Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

bcoachable

I don't consider myself savvy when it comes to the 21st century, but I did that. I cancelled Netflix last year until this current season of The Crown came out. I'm watching them now. I plan to cancel Netflix again next month until Season 6 comes out. I'm happy to wait.

And I'm not even watching my pennies. I just don't like paying for stuff I don't use. Like Cable TV (when over 99% of it I never watched). Or airline travel insurance (when there's over a 99% chance the plane will land safely). Or gym memberships (when 99 years ago I stopped caring).

I'm not tech-savvy, nor am I concerned about minor cash outflows. So I certainly can't be the only one cancelling and then re-subscribing for short bursts.
Just stumbled on the crown- really enjoying that one!

MarvelCharacterNerd

I wish they’d let us subscribe to Paramount+ by the hour or something.
They pretty much do. Through Amazon at least twice in the past year they offered it for 99 cents/month for two months.

Have had Hulu for 99 cents/month for the past year and just canceled because the promo price ran out and wasn't going to pay more than that for it.

But Disney is still getting my money since I took the year deal with them before that price goes up, too. Plan to cancel at the end of that and just churn in and out for new Marvel content unless they offer some kind of promo price then, too.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm from Canada and we like hockey here.
I'm from extreme N. Minnesota and hockey is King here. Kids start when they are able to walk and keep at it, IF they can afford it. It's very expensive to have kids play hockey here.
It's funny how different areas have different sports they love. I lived in Tennessee, and baseball was King.
In Ohio it was Ohio State Football, LOL, and the Cincinnati Reds.
Just an observation of those states.

MrPromey

He wanted to hang with creatives. A shell like others he put on

I think that was his saving grace.

He may not have had the same genuine enthusiasm as the guy who came before him but he could fake it and he was, himself, a good enough story teller. I think he would have been able to talk to a group of investors about the current situation with earnings and make it possible for more to believe that it was still all part of a master plan - not a surprise, nothing for anyone to lose their minds over - because Disney is a creative company and in that environment, there is going to always be an element of a black box, you have to trust the process, investing in the future, yada, yada, yada, yada.

The problem with the Bob we have is, he can't tell a story. He has no discernible public personality and doesn't even seem to like the creative aspect of things.

The black box scares him.

He's not the guy you want to have reassuring numbers people out there about the black box.

One would wonder (as I have) why he would even want to be in charge of a company like Disney beyond the ego trip of being "the boss" (and I guess, the money).

As we know, he is firmly a numbers guy, himself. He's replaced or demoted people around him who understood the creative process and put other number people in charge of everything. It's literally all he has to hang his hat on and it's not exactly a secret he is out of his depth in all other aspects within this company. Anyone - investors, fans, politicians - can clearly see it.

Fans hate him, politicians see him as a punching bag but as long as those numbers look good, Wall Street will give him a pass.

But... when he has to explain how the only thing he's allegedly good at isn't looking so great, there is nothing to divert people's attention with.

This Bob and his side kick Christine just tried to smile their way through the numbers on that call. Commentators zeroed right in on it pointing out how the two of them seemed bizarrely chipper and upbeat while giving numbers they had to know were going to rattle Wall Street - like they were somehow detached from reality about it all.

News flash to Bob - pretending to be happy while giving out bad news isn't story telling. There's got to be a Master Class you can watch that'll help with this. Maybe the one on acting by Natalie Portman or the one by Richard Branson on Disruptive Entrepreneurship?

Heck, maybe Christine could take the one by Steve Martin on comedy so she can come up with some quips to throw out that'll actually make people laugh instead of alienating a portion of their consumer base.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

That’s just it…when you’re a one trick pony, and your pony ain’t running the race to well, how long before that pony is exiled to the glue factory…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom