News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Jrb1979

I don't know where streaming is heading but I can say I used to spend more $ on Disney movies at theaters and the Disney Movie Club per year than I do D+ currently. However I do not know the break down of profits from the theaters and movie club vs D+. Maybe the are making more pure profit from me via D+? Either way I'm spending less.
For now. Eventually they will cost close to what cable cost. Especially if you subscribe to more then just one.

_caleb

I don't know where streaming is heading but I can say I used to spend more $ on Disney movies at theaters and the Disney Movie Club per year than I do D+ currently. However I do not know the break down of profits from the theaters and movie club vs D+. Maybe the are making more pure profit from me via D+? Either way I'm spending less.
Yes, you may be spending less in total, but streaming reduces Disney's cost, too.

Plus, there are a lot more streaming subscribers than theatergoing Movie Club members.
For now. Eventually they will cost close to what cable cost. Especially if you subscribe to more then just one.
I do think subscription costs will continue to rise, but streaming provides opportunity for lots more ways to generate revenue. No need to assume they'll automatically fall back into the cable model just because some aspects look similar right now.

Jrb1979

Yes, you may be spending less in total, but streaming reduces Disney's cost, too.

Plus, there are a lot more streaming subscribers than theatergoing Movie Club members.

I do think subscription costs will continue to rise, but streaming provides opportunity for lots more ways to generate revenue. No need to assume they'll automatically fall back into the cable model just because some aspects look similar right now.
I wasn't looking at it from the companies perspective but as a subscriber perspective. My point is that the original reason many cut the cord was due to cost. Eventually streaming is going to be close to that if it hasn't already.

Disstevefan1

You really don't understand why Disney+ was created? ...
I do not.

Instead of Disney making money from its content selling to streaming companies, it continues to pour money into the money pit that is Disney+

I hope the reason they are pouring money into the money pit that is Disney+ isn’t to “gather the data of their target audience”

There’s got to be less expensive ways to do it.

Animaniac93-98

You're not the only one.

I feel like they made a major miscalculation as to how Disney+ would impact all their other revenue streams.

_caleb

I do not.

Instead of Disney making money from its content selling to streaming companies, it continues to pour money into the money pit that is Disney+
Um, so they can sell it directly to you without any other companies taking a cut?
I hope the reason they are pouring money into the money pit that is Disney+ isn’t to “gather the data of their target audience”

There’s got to be less expensive ways to do it.
They are indeed gathering data of their target audience(s), but I don’t think this is why they pivoted their business to streaming. It’s to cut out all the middlemen (hence the initiative being called “direct-to-consumer”).

The costs are still being figured out, but this model can scale infinitely. As they collect data on what people watch, they’re better able to predict what audiences will watch (and keep subscribing for).

JoeCamel

Um, so they can sell it directly to you without any other companies taking a cut?

They are indeed gathering data of their target audience(s), but I don’t think this is why they pivoted their business to streaming. It’s to cut out all the middlemen (hence the initiative being called “direct-to-consumer”).

The costs are still being figured out, but this model can scale infinitely. As they collect data on what people watch, they’re better able to predict what audiences will watch (and keep subscribing for).
The reason they went to streaming is they have lots of content and want that sweet subscription money. When you have a huge subscriber base you can use that as collateral to finance further moves. Having a monthly base is more attractive than putting out a movie and hoping people come to see it.

EPCOT-O.G.

The reason they went to streaming is they have lots of content and want that sweet subscription money. When you have a huge subscriber base you can use that as collateral to finance further moves. Having a monthly base is more attractive than putting out a movie and hoping people come to see it.
Yes, but it seems like huge back catalogues don’t have the value that new seasons of series do. Being able to watch the Disney Afternoon or the 90’s Spider-Man series doesn’t cut down on churn- new seasons of The Mandalorian or Stranger Things does. I don’t think the need to develop D+ was necessarily unwise; physical media sales are dropping off a cliff and theatrical releases are becoming more costly and less of a sure thing. Better to disrupt themselves than become Blockbuster or MGM.

JoeCamel

Yes, but it seems like huge back catalogues don’t have the value that new seasons of series do. Being able to watch the Disney Afternoon or the 90’s Spider-Man series doesn’t cut down on churn- new seasons of The Mandalorian or Stranger Things does. I don’t think the need to develop D+ was necessarily unwise; physical media sales are dropping off a cliff and theatrical releases are becoming more costly and less of a sure thing. Better to disrupt themselves than become Blockbuster or MGM.
I'm not normal I guess, once I've seen something I have no desire to rewatch so new is the only way I roll. Seeing sleeping beauty for the seventh time is about six too many for me. I can't recite all the iterations of every movie ever made either like some can, I just don't care that much.
The cost of content is the hurdle all streamers will face and it is a hefty one. I enjoy the unscripted reality shows like Goldrush or Moonshiners to see something new not the same dialogue I remember hearing before.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney collects tons of data about viewer behavior. If they have a bunch of content that isn’t adding value to their platforms (as in-few people are watching these series/shows and nobody is signing up just to watch them), what’s the downside of licensing some of that to other platforms?
If few people are watching these series/shows, why would others want to buy/license it for their streaming platforms?

CAV

The two quarters of GDP contraction a year ago (one of which was rather small) did not portend a recession. The two quarters after that had GDP gains.

Inflation rate is coming down.

Number of jobs added continues to chug along nicely quarter by quarter.

And unemployment is at a historic low.

There is no recession on the horizon, as people have been saying since the start of the pandemic.

Only one thing now can threaten an actual recession: The U.S. defaulting on its debt payments. And that's in the hands of the House.
The unemployment rate only counts those who are looking for work. A more accurate statistic is the Labor Force Participation Rate. Aside from the covid dip, its the lowest its been in over 2 decades. Inflation rate "coming down" is like saying, "my fever is only 104 degrees. It was 106 degrees yesterday."

The economy is not good and it is not getting better. The National Debt is 31 trillion....TRILLION. And growing exponentially. Every taxpayer owes $294,000 to pay off the ND. we are on an unsustainable path.

Touchdown

We are the reserve currency of the world we have to be in debt, as other countries have to have a way to access our currency to hold in reserve. If we restricted access to our currency and stopped selling bonds to other countries then we would cease to be the world currency. The dollar is currently quite strong. This talk of the debt being a problem is hogwash. I worry far more about the feds balance sheet then the national debt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom