Tips for a relaxing trip?

cooldude4000

Hi everyone,

Mid-40s couple planning to visit WDW next year--first time in a LONG while for me, first time ever for my wife. She is more a fan of the "leisurely" -style vacation, not super into waking up early or rushing around a lot, and I'm trying to figure out ways to make that happen.

We went to Disneyland several years ago and I woke up early to rope-drop the park, then she would meet me there a few hours later. Is there any reason we can't do that at WDW? I know it won't be as easy as walking there from the hotel, but I assume it shouldn't be a problem assuming we're staying on-property.

When I've been to WDW in the past, I always had the mindset that you spent as much time in the parks as possible. Leaving mid-day to go back to the resort for a break always felt like a time-waster, but maybe I'm wrong. Not sure if I should plan more non-park days, or more park days and make them shorter.

Any advice would be great!

KaliSplash

You want to rest on your vacation and you're going to Walt Disney World? What are you thinking? :)
I always recommend a mid-day break when traveling with children, even though it can feel like you are not getting your money's worth. Feels even more like that with today's prices. But I know of no reason your original plan shouldn't work. You go theme park commando and your wife can join you wherever you happen to be when she's ready to make an appearance. (of course, you do have to make sure you pave park reservations for the same park.
There are a million things to do that don't involve chasing lighting lane passes and the whole current rigamaroll. Just walking around the parks is always beautiful, especially at night. There are dinners to be had at other hotels in the park, pools, trails, shopping, and so much more.
Yes, you won't be getting every single penny's worth of the park time you paid for, but you are likely to find a very good time. Enjoy

Upvote 1

nickys

Premium Member
You’ll need to plan which park for which day at least. But don’t overplan. Decide where and when you want to eat any TS meals and leave it at that.

No reason at all why you can’t do what you did at DL. Let DW join you when she’s ready. If she wants to leave and go for a swim then fine. As long as she realises that she will have to be selective about what she rides, and may have to wait in long lines for anything that is a “must” for her.

If you plan to hop your DW does need to know she will have to tap into the first park before hopping.

Upvote 1

JIMINYCR

Sure you can rope drop and meet up with DW later. Its your vacation to do it any way you both like. With cell phones its easy to communicate or track where you are at all times so reconnecting when shes ready is no issue.
I'd arrange for a brunch with her in the park or let her leisurely have a late breakfast at the resort before heading out. You have time to do the attractions maybe she isnt a fan of, or spend your time strolling around areas youd like to investigate that she isnt interested in. Do all those things that you know she wouldnt enjoy, then when you meet up do the couples things you both are thrilled over. Take in a tour you might enjoy on a day shes wanting to stay and relax at the resort.
I'd sit with DW and make a plan about her wants and yours are and see what is alike or different. Then plan the park days around the times you set.
On our trips I'm more active than my DW and we have no problem separating for a time so she can rest and I can get more park hours in. I'm a rope drop to closing and fit in as much as I can.

Upvote 1

belledream

Time not spent at a park used to be an impossible thought for me as well. But non park days, or at least an afternoon break, are great! There are so many beautiful resorts to visit… they are all unique and offer so much sightseeing and little nooks and crannies to relax. We’ve done boat and bike rentals in the past, or just taken transportation joyrides on the monorail, boat, or Skyliner.

There are ways to relax at the park too. You can aim to get your must-dos done in the morning, and spend the afternoon enjoying a show or a relaxing ride, or just wandering World Showcase.

Upvote 1

Wendy Pleakley

What's your budget in terms of which resort(s) you're considering staying at.

Staying at the Boardwalk? Walking back to your resort from Epcot or taking the Skyliner from Hollywood Studios is different than, say, waiting for the bus to get to Coronado Springs. It's also appealing in that you could spend the morning at Animal Kingdom for example, take the bus back, and then walk over to Epcot in the evening.

That's a big factor for me in terms of taking an afternoon break.

I also find the moderate resorts relaxing. I enjoy just walking around the expansive grounds. The boat service from French Quarter and Port Orleans to Disney Springs is nice too. Something like Pop Century is more compact and has more kids running about.

Upvote 1

SteveAZee

I did something like what you're doing about 10 years ago. My wife's not a huge fan of Disney Parks, so I explained that my approach would be that we're staying at a nice resort (Old Key West) that just happened to be adjacent to four theme parks. Part of her experience with Disney was Disneyland as a child so her perspective was kiddie rides and PB&J sandwiches.

So each day we'd sleep in, have coffee and/or breakfast in the room, then work our way toward one of the parks (that I had planned out). We'd do an attraction or two, or just wander, then I had a really nice ADR set up for each day, so we'd eat and talk about the afternoon's plans, then go (using FP+) to hit a few of the better attractions that I knew she'd enjoy, then leave toward dinner time and find another nice place to eat or just go back to the resort and have dinner and drinks there. Water parks and going out on the little sprite thingies was also part of the plan. Very low pressure, low commitment on her part.

She had a great time because we weren't running around all day, she could enjoy sit-down dining, and experience some of the better aspects of the parks and the resort in general without going commando. Sure there were things we missed, but I also go with my adult kids and end up doing more with them on other visits. For my wife, though, it was low impact and really a lot of fun for both of us.

You'll probably need to learn G+ and ILL to make it simple for both of you.

My thoughts.

Upvote 1

cooldude4000

Original Poster
This is really helpful, thanks everyone! Right now the plan is to stay at a moderate and take at least one full day off in the middle of the trip to go swimming and see some other resorts; otherwise we're going to do the plan where I go to the parks at opening and she'll join me a few hours later.

I think the main thing for me will be to let go of the mindset that I have to ride everything to get my money's worth; honestly I'm looking forward to just soaking up the ambience more than the actual attractions anyway. Making some lists of "must-dos" will probably help, too.

I'm sure I'll have a million more planning questions, so get used to seeing me here! Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom