.
They make their labor costs everything…but it’s kind a red herring

It’s their Hollywood/tv drag that the real chunk of change

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
UNITE HERE Local 737 is reporting 14,263 Walt Disney World union members voted and 96% of those voting voted no on the contract offer from Disney.
Well…unemployment is at a record low…and wages are still climbing (couple that with price gouging to make more raises by need)…

…so it was all “Bob’s” fault…right, Bob? 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nice try lazy. I’ve worked with union reps. Have you? Some are master manipulators that can sway a company in the grievance process for the end result of the employee winning their case with the help of the union. I did not claim. I merely said I never heard. But you have twisted my words again to say I said / claim could not even exist.
…what state(s) was that in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom