News Figment meet and greet returning to EPCOT at Walt Disney World in a 'whole new way'

Inspired Figment

Makes you wonder if the educational films was a alternative as they were made later in 1988..

Yep, Those were videos/16mm films made for exclusive use in elementary schools. Overall, while I find those short films okay, especially for the younger age range. The Dreamfinders show I think had much better writing & production quality overall that appealed to a wider audience range. Ultimately, I’d be more open to a preschool-kindergarten aimed series ‘if’ you atleast a had a variety of Figment media. The EPCOT pavilion being the core media, and 2 series being spin offs in essence. To avoid the Mickey Mouse problem we’ve been suffering for the past couple decades where there isn’t a proper balance/wider age range in regards to content that appeals to everyone.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Yep, Those were videos/16mm films made for exclusive use in elementary schools. Overall, while I find those short films okay, especially for the younger age range. The Dreamfinders show I think had much better writing & production quality overall that appealed to a wider audience range. Ultimately, I’d be more open to a preschool-kindergarten aimed series ‘if’ you atleast a had a variety of Figment media. The EPCOT pavilion being the core media, and 2 series being spin offs in essence. To avoid the Mickey Mouse problem we’ve been suffering for the past couple decades where there isn’t a proper balance/wider age range in regards to content that appeals to everyone.
It's like they want to vanish the dark history of what Mickey's personality was..Not a lovable little mouse.But, A little B.A.
main-qimg-bec0a3a5ab3a8c38659ab68065cf6e7a

Inspired Figment

It's like they want to vanish the dark history of what Mickey's personality was..Not a lovable little mouse.But, A little B.A.
main-qimg-bec0a3a5ab3a8c38659ab68065cf6e7a
I’d argue it‘s less that and more not acknowledging that they once had a very healthy balance that appealed to everyone in all the cartoon shorts up to Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse (which were tastefully modernized takes on the Freddy Moore style of the 40s & 50s but w more of the personality & playful/exaggerated splastick humor of the Ub Iwerks era). The last decent attempts being Prince & the Pauper, Runaway Brain, Mickey’s Once/Twice Upon a Christmas & Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in The Three Musketeers. Along w the Get A Horse! short. The problem now is the only options you have these days are strictly Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse/Shorts (which feel more like crude Ren &
stimpified parody iterations rather than original Ub Iwerks) & Clubhouse/Playhouse (which is essentially just Dora the Explorer in Mickey Mouse form). Epic Mickey, Kingdom Hearts, Mickey in Get a Horse!, and the recent Goofy How To shorts got it right.. but you see how little of that is supported internally or marketed well by the company for whatever bizarre reason. (Notice Mickey Mouse Works & House of Mouse aren’t available on Disney Plus as of rn.. weird huh?)

Last edited:

Brer Panther

If they go the "talking Figment" route... do you think they'd do it like the talking Mickey with pre-recorded dialogue, or the "Living Character" thing with a Figment performed live by a hidden cast member doing a Figment impression a la Turtle Talk and the Muppet Mobile Labs?

brb1006

I’d argue it‘s less that and more not acknowledging that they once had a very healthy balance that appealed to everyone in all the cartoon shorts up to Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse (which were tastefully modernized takes on the Freddy Moore style of the 40s & 50s but w more of the personality & playful/exaggerated splastick humor of the Ub Iwerks era). The last decent attempts being Prince & the Pauper, Runaway Brain, Mickey’s Once/Twice Upon a Christmas & Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in The Three Musketeers. Along w the Get A Horse! short. The problem now is the only options you have these days are strictly Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse/Shorts (which feel more like crude Ren &
stimpified parody iterations rather than original Ub Iwerks) & Clubhouse/Playhouse (which is essentially just Dora the Explorer in Mickey Mouse form). Epic Mickey, Kingdom Hearts, Mickey in Get a Horse!, and the recent Goofy How To shorts got it right.. but you see how little of that is supported internally or marketed well by the company for whatever bizarre reason. (Notice Mickey Mouse Works & House of Mouse aren’t available on Disney Plus as of rn.. weird huh?)
I grew up on House of Mouse/Mickey Mouse Works as a kid. I remember those were one Disney's last major attempts at making Mickey and Friends relevant and aimed at all audiences pre-Clubhouse. Heck, House of Mouse was my ultimate childhood dream of seeing almost every Disney Character in the same show. Heck, House of Mouse even gave love to their lesser-known and/or obscure characters that I doubt modern Disney would touch. I'm still bummed that House of Mouse only lasted 2 seasons. It's why I'm still hoping on a revival on that show someday.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I grew up on House of Mouse/Mickey Mouse Works as a kid. I remember those were Disney's last major attempts at making Mickey and Friends relevant and aimed at all audiences. Heck, House of Mouse was my ultimate childhood dream of seeing almost every Disney Character in the same show. Heck, House of Mouse even gave love to their lesser-known and/or obscure characters that I doubt modern Disney would touch. I'm still bummed that House of Mouse only lasted 2 seasons. It's why I'm still hoping on a revival on that show someday.
It was 3 seasons and 2 films for HoM..

WorldExplorer

I grew up on House of Mouse/Mickey Mouse Works as a kid. I remember those were Disney's last major attempts at making Mickey and Friends relevant and aimed at all audiences. Heck, House of Mouse was my ultimate childhood dream of seeing almost every Disney Character in the same show. Heck, House of Mouse even gave love to their lesser-known and/or obscure characters that I doubt modern Disney would touch. I'm still bummed that House of Mouse only lasted 2 seasons. It's why I'm still hoping on a revival on that show someday.
It's funny, because the whole "shove tons of characters together and constantly nod at other movies" thing seems to be big now.

You'd think that combined with the whole "it's Mickey Mouse" thing would have at least cemented it as worth a Disney+ slot. I was absolutely shocked it wasn't there.

If they go the "talking Figment" route... do you think they'd do it like the talking Mickey with pre-recorded dialogue, or the "Living Character" thing with a Figment performed live by a hidden cast member doing a Figment impression a la Turtle Talk and the Muppet Mobile Labs?

Talking Mickey seems to be dead while Turtle Talk (and Laugh Floor) live, so I hope they would go for the latter.

brb1006

It's funny, because the whole "shove tons of characters together and constantly nod at other movies" thing seems to be big now.

You'd think that combined with the whole "it's Mickey Mouse" thing would have at least cemented it as worth a Disney+ slot. I was absolutely shocked it wasn't there.

Talking Mickey seems to be dead while Turtle Talk (and Laugh Floor) live, so I hope they would go for the latter.
If a The Proud Family was able to gain a revival series and Clone Wars gaining a final season for Disney+. Then you would think Disney would think of giving a similar treatment to House of Mouse. I can already seeing the revival taking place years after the club shutdown with the first episode showing Mickey and Friends deciding to reopen the place and bringing in newer Disney Characters that were introduced in 2002.

I remember House of Mouse ended before Lilo and Stitch hit theaters, but I vividly remember playing a Toon Disney/Disney XD flash game as a kid based on House of Mouse (when it was moved to Toon Disney in the early 2000s) featuring Lilo and Stitch as guests.

pdude81

I'm assuming this is talking Mickey with either a robot that the voice comes from, or perhaps a Dreamfinder with figment animatronic puppet. I'd prefer the latter but who knows.

mitchk

I’m guessing they’re going to do this meet and greet the same way they’re doing it with the baby Yoda animatronic I just wonder who will be carrying it

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I’m guessing they’re going to do this meet and greet the same way they’re doing it with the baby Yoda animatronic I just wonder who will be carrying it
I was guessing virtual (i.e., via magic shot), or animated. I could, however, see him popping out of a table or something like that.

mitchk

I was guessing virtual (i.e., via magic shot), or animated. I could, however, see him popping out of a table or something like that.
I mean it honestly seems like the most logical thing is to make him like that baby Yoda because if it was just going to be a meet and greet remember the one we had before… figzilla … so if they were just gonna throw a life-size person into a costume I don’t think it would take until the end of 2023.. but I’m just guessing I haven’t heard anything specific

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I mean it honestly seems like the most logical thing is to make him like that baby Yoda because if it was just going to be a meet and greet remember the one we had before… figzilla … so if they were just gonna throw a life-size person into a costume I don’t think it would take until the end of 2023.. but I’m just guessing I haven’t heard anything specific
I think they said "whole new way" just to head off those (including me) who would be incensed at the idea of Figzilla coming back.

RSoxNo1

This was the biggest tone deaf announcement of the entire weekend. Don't get me wrong, if this is a normal sized Figment meet and greet, that's a good thing. But the setup / announcement of this in the room absolutely led people in the room to think they were announcing Dreamfinder and Figment coming back as a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom