Pre-Trip There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays - A Pre-Trip Report

Hello Humans! And if you're reading this on the day I'm posting it, Happy Halloween! If you're reading it November 1st or later, Happy Holidays! While I don't normally decorate our house for the holidays until the weekend before Thanksgiving, I absolutely start listening to Christmas music on November 1st...and I may be listening to it now as I type this...you know, to get me in the right mindset for this report. 😂

Before we get down to the details, I'll share some family/Lincoln updates first. Since our last trip, we've had a busy summer and fall, with lots of outdoor time for Lincoln (his favorite place to be is "oushide").

573C717E-5AE2-48F9-908D-88AF5B0CE4B5.jpeg

D0F50164-21E2-44F0-AA5F-9D0592D051AC.jpeg

E30187AC-B9FD-48C0-B28F-DFFF5D9642A2.jpeg

E6398A4F-BB6C-443D-8C86-5CA15E165EA6.jpeg

D9D92D34-72A7-4552-BE05-02B2216A0DD8.jpeg

Lincoln has started walking, and now running. He loves the independence, but it makes me a little nervous in a crowded place, so I'm looking into purchasing a toddler leash. I'd rather have a leashed kid than a lost kid. My mom and I took him to the Tennessee Aquarium a few weeks ago, and since it wasn't terribly crowded, I let him get out of the stroller and walk a bit. He also figured out that he can "push" the stroller, and that's all he wanted to do the rest of the time we were there. I can't wait to see how that plays out at WDW. 😬

C3121F2C-E316-41E5-AC40-2FFD2AD45337.jpeg

He also got a baby cousin at the end of August - my younger brother and his wife are new parents to a little girl. I'm not going to show pictures of other people's kids on here, but trust me when I say she's a doll. He got his first haircut earlier this month - I had hoped to hold out until this trip so he could get his first haircut at Harmony Barber shop in MK, but it was getting a little long.

0C47EC7F-F1AD-40DD-BACE-C8AD6B95A00F.jpeg

He and I were in an accident a few weeks ago. We hit a deer (or more accurately, a deer hit us) - the deer was seemingly fine, Lincoln and I were both fine, but my car was not. Thankfully, I should be getting it back from the shop today or tomorrow.

007349A1-348F-4CD7-99FA-895FAA022EED.jpeg

And a couple weeks ago, Lincoln tested positive for RSV. Thankfully, it was not severe enough to warrant hospitalization, but it's been rough for the little guy.

4B9A2874-049F-4C56-A0B9-4DB86746A6AA.jpeg

Thankfully, things seem to be looking up. Lincoln is feeling much better, we'll have my car back this week, and we have a Disney trip to look forward to in just a few weeks!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
With all of the personal updates out of the way, let's get down to business!

If you've been following my reports for a while, you'll know that we love to visit the Disney parks during the holiday season - this will be our seventh year in a row going for the holidays. We usually go the week after Thanksgiving (hence why I decorate for the holidays the weekend before Thanksgiving). Last year, I moved our trip back a couple weeks in order to meet up with some out-of-state family. Not making that mistake again.

When: Sunday, November 27th - Friday, December 2nd. We've experienced lower(ish) crowds and really mild weather on past trips during this week, so we're hoping for more of the same this year.

Who: Just the three of us this time - Me (Katie), my husband of 9 years tomorrow, Jason, and our soon-to-be 17-month-old, Lincoln

AEA41CBB-5EBE-4E44-8046-0D24116ED241.jpeg

E80BCD58-48BF-46E3-8E40-203C23CDFE5A.jpeg

1D5AFE72-1C44-4424-9765-3E3B8D22809F.jpeg

Where: All Star Movies. Jason and I stayed at All Star Movies back in 2018, and absolutely loved it. We can't wait for Lincoln to see the larger-than-life Buzz and Woody!

0890F739-45D9-4910-9F9C-F769DDF42409.jpeg

0FD72735-F620-43FB-AB7E-2DF1C42206FE.jpeg

BFA7D937-CB77-4486-9436-4A9FFC438534.jpeg

We have four-day base tickets this time - we were able to park hop a few times on our last trip with my mom and sister, but we don't foresee that happening on this trip. We'll be purchasing Genie+ Lightning Lane access again this trip- it was much more convenient when you were able to purchase it ahead of time as part of your package, rather than having to buy it each day. I know many people aren't a fan, but I don't see the paid Lightning Lanes going away anytime soon.

Speaking of prices - we may be dropping down to one trip a year after this trip. Jason and I had APs for a few years before Lincoln was born, and I was also a travel agent at the time, so we were able to do 3-4 Disney trips a year for relatively cheap. After Lincoln was born, we said we wanted to do two trips a year - one in the late spring for Flower and Garden, and one for the holidays. But it has just gotten so expensive. The other day, for kicks, I looked to see if I could find the email confirmation for our first trip, back in 2014. For the two of us to stay for five nights at Coronado Springs, with four-day park hopper tickets, AND the dining plan, we paid $1763. For this trip - five nights at an All Star resort, four-day base tickets, and no dining plan, we're paying just over $2000. Which is downright cheap for WDW these days. We paid $2700 for our last trip back in May/June.

There are also so many other places we want to take Lincoln, and we want to do more family vacations with the grandparents. Nothing has been set in stone, but it's looking more and more like our annual holiday trip will become our only annual Disney trip. I know we are so privileged to have been able to do Disney so many times, and even going once a year is a huge privilege.

If we do choose to drop down to one trip per year, we'll of course go during the holidays - there is nothing more magical than the Disney parks at Christmastime.

9E2E4478-0C42-4E23-9A8A-8265529127CD.jpeg

BF34DDFC-9B59-40E0-8067-B4841CE95C50.jpeg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Yay for another trip from you and the family. Even though I never had kids, I never judge the parents that have a kid on a leash. I think it is a smart idea for crowds.

I received a leash with some sort of basket of kids safety items. In the end I never needed to use it but I definitely would have if I felt that it would have kept my daughter safer. She always accepted to hold my hand if I told her she needed to, so a leash wasn’t necessary.

One thing they teach kids in daycare here, when they go out in smaller groups, is that the older kids who are not in the stroller must hold on to the side of the stroller frame - so much like Lincoln pushing his own stroller but it moves in a straighter line 😉

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Glad to read you were both fine and that Lincoln is feeling better!! Can't wait to read about your trip!!
Thank you!
Following along!

Max
Thanks Max! I can't wait to read more of your TR!
Merry Christmas GIF by Mic

Lincoln is such a cutie. Sounds like it’s going to be a fun trip.
I love Leslie Knope. I AM Leslie Knope. 😂 Thank you!
Hustling Scrooge Mcduck GIF

Can’t wait!
Is that Bob Paycheck counting his money? 😂
That picture of Lincoln at the bottom of the slide - a look of pure joy 🥰
I know! That's one of our favorite pictures of him. 🥰
Pleased to hear Lincoln is feeling better. Looking forward to your Christmas photos from WDW.
Thank you!
Excited to follow along!
Thanks for being here!
YAY! a Christmas trip report! Looking forward to it!
It doesn't get more magical than Disney at Christmas!
Yay for another trip from you and the family. Even though I never had kids, I never judge the parents that have a kid on a leash. I think it is a smart idea for crowds.
I know it looks funny, but if it keeps him safe, it's worth it!
We’ll be there right after you - the 3rd through the 10th! And funnily enough, our anniversary is also right after yours - celebrating 10 years on the 3rd!
Happy Anniversary!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I got one that wraps around my wrist and my 2yo’s wrist at either end, so it feels less like a “leash”. Or at least it’s equally a leash for me and for her! 😂
That's the kind I'm looking into!
I received a leash with some sort of basket of kids safety items. In the end I never needed to use it but I definitely would have if I felt that it would have kept my daughter safer. She always accepted to hold my hand if I told her she needed to, so a leash wasn’t necessary.

One thing they teach kids in daycare here, when they go out in smaller groups, is that the older kids who are not in the stroller must hold on to the side of the stroller frame - so much like Lincoln pushing his own stroller but it moves in a straighter line 😉
A YouTuber I follow has a handle thingy that clips to the side of their stroller for their toddler to hold onto - I've looked at those as well.
Glad to hear that Lincoln is better now. I'm looking forward to the rest of your TR, so count me in! :)
Thank you!
Yay! Can't wait to see all your Christmas pics and hear about your adventures with Lincoln!
Thanks for being here!
Will Ferrell Santa GIF by filmeditor

Count me in! Looking forward to it.
Thanks for following along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom