News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Disone

Hummmmm.... WDW
I think it's a 5 year contract? News reported previously Disney was willing to push starting pay to $20 over a 5 year period.
Here's the state minimum wage chart, so it's barely keeping pace. View attachment 691105
Hummmmmm..... WDW currently starts at $15 and if passed will go up to $16.

Then in :

Oct 2023 $17
Oct 2024 $18
Oct 2025 $19
And finally
Oct 2026 $20

This represents about a 33% raise over the 5 years versus what they're making now or a little more then 5% annually for 5 years consecutively.

For roles making more than $15 an hour they have a similar bump and pay. It is either $1 or 4%, whichever is greater. Yes greater.

If this contract were to be approved they would be back paid starting October 2nd 2022 as if this contract was an effect since that date. For someone making $15 an hour now that would be roughly $720 of retro pay, assuming 40 hours a week since Oct 2nd to now.

It's way ahead of minimum wage, a somewhat ahead of Universal, Sea World but no... It's not PWC.

Last edited:

dovetail65

And I wonder if they just gave the 20.00 today and went to 24.00 by 2026 how much that would hurt their bottom line. I believe even in a union performance should be in that pay, so only the best people would be ratained under what I propose

Is making 500 million or 1 billion less a year matter in the short term? I believe upping the pay quickly could help WDW get some of the best CM in the world/. WDW might get many more our kids that just took better than what WDW offered them now. I believe WDW looses some top potentially great new employees because of the pay they offer, it's no longer cream of the crop at WDW for workers. I bet many here can attest to that from interactions with CM's at the parks.

Though most all my CM interactions have been good the last year there have been a few times I thought, no CM treated me like that before or I thought they have been this less helpful than ever before. I once scored CM's at 99.9% over all, now It about 80%. It may be how the employees are perceiving being treated from management(money and respect matter) that may be a factor, just a guess really .

Last edited:

Lilofan

And I wonder if they just gave the 20.00 today and went to 24.00 by 2026 how much that would hurt their bottom line. I believe even in a union performance should be in that pay, so only the best people would be ratained under what I propose

Is making 500 million or 1 billion less a year matter in the short term? I believe upping the pay quickly could help WDW get some of the best CM in the world/. WDW might get many more our kids that just took better than what WDW offered them now. I believe WDW looses some top potentially great new employees because of the pay they offer, it's no longer cream of the crop at WDW for workers. I bet many here can attest to that from interactions with CM's at the parks.

Thou t most all my CM interactions have been good the last year there have been a few times I thought, no CM treated me like that before or was this less helpful than ever before. Is use dto score CM at 99.9%. now It about 80% and it may be how the employees are perceiving being treated from management(money and respect matter) that may be a factor, just a guess really .
In my previous work areas, it was value of work that impacted us not money that was the top concern in the workplace.

Smiley/OCD

Thou t most all my CM interactions have been good the last year there have been a few times I thought, no CM treated me like that before or was this less helpful than ever before. Is use dto score CM at 99.9%. now It about 80% and it may be how the employees are perceiving being treated from management(money and respect matter) that may be a factor, just a guess really .
So, if I’m comprehending your comments correctly, are you implying that the more a person gets paid, the more polite they are?? I guess I should’ve told all my associates that worked for me at minimum wage that politeness wasn’t a prerequisite for their employment. I go into dollar stores all the time and most are pleasant to interact with. TBH, I WOULD’NT want someone with that work ethic working for me OR at Disney…that’s real shallow and unprofessional.

Patcheslee

So, if I’m comprehending your comments correctly, are you implying that the more a person gets paid, the more polite they are?? I guess I should’ve told all my associates that worked for me at minimum wage that politeness wasn’t a prerequisite for their employment. I go into dollar stores all the time and most are pleasant to interact with. TBH, I WOULD’NT want someone with that work ethic working for me OR at Disney…that’s real shallow and unprofessional.
If working anywhere, I would hope that behavior and work ethic would count for something vs even if I underperformed I get the same as everyone else. It can be frustrating to be given the same pay no matter what a person does. And worse, drags down moral.

Smiley/OCD

If working anywhere, I would hope that behavior and work ethic would count for something vs even if I underperformed I get the same as everyone else. It can be frustrating to be given the same pay no matter what a person does. And worse, drags down moral.
I kinda scratched my head with that…politeness and work ethic/performance should have absolutely nothing to do with rate of pay.

Sir_Cliff

I kinda scratched my head with that…politeness and work ethic/performance should have absolutely nothing to do with rate of pay.
There are ways in which there would be some logical correlation. One might be morale, as mentioned by the original poster. That can include being able to afford to live in somewhat decent conditions.

Another is that it becomes harder for an employer to be so strict on standards if it won't be easy to replace that employee. So, a CM might feel more latitude to just go through the motions rather than sprinkle pixie dust on every interaction because they know people aren't queuing up to take their job and they can always get another job at a comparable rate of pay elsewhere.

Demand is more complicated than rate of pay, but it is an element.

Smiley/OCD

There are ways in which there would be some logical correlation. One might be morale, as mentioned by the original poster. That can include being able to afford to live in somewhat decent conditions.

Another is that it becomes harder for an employer to be so strict on standards if it won't be easy to replace that employee. So, a CM might feel more latitude to just go through the motions rather than sprinkle pixie dust on every interaction because they know people aren't queuing up to take their job and they can always get another job at a comparable rate of pay elsewhere.

If you’re getting up in the morning and thinking “I will be a nicer rank and file employee and more polite to customers” because I make 20/hr instead of 15, and I’ll be even better if I earn 22, there is something inherently wrong with you as a person and a human. And your parents too, for instilling that type of work ethic and morality. (Not you, of course, but the example)

celluloid

Disney definitely should be paying more, I won't argue that, but I wanted to quote this because studies have shown that paying an increment of large amounts more a year do not improve happiness with the work very much. In this case, it is so low it is probably a bigger amount. Treating people with kindness and a non hostile environment went much further. Sadly, it seems the parks are struggling with both in many areas.

Smiley/OCD

Disney definitely should be paying more, I won't argue that, but I wanted to quote this because studies have shown that paying an increment of large amounts more a year do not improve happiness with the work very much. In this case, it is so low it is probably a bigger amount. Treating people with kindness and a non hostile environment went much further. Sadly, it seems the parks are struggling with both in many areas.
Yes, but that comment is MUCH bigger than Disney…whether you work for the mouse, Tesla, Amazon, cutting lawns or washing dishes at the local diner, the attitude SHOULD be, if I’m not happy with the job/ROP, I’m not going to take it out on my coworkers or my customers, I’m going to make an effort to find another job that pays better and has more satisfying working conditions. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather make less and love my job than make more and dread waking up to go to work whether it’s a 10 hour a week part time job or a 40 hour full time position…been there, done that…life’s too short and I’ve NEVER seen a hearse with a trailer hitch…

Lilofan

In the unionized setting of WDW, the person that just shows up and just goes through the motions and the peer that goes above and beyond makes the same hourly pay and gets the same hourly pay increase according to the contract.

Lilofan

"CM might feel more latitude " is an excuse . In other words policies and procedures to include customer service can be " lax" by staff and looked the other way by their managers to hold their staff accountable. Is this what you mean?

jlhwdw

^ This right here. And a unionized Cast Members can get away with quite
In the unionized setting of WDW, the person that just shows up and just goes through the motions and the peer that goes above and beyond makes the same hourly pay and gets the same hourly pay increase according to the contract.
This. And a unionized Cast Member can get away with a *lot* and even progressive discipline does not affect pay.

There is no reason for someone barely squeaking by on a front line Cast Member salary to go above and beyond, especially when you see how some of them are treated by front line leadership. If you don't "believe in the magic" there is no motivation to pour your heart and energy into something that does not return the favor.

Lilofan

This. And a unionized Cast Member can get away with a *lot* and even progressive discipline does not affect pay.

There is no reason for someone barely squeaking by on a front line Cast Member salary to go above and beyond, especially when you see how some of them are treated by front line leadership. If you don't "believe in the magic" there is no motivation to pour your heart and energy into something that does not return the favor.
Progressive discipline in a union environment is totally different than discipline in a non union environment. I've worked in both settings in my state. The union will fight for their employee to get out of discipline that the manager has given to the employee through the grievance process. At times the company must bite the bullet and give into the union when the company loses the fight and the discipline is taken off the employee's record even though the employee violated policy. One company that seems impenetrable for unions to represent their staff is Wal Mart.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Can I suggest that the CM if they want to make a difference , apply for supervisory roles?

Sir_Cliff

"CM might feel more latitude " is an excuse . In other words policies and procedures to include customer service can be " lax" by staff and looked the other way by their managers to hold their staff accountable. Is this what you mean?
Disney is struggling to staff the resort and there are plenty of other jobs that pay comparably in the area. It's not hard to see how this makes it harder for Disney to demand higher standards of their employees than other businesses at the same pay scale. Increasing wages is one way to strengthen their bargaining power in that regard.

I'm always a bit puzzled that parks fans often seem almost offended at the notion CMs should be paid more, but then expect those CMs ringing up their purchases or serving them burgers to go above and beyond to make them feel that they are the magic. Disney can fire everyone who doesn't live up to the highest of standards, but then you'll end up with shuttered stores, restaurants, and resorts.

Lilofan

Disney is struggling to staff the resort and there are plenty of other jobs that pay comparably in the area. It's not hard to see how this makes it harder for Disney to demand higher standards of their employees than other businesses at the same pay scale. Increasing wages is one way to strengthen their bargaining power in that regard.

I'm always a bit puzzled that parks fans often seem almost offended at the notion CMs should be paid more, but then expect those CMs ringing up their purchases or serving them burgers to go above and beyond to make them feel that they are the magic.
Yes increasing wages is key. The difference is the company has one plan to increase wages, the union wants much more . In the end there will be a compromise and the cast will approve their contract .

lazyboy97o

I'm always a bit puzzled that parks fans often seem almost offended at the notion CMs should be paid more, but then expect those CMs ringing up their purchases or serving them burgers to go above and beyond to make them feel that they are the magic. Disney can fire everyone who doesn't live up to the highest of standards, but then you'll end up with shuttered stores, restaurants, and resorts.
Exactly. And you see it with the way people react to these vary sort of negotiations. Despite saying that workers shouldn’t take a job if they don’t like the pay, the workers pushing for differences is treated as some thing they should not be doing. A lot of it seems to be the cycle of abuse, I wasn’t paid/treated well so these people shouldn’t be paid/treated well either.

Patcheslee

That's the downfall of what both sides have chosen to do across the board vs performance based.
It'd be interesting to read the entire proposal vs the snips of updates released.

Lilofan

That's the downfall of what both sides have chosen to do across the board vs performance based.
It'd be interesting to read the entire proposal vs the snips of updates released.
I've never heard of a union contract of a company that was performance base pay. It is always across the board that I understand. There would be grievances left and right if performance base by staff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom