Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

TTA94

Moving past today's successful launch of D100 at Disneyland, what are we supposed to be looking forward to for the rest of the celebration?
  • Indy refurb (timed with IJ5 release?)
  • Swiss Family Robinson treehouse (maybe?)
Is that all?

MSEP or PTN? Logistically needs to be PTN at DCA.

TP2000

It literally just started yesterday, give people some time to get there and experience it!

This toxic social media idea that if something isn't immediately swarming with buzz throughout vast swarms of humanity it must be an instant failure is really poisoning our society.

These are not people on Social Media. And if you dare bring your phone out at the dinner table it's a huge faux pas with my crowd. :mad:

But these are smart and savvy folks, people who travel and have been to Disneyland in the past.

I remember the Pre-Social Media buzz around the 50th, that was huge. Kids on the tennis courts were talking about it. I remember when Cars Land opened, that was big. The buzz around the 60th and its new shows and parades was also big.

Are people talking about Disney100? My sense is that they aren't, because I haven't heard of any chatter about it. Nothing about the new water show or the new ride. The rest is just a modest decor package and plastic junk for sale in shops, so I wouldn't expect there to be buzz about that in any way.

But maybe that's part of the lack of buzz? Disney100 is really just a revamped water show and a new ride in Toontown.

PiratesMansion

These are not people on Social Media. And if you dare bring your phone out at the dinner table it's a huge faux pas with my crowd. :mad:

But these are smart and savvy folks, people who travel and have been to Disneyland in the past.

I remember the Pre-Social Media buzz around the 50th, that was huge. Kids on the tennis courts were talking about it. I remember when Cars Land opened, that was big. The buzz around the 60th and its new shows and parades was also big.

Are people talking about Disney100? My sense is that they aren't, because I haven't heard of any chatter about it. Nothing about the new water show or the new ride. The rest is just a modest decor package and plastic junk for sale in shops, so I wouldn't expect there to be buzz about that in any way.

But maybe that's part of the lack of buzz? Disney100 is really just a revamped water show and a new ride in Toontown.
You're forgetting new fireworks too! :)

TP2000

You're forgetting new fireworks too! :)

Disneyland has had fireworks since 1958. That kind of stuff doesn't break through with normals, people who don't spend time on Disneyland chat boards. A revamped fireworks show is an even less impactful offering than a revamped World of Color in DCA.

Full Disclosure: It probably didn't help matters that I spent an hour or so yesterday late afternoon on this board getting all caught up on Disney100 topics. Then I went off to a long dinner party where for the next five hours a gaggle of us talked about a thousand little topics and current events and Disneyland never came up. 🤣

Perhaps in March when Toontown actually opens, and the Magic Happens parade opens, they'll do another marketing push for Disneyland based on the Disney100 campaign? A shame they couldn't time it all to open on January 27th, or at least wait five more weeks to debut Disney100 with its entire roster of new stuff in early March.

Until then, Disney100 is really just all about the Mickey ride in Toontown. Which is a true gem of a ride, don't get me wrong! But the rest of Disney100 is nothing to cause people to change vacation plans to Anaheim. At least yet.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Disneyland has had fireworks since 1958. That kind of stuff doesn't break through with normals, people who don't spend time on Disneyland chat boards. A revamped fireworks show is an even less impactful offering than a revamped World of Color in DCA.

Full Disclosure: It probably didn't help matters that I spent an hour or so yesterday late afternoon on this board getting all caught up on Disney100 topics. Then I went off to a long dinner party where for the next five hours a gaggle of us talked about a thousand little topics and current events and Disneyland never came up. 🤣

Perhaps in March when Toontown actually opens, and the Magic Happens parade opens, they'll do another marketing push for Disneyland based on the Disney100 campaign? A shame they couldn't time it all to open on January 27th, or at least wait five more weeks to debut Disney100 with its entire roster of new stuff in early March.

Until then, Disney100 is really just all about the Mickey ride in Toontown. Which is a true gem of a ride, don't get me wrong! But the rest of Disney100 is nothing to cause people to change vacation plans to Anaheim. At least yet.
I mean, you can believe what you want to believe, but the reception from people who have actually gone seems to be largely positive, so...

And yeah, Disneyland has had fireworks for a long time, but you know perfectly well that there's a difference between Fantasy in the Sky in 1958 and what they're doing now. And that some of the fireworks shows have been received more positively than others. If you don't care, that's fine, but plenty of people do, and they seem to think of the new show largely as a worthy successor to Disneyland Forever. Maybe...gasp...Disneyland...actually...did some things right for the celebration! You know, that thing that we all allegedly want from them, to do things that people like!

I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative, but if I have to choose between believing people who have actually been and people who have not, that's not a hard decision for me. To say that the celebration isn't important/is a bust/etc because you didn't personally talk about it at a dinner party on the literal day it officially started is pretty dubious to me.

Parteecia

Was the All American College Band even there last year?

Maybe I missed them, but normally in late July they were there in the past. But I have no memory of seeing or hearing anything of them in 2022.
It was. And I will miss it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Here are the Top 10 characters selected by Disneyland resort cast members for their new name tags at the time of the Disney100 launch on Jan. 27, according to Disneyland officials."
  1. Stitch
  2. Tinker Bell
  3. Spider-Man
  4. Ariel
  5. Wall-E
  6. Mickey Mouse
  7. Belle
  8. Darth Vader
  9. Donald Duck
  10. Scarlet Witch
"Not every character was available in the vast Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars catalog. Cast members report that characters from the Muppets and “The Nightmare Before Christmas” were unavailable — as were some of the Seven Dwarfs."

Practical Pig

"Not every character was available in the vast Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars catalog. Cast members report that characters from the Muppets and “The Nightmare Before Christmas” were unavailable — as were some of the Seven Dwarfs."
I'm guessing Dopey, Grumpy, Sleepy, and Sneezy. And possibly Doc which has a few unfortunate slang associations.

IanDLBZF

It was. And I will miss it.

And they're planning to restart it.

wtyy21

Four Disney100 banner now corrected. Notably for Disney Cruise Line, the banner reflects the 1998 first sailing of Disney Magic as its founding year according to Disney. They currently celebrate 25th anniversary this year. WDW now has the correct name at the banner "WALT DISNEY WORLD" (Disney and World with space)
https://.com/2023/01/four-erroneous...orrect-years-and-titles-at-disneyland-resort/
Disney100-Banners-Replaced-00006.jpg

Disney100-Banners-Replaced-00003.jpg

Disney100-Banners-Replaced-00001.jpg

Disney100-Banners-Replaced-00002.jpg

Disney Analyst

Four Disney100 banner now corrected. Notably for Disney Cruise Line, the banner reflects the 1998 first sailing of Disney Magic as its founding year according to Disney. They currently celebrate 25th anniversary this year. WDW now has the correct name at the banner "WALT DISNEY WORLD" (Disney and World with space)
View attachment 695697
View attachment 695698
View attachment 695699
View attachment 695700

The poor intern who made the originals…

CaptinEO

View attachment 695697
View attachment 695698
View attachment 695699
View attachment 695700
Do we still have Disney Bros Studios banner?

SuddenStorm

Rolling Stones mistakenly say Disneyland "celebrate its (theme park) 100th anniversary", however the park itself is not open until 1955 and this year is actually 100th anniversary of The Walt Disney Company and hosted at DL.

I mean, for people like us who live and breathe Disneyland it seems like a silly mistake. And Rolling Stone should do their research.

But it is kind of confusing to have a Disney100 celebration at Disneyland so I can see how that mistake could be made.

SuddenStorm

It should be taking place at Iger's mansion open to the public.

It should be at Walt Disney World. The huge complex that encompasses more than just a couple theme parks and a strip mall and, with the proper management, would be better suited for the event from a logistics standpoint.

The problem is, the Disneyland Resort is too much ingrained around Disneyland. Even DCA doesn't have it's own identity in the public eye- it's just an extension of Disneyland proper. So of course any large celebration would be attributed to Disneyland.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It should be at Walt Disney World. The huge complex that encompasses more than just a couple theme parks and a strip mall and, with the proper management, would be better suited for the event from a logistics standpoint.
While I agree with the sentiment in theory, if it’s a celebration of the company itself it does make sense to have it at least partially in and around the greater Los Angeles area where the company was founded, which includes DL as a prominent touch point in the history of TWDC.

Ideally WDW would play a prominent role too, though but after the embarrassment that was the 50th I think we need to emphasize and embolden your own point above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom