My apologies to the entire board

Status
Not open for further replies.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Allow me to begin by saying that, since I have been a member of this forum, I have had a ton of fun here, I have learned so much about WDW, and I have had some really great people answer questions for me and help me with my planning of WDW family vacations.

All that said, I have noticed that things here seem to all too often devolve into argument, including personal attacks, when people do not agree on a particular topic, especially when that topic is the current state of WDW. It is a sad situation when people are incapable of civilly and respectfully discussing opposing views. While not alone by any stretch, I have without a doubt been one of the board’s offenders in this regard. For that I am truly sorry, and for me that stops right now.

I absolutely love WDW (as I’m certain most of us do) and all that it has meant to me and my family over the years, and I don’t see that ever stopping, regardless of what changes do or do not happen. I will continue to visit this forum for all of the wonderful reasons that I listed at the beginning of this post. What I will no longer do, however, is ruin this board with argument or any unpleasant back and forth, no matter what anyone else says to me or how they say it.

Again, I sincerely apologize to everyone here for the times that I may have negatively affected or otherwise ruined your experience. I can assure you all that it will not happen again, as I will keep in mind a saying that I recently heard - “you don’t have to attend every argument to which you are invited.”

I hope you all can accept my apology. And I also hope that your next trips to WDW are the best ones of your lives!

Last edited:

dreday3

Everyone puts their foot in their mouth sometimes.

I think people need to remember, some people like to be contrarian, some people enjoy arguing for sport and some people complain about things like it's their job. :D

If something/someone bothers you, just ignore it. That's it. For the most part, no one's mind will ever be changed on the internet.

(and the easiest way to annoy someone who lives for the argument is to ignore them ;) )

Br0ckford

No worries. The internet has become a place to anonymously take out aggression. I am sure even the most even tempered of us has participated in it. I know I have. I just tell myself that not every thought has to be typed. State the case and move on. Arguments are mentally and physically exhausting.
I prefer humor. It's healthier.
Have a great day.

Goofyernmost

Why is everything opposing our own view considered to be confrontational. Discussions are meant to be, just that, discussion. A discussion is extremely short if everyone just has the same viewpoint. There are many ways that do not require insults or name calling. That is the most classless of our population. I admit that I have reverted to that, but usually only when I have been attacked in that way.

We are currently in a society that seems unhappy unless they just spout off incorrect, misleading statements and do nothing but repeatedly say the same things with no degree of proof or logic. It is indeed frustrating, but that doesn't mean that either side is wrong. We believe mostly what we want to believe. As others have stated if it gets to the point that is intolerable to witness, move on to some other thread. The protagonist may assume that they won the discussion, but we know that we just left it because talking to walls is not a fun journey.

There is nothing wrong about stating your opinion or even your knowledge about a topic, but there is nothing to gained by getting upset when people disagree. There is no prize at the end for the debate winner and it will take the joy out of your experiences. All of us have had different historical experiences and our current attitude weighs heavily on how long ago our image of WDW was formed, for example, and how we feel about it today. We are not wrong about what was going on early on and you are not wrong about your expectations but they aren't always the same. You just have to be secure in your own feelings and enjoy it for what it means to you. Neither of us will convince each other anyway, but we might get a little insight that will help us realize the reality of fantasy.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Allow me to begin by saying that, since I have been a member of this forum, I have had a ton of fun here, I have learned so much about WDW, and I have had some really great people answer questions for me and help me with my planning of WDW family vacations.

All that said, I have noticed that things here seem to all too often devolve into argument, including personal attacks, when people do not disagree on a particular topic, especially when that topic is the current state of WDW. It is a sad situation when people are incapable of civilly and respectfully discussing opposing views. While not alone by any stretch, I have without a doubt been one of the board’s offenders in this regard. For that I am truly sorry, and for me that stops right now.

I absolutely love WDW (as I’m certain most of us do) and all that it has meant to me and my family over the years, and I don’t see that ever stopping, regardless of what changes do or do not happen. I will continue to visit this forum for all of the wonderful reasons that I listed at the beginning of this post. What I will no longer do, however, is ruin this board with argument or any unpleasant back and forth, no matter what anyone else says to me or how they say it.

Again, I sincerely apologize to everyone here for the times that I may have negatively affected or otherwise ruined your experience. I can assure you all that it will not happen again, as I will keep in mind a saying that I recently heard - “you don’t have to attend every argument to which you are invited.”

I hope you all can accept my apology. And I also hope that your next trips to WDW are the best ones of your lives!
If you are apologizing for a personal attacks that's one thing, in my opinion in that case, some of the blame should then go to the moderators who are too busy telling folks to stop discussing politics, masking, or electric cars.

If we all stay away from personal attacks, we should feel free express our opinion positive or negative.

Everyone on these boards must remember, no matter what is discussed here, Disney will do what Disney will do.

I am happy for you that your love for Disney will never stop, regardless of what changes do or do not happen.

Chi84

Premium Member
If you are apologizing for a personal attacks that's one thing, in my opinion in that case, some of the blame should then go to the moderators who are too busy telling folks to stop discussing politics, masking, or electric cars.
I actually appreciate it when the moderators step in to tell people to stay on topic. One or two off-topic posts can't be helped, but if people want to go into in-depth discussions about matters that are not the subject of the thread, it's much better if they start a completely different thread. Anyone is able to do so. People clicking on a thread about the impact of a hurricane on WDW don't want to sort through page after page about electric cars.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Why is everything opposing our own view considered to be confrontational. Discussions are meant to be, just that, discussion. A discussion is extremely short if everyone just has the same viewpoint. There are many ways that do not require insults or name calling. That is the most classless of our population. I admit that I have reverted to that, but usually only when I have been attacked in that way.

We are currently in a society that seems unhappy unless they just spout off incorrect, misleading statements and do nothing but repeatedly say the same things with no degree of proof or logic. It is indeed frustrating, but that doesn't mean that either side is wrong. We believe mostly what we want to believe. As others have stated if it gets to the point that is intolerable to witness, move on to some other thread. The protagonist my assume that they won the discussion, but we know that we just left it because talking to walls is not a fun journey.

There is nothing wrong about stating your opinion or even your knowledge about a topic, but there is nothing to gained by getting upset when people disagree. There is no prize at the end for the debate winner and it will take the joy out of your experiences. All of us have had different historical experiences and our current attitude weighs heavily on how long ago our image of WDW was formed, for example, and how we feel about it today. We are not wrong about what was going on early on and you are not wrong about your expectations but they aren't always the same. You just have to be secure in your own feelings and enjoy it for what it means to you. Neither of us will convince each other anyway, but we might get a little insight that will help us realize the reality of fantasy.
I think that tone is the answer to your first question. There are ways to politely disagree or oppose without sounding like a total jerk, and the tone of a response goes a long way in determining which category a person fits into.

Chi84

Premium Member
OP, I appreciate the post. Everyone gets pulled into arguments from time to time, but some seem to raise it to an art form. It's difficult to avoid those situations no matter how much self-control you try to exercise.

One thing I find helpful (but don't always succeed in practicing) is to look critically at a comment before posting it. Is it on-topic with substantive content or an appropriate reply to another post? Is any part of the post intended to provoke an argument or insult another poster simply because they don't agree with me?

If someone is here simply to argue, it's probably best to put the person on ignore.

Disstevefan1

I actually appreciate it when the moderators step in to tell people to stay on topic. One or two off-topic posts can't be helped, but if people want to go into in-depth discussions about matters that are not the subject of the thread, it's much better if they start a completely different thread. Anyone is able to do so. People clicking on a thread about the impact of a hurricane on WDW don't want to sort through page after page about electric cars.
I agree, so moderators should moderate. People clicking on a thread about the impact of a hurricane on WDW don't want to read personal attacks either.

The OP mentioned personal attacks, post with personal attacks and off topic posts both should be moderated.

nickys

Premium Member

If we all stay away from personal attacks, we should feel free express our opinion positive or negative.

Everyone on these boards must remember, no matter what is discussed here, Disney will do what Disney will do.

I am happy for you that your love for Disney will never stop, regardless of what changes do or do not happen.
The moderators, all two of them and one of them has to keep the board actually running, can only deal with posts that are reported.

Unless of course they are following you or are pre-moderating all your posts. Neither of which is a “good” sign.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, so moderators should moderate. People clicking on a thread about the impact of a hurricane on WDW don't want to read personal attacks either.

The OP mentioned personal attacks, post with personal attacks and off topic posts both should be moderated.
They are moderated. Nearly every day insulting posts with personal attacks are deleted by the mods. But they are not reviewing comments in real time as they are posted. I think your expectations as to how quickly posts should be removed may be unrealistic given the fact that there are only two moderators. I know the Dis has more so they can probably remove posts more quickly if that's what you're looking for.

Disstevefan1

They are moderated. Nearly every day insulting posts with personal attacks are deleted by the mods. But they are not reviewing comments in real time as they are posted. I think your expectations as to how quickly posts should be removed may be unrealistic given the fact that there are only two moderators. I know the Dis has more so they can probably remove posts more quickly if that's what you're looking for.
The Dis that was a good one, ouch, you got me, nice poke :)

Ha, I personally have no expectations whatsoever and don't get attacked I was giving my opinion based on and keeping in line with the thread and what the OP mentioned about personal attacks.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
workaholics-thts-fine-i-get-that.gif

Chi84

Premium Member
The Dis that was a good one, ouch, you got me, nice poke :)

Ha, I personally have no expectations whatsoever and don't get attacked I was giving my opinion based on and keeping in line with the thread and what the OP mentioned about personal attacks.
I think you may have misunderstood. All I was saying is that not every discussion board is right for every person.

I have no issues whatsoever with the Dis and think it’s a great resource because of how many people post there. I prefer this site because it’s more lightly moderated and seems to allow a greater range of expression and opinions.

I didn’t feel attacked or intend any kind of “poke.” The Dis is much more assertive in removing insulting or off-topic posts. There are people who might find it a better fit than a forum that’s more lightly moderated. Sorry if that didn’t come through as intended.

ETA: I stopped posting on the Dis when I gave my opinion that people should wear something approximating clothes in nicer restaurants and the moderator posted it was bad manners to notice other diners, her personal dress code is “don’t stink,” and then closed the thread.

Last edited:

DisAl

OP, I appreciate the post. Everyone gets pulled into arguments from time to time, but some seem to raise it to an art form. It's difficult to avoid those situations no matter how much self-control you try to exercise.

One thing I find helpful (but don't always succeed in practicing) is to look critically at a comment before posting it. Is it on-topic with substantive content or an appropriate reply to another post? Is any part of the post intended to provoke an argument or insult another poster simply because they don't agree with me?

If someone is here simply to argue, it's probably best to put the person on ignore.
I think most of us have been guilty of "ready, FIRE, aim" at one time or another. I usually read my posts several times, and usually edit more than once before posting.

ceecee101

When I was in the corporate world we had an informal rule that if responding to something contentious give it a 4 hour minimum wait before responding up to 24 hours if it could wait. Remarkable how that helped clarify. Sometimes you’d look back at your draft response and think “no, I don’t need to even send this”. We’re all guilty of quickly going off the rails sometimes.
I love this board WAY more than the others, discussions are generally interesting and helpful. I even learned about insurance in Florida 😎. I can say this was by far the BEST board during Ian, hands down. And I find this board to actually be BETTER than some of the others on argumentativeness. Regardless OP thanks for the reflection and your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom