News More EV charging stations are coming to Disney Springs - September 2022

Disstevefan1

Just under 1% of all the cars in the US are fully electric vehicles. This is a WONDERFUL time for EV drivers as there is no demand for charging stations.

Even if it takes a decade for the EV fad to end, I do not think there will be enough EV drivers to be a problem.

If the EV fad does catch on, the US will have a have a HUGE problem for anyone who needs electricity for anything.

Our electric companies and the infrastructure cannot support it; not to mention how the price for electricity will skyrocket.

bhg469

Just under 1% of all the cars in the US are fully electric vehicles. This is a WONDERFUL time for EV drivers as there is no demand for charging stations.

Even if it takes a decade for the EV fad to end, I do not think there will be enough EV drivers to be a problem.

If the EV fad does catch on, the US will have a have a HUGE problem for anyone who needs electricity for anything.

Our electric companies and the infrastructure cannot support it; not to mention how the price for electricity will skyrocket.
The "fad" is overpricing EVs because Tesla does. Anyone who tells me a tesla interior is luxurious is absolutely lying to themselves.. Once battery technology advances a little further, they will overtake internal combustion engines vehicles for a lot. The country does however need to get their S together and build more nuclear though.. So many environmental issues could be greatly reduced by using it.

JoeCamel

The "fad" is overpricing EVs because Tesla does. Anyone who tells me a tesla interior is luxurious is absolutely lying to themselves.. Once battery technology advances a little further, they will overtake internal combustion engines vehicles for a lot. The country does however need to get their S together and build more nuclear though.. So many environmental issues could be greatly reduced by using it.
can-of-worms.jpg

matt9112

It’d make moving your car once it’s charged a massive pain. Also, it could make installing chargers more expensive if there isn’t existing electrical infrastructure there.

However if there was a large section of chargers further back where you could leave your car plugged in all day without idle fees, that’d work fine.

Would need a very large volume of chargers. And probably a high flat fee. 30 bucks or something to park there and charge no additional fees

Disstevefan1

Agreed, nuclear power IS the solution to global warming.

The power plants can be built 100 percent safe

There are many different fuels that can be used and there are fuels that the waste can be fed back in. Also depending on the fuel, the waste produced is harmless. Today's nuke plants use the fuel they do because it's the same material needed for nuclear missiles

I also agree, if we are turning everything into electric, the US infrastructure would need a lot of work.

I know this will not happen in my time on earth.

matt9112

They have a cult it’s like Apple….is the iPhone the best phone from an actual performance stand point? Often not. However it has the ecosystem and the status that was established by being revolutionary. I would also argue although an expensive extra auto pilot is a luxury item.
(As an aside cheap EVs still have crappy range IMO)

I agree on the nuclear front but nobody wants it. The eco friendly folks won’t let it get put in the green basket and a lot of people think a modern western Westinghouse is somehow remotely related to an RBKM. The fear is rediculous and overblown.

There’s also the fact transmission lines likely can’t handle an electric America. As well as all the associated infrastructure.

Than there’s the cost even if we scaled up with nuclear and grid storage etc. electric rates will go up they will have to somebody will have to pay for it all and it’s not linear. Couple that with the fact charging is often more expensive than gas if you can’t charge at home for whatever reason. What do all the apartment dwellers do? A lot of unanswered questions.

Everyone is full speed EV when in reality hybrid and gas had a lot left in the tank no pun intended. But companies have largely abandoned that in the persuit of PR stardom and government bucks. I think there’s a place for gas 20 years from now but that’s just me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
But the $39k Tesla product absolutely destroys competitors Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt in all categories at very similar pricing.

Cult following is typically for a reason, just like with Apple.

TehPuddingMan

But the $39k Tesla product absolutely destroys competitors Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt in all categories at very similar pricing.

I love my Tesla. True, it doesn’t have the most luxury interior, but it’s an absolute blast to drive.

I hope the EV chargers at Disney Springs is just the beginning of Disney offering more locations, especially at the parks.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
3% of all new car sales are EVs at the moment, and demand is increasing on a daily basis. Leads with my employer for EVs are up over 100%. And as of now, every single EV we drop off at dealers is already presold or has a list of customers waiting to buy it, and our plants are running at capacity with more on the way.

It won't end in a decade, it's here to stay. Just like people said iphones were a fad 15 years ago, and craft breweries were 30 years ago. Consumers tastes change.

Also, the average commuter in the US drives 35 miles a day. Even IF your car gets a horrible 2miles/kwh, that's 17.5 kwh, let's round it up to 20 kwh. That's hardly an issue for our grid, especially with our population stagnating and en route to decline. You aren't charging a battery from 0-100% every day, you're just topping it off.

It's not a fad, it's economics. I see the supplier costs go up regularly, and unfortunately car prices go up with that.

But yeah, Teslas are NOT luxurious at all. My wife's top trim Mazda CX-5 is more luxurious than my brother-in-law's Model S.

Would need a very large volume of chargers. And probably a high flat fee. 30 bucks or something to park there and charge no additional fees
I thought it over and posted another reply, but I think a better solution is 3-4 HUGE EV fast charging/supercharging stations on site with food and merchandise on premises, mostly analogous to the gas stations that are already on property.

Something like this:

Define cheap and define crappy range. The Chevy Bolt and EUV both have over 250 miles for under $30k out the door and the Nissan Leaf plus is about $32k and has a 220-230 mile range. With the average new car price hovering at almost $50k in the US, these are both cheap and with a usable range.

Agreed, nuclear power IS the solution to global warming.

The power plants can be built 100 percent safe
I agree wholeheartedly - but it needs to be done to a standard and maintained, with a competent authority regulating them. I do not trust then to regulate themselves.

They have a cult it’s like Apple….is the iPhone the best phone from an actual performance stand point? Often not. However it has the ecosystem and the status that was established by being revolutionary. I would also argue although an expensive extra auto pilot is a luxury item.

Tesla is absolutely a cult, but no one can argue that they're the ones responsible for making both
1- the first cool EV that people actually want, and
2- bringing EVs to the mainstream.

Before Tesla, EVs in the US were mostly a California-centric/Northeast corridor things. Then the leaf and Model S went national and sold.

There is no $39k Tesla product. The $47k cheapest Tesla is over $50k after all taxes and fees are paid here in Florida.

The Bolt and Bolt EUV can be had for under $30k on-road right now. The Nissan Leaf as well, but with its well known short battery life, isn't the best idea unless you live in a moderate climate.

Last edited:

bhg469

The interior is a padded cell with a tablet.. my argument was that the interior is touted as luxurious when just about every other brand has more appealing look and feel. Don't even get me started on that idiotic yoke style steering wheel.. they make some quick cars but they're not exactly open wheel race cars. And the pricing on the large manufacturer evs across the board went up immediately when the government decided to offer better incentives. That's just greed combined with low supply and high demand.

Kingoglow

Nice to see Level 3 charging at Disney Springs, although Disney's rate is really high (what did I expect?). In that third picture, you see a Tesla parked in the stall but not charging. SHAME on that driver... they should know better than to park at an energy station without charging.

bhg469

Nice to see Level 3 charging at Disney Springs, although Disney's rate is really high (what did I expect?). In that third picture, you see a Tesla parked in the stall but not charging. SHAME on that driver... they should know better than to park at an energy station without charging.
If there is no punishment for doing it, then people will just occupy the spaces out of laziness. The system for these cars makes it super convenient for them to park, often getting better than premium parking. That is of course going to be more of an incentive to take the space even when you don't need it. Not as egregious as taking a handicap space but it is still awfully lazy.

Kingoglow

If there is no punishment for doing it, then people will just occupy the spaces out of laziness. The system for these cars makes it super convenient for them to park, often getting better than premium parking. That is of course going to be more of an incentive to take the space even when you don't need it. Not as egregious as taking a handicap space but it is still awfully lazy.

Yup, all I can do is shout shame in the forums. If I was on site, I might care enough to get them towed.

bhg469

Yup, all I can do is shout shame in the forums. If I was on site, I might care enough to get them towed.
And would they even do that? I'm guess the parking lots at Disney Springs are seen as a free for all. They occasionally have people directing traffic but its pretty rare. What is stopping someone from plugging in an not paying the fee though? I don't own an EV so I don't know the procedure. Can someone just roll up to one of these spots, plug in and walk off?

JoeCamel

A gentler explanation would be that the photographer drove that vehicle to the station to have a prop for photos......

Kingoglow

A gentler explanation would be that the photographer drove that vehicle to the station to have a prop for photos......
Perhaps. Though they may as well have parked a Hummer there for their effort. I have been to Springs and have been to the level 2 chargers and have seen EVs parked but not plugged in.

The whole EV community needs to act against this sort of thing. Charging takes long enough and we shouldn't have to remind one another that there are others that need the energy. People don't park at gas pumps and go into a theme park for several hours, but it happens at the charging stations at Epcot. Charge up, and move your car, like every other fueling station concept. There are charing stations not parking spots.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom