Is it really that bad?

rk03221

Original Poster
So we are deciding between DL and WDW with my family (wife, 2 year old and 1 year old and possibly grandparents).

My wife and I used to be cast members and haven’t been since 2018 so a lot has changed. We really wanted everything to be back to normal or near normal before we returned to wdw.

So, we are debating doing a trip to either Disneyland or wdw. At Disneyland, we’d do 4-5 full days and stay at the Disneyland hotel (potentially). For the wdw trip, I’m looking into renting dvc points somewhere or splitting a Disney hotel with the grandparents. The wdw trip would be 7-10 days.

Is disney world really as bad as everyone says it is? Aside from Genie+ as we already know we’re going to not like it lol.

Any advice on what trip you’d go on? Thanks!

Edit: also, we’d go to wdw in the off season in Jan or February. Disneyland would be next summer

ceecee101

Here was an interesting article in TPG newsletter :

that just gives overall opinion on the two. In terms of crowds people here will weigh in. We haven’t been to WDW for over 13 years so this is weighing on our minds too As we go in November. Plan to do DL in Spring.

bhg469

If you have no plans on going to universal in Orlando as well, Disneyland would take it every single time.. The attractions that they share are all better at DL with the exception of the jungle cruise. Everything from food to cast members is just better in Anaheim. The only thing that Orlando has that is better is up I4 at universal.

Weather_Lady

With children that small, I'd give the edge to Disneyland as well, particularly if you plan to stay onsite (although DL also has a number of offsite hotels in easy walking distance). The smaller footprint will be much easier to manage, and there's just as much (if not more) for little ones to appreciate with respect to attractions. WDW may have more to do overall, but with infants/toddlers, your "active time" for touring is going to be significantly limited, and you'll barely get to scratch the surface.

Because it's so much bigger and requires so much more walking, I'd put off WDW for another 3-4 years, until the kids are old/big enough not to need diapers or strollers (and - fingers crossed - maybe parkhopping limits, or park reservations, or Genie+/ILL, might be eliminated or improved by then), but of course, one's tolerance for those things is strictly a personal preference.

Last edited:

jloucks

So we are deciding between DL and WDW with my family (wife, 2 year old and 1 year old and possibly grandparents).

My wife and I used to be cast members and haven’t been since 2018 so a lot has changed. We really wanted everything to be back to normal or near normal before we returned to wdw.

So, we are debating doing a trip to either Disneyland or wdw. At Disneyland, we’d do 4-5 full days and stay at the Disneyland hotel (potentially). For the wdw trip, I’m looking into renting dvc points somewhere or splitting a Disney hotel with the grandparents. The wdw trip would be 7-10 days.

Is disney world really as bad as everyone says it is? Aside from Genie+ as we already know we’re going to not like it lol.

Edit: also, we’d go to wdw in the off season in Jan or February. Disneyland would be next summer
For me, the biggest determiner of good or bad is crowd levels. I am thinking January is about as good as it gets as far as that goes, so it is probably going to be ok.

WDW for sure, if youre doing a 10 day'er. I would be sure to do MK on like a Monday or Tuesday since that park seems to be busiest on the weekend. I'd actually do Uni on the weekend. Last time we got a black Mears suburban back and forth for about $240 total (2 round trips). ...but you could go Lyft Corolla for way cheaper. ...or just switch parks. We have done that before too. The hotels at Uni are pretty darn good and almost all of them are walking distance to the park. Very nice feature!

Last edited:

KaliSplash

For me, it's WDW by a long shot. There are simply More things to do there. 4 parks vs. 2 parks. The ratio is even more in Florida's favor if you add in the water parks.
And yes, that's even with all the stupidity of park reservations and park hopping restrictions and etc.
Just a simple case of more to do.

Californian Elitist

For me, it's WDW by a long shot. There are simply More things to do there. 4 parks vs. 2 parks. The ratio is even more in Florida's favor if you add in the water parks.
And yes, that's even with all the stupidity of park reservations and park hopping restrictions and etc.
Just a simple case of more to do.
There’s roughly the same amount to do in both DL and DCA combined as there is in WDW’s four parks.

@rk03221 Because you have such young children, and grandparents will potentially be going, I’m going to suggest the DLR because of the smaller footprint and the convenience. I’m also suggesting the DLR because of your disdain for Genie+ (me too, btw). I went to WDW in May, and although I didn’t use Genie+, I’ve heard from many people that the system is more effective in California, due to the fact that one can’t order Genie+ until they’ve physically been scanned in, as well as higher capacity in each park.

Wherever you decide to go, hope you and your family have a good time.

Disneyfan_76

I'm a bit partial because I grew up in LA, but I prefer Disneyland over the two locations. We took my daughter there when she was 1 and a half as her first Disney experience and had a great time. Both would be good, but I think the more relaxed vibe and rides would be a good fit for that age group. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and did not have a great experience. I'd recommend the Grand Californian instead.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No

i think both parks will look different in jan/feb than they do now.... especially wdw

disneyfireman

Disney World is GREAT!!!! however, Disneyland is 110% better than the Mk..period no debate. DLR as a whole is fantastic. WDW with 4 parks etc is still a better sole disney destination.....however...If you goto DLR for say 3 days...DL 2. you cant see it all in 1.so have to do 2, then California Adventure 1 day...then maybe goto a SoCal beach or so. Honestly, I kinda like to do DLR more than WDW. - park to park. DL beats MK
However, I dont know who could say DisneyWorld is bad..I just got back..its a great as ever. Genie plus works PERFECTLY...IF you know how to use it..so research it. You'll use it at DL also. I will be doing DL next year. I try to rotate both year to year.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

If you decide to go to DLR, I might recommend renting points to stay at the Grand Californian, and perhaps get a 2 bedroom villa if the grandparents are coming too. It's nice to be able to walk/stroll to the parks, including using the back entrance from the hotel to CA.

Club Cooloholic

You guys will have a great time. Plus the kids are still free!

rk03221

Original Poster
Disney World is GREAT!!!! however, Disneyland is 110% better than the Mk..period no debate. DLR as a whole is fantastic. WDW with 4 parks etc is still a better sole disney destination.....however...If you goto DLR for say 3 days...DL 2. you cant see it all in 1.so have to do 2, then California Adventure 1 day...then maybe goto a SoCal beach or so. Honestly, I kinda like to do DLR more than WDW. - park to park. DL beats MK
However, I dont know who could say DisneyWorld is bad..I just got back..its a great as ever. Genie plus works PERFECTLY...IF you know how to use it..so research it. You'll use it at DL also. I will be doing DL next year. I try to rotate both year to year.
That’s great to hear. We’ve been hearing so many negative things about the parks, I’m trying to differentiate which is legitimate complaints and really just people complaining to complain lol

FullSailDan

Land without a doubt. I grew up going to DL but worked at WDW during college, lived near WDW and was a weekly visitor for many years. I used to really love WDW in the 2000s, but I've been back to Disneyland a few times in recent years and every time theres just something that feels more "authentic". World feels like the budget knock-off in comparison, less curated, more fabricated. Animal Kingdom I think comes the closest to capturing the same feeling of immersion that Disneyland has. In MK I'm constantly pulled out of the storytelling by simple details that just shouldn't be there. Seeing the roofs from splash, the ceiling tiles in Its a small world, the unthemed doors to cast areas, etc. The themeing overall at WDW is pretty... utilitarian these days. It didn't use to be, but the cuts and changes over time have really hurt WDW.

DL is also still run with passion and pride. The park is always clean and full of happy cast members. WDW is like a Walmart compared to a Neimans in this regard. Both have their place, but Walmart at least prices itself appropriately.

There are of course some bright spots at WDW, but I just cant justify spending time at WDW anymore. Both parks suffer from crowding, but by far WDW feels the worst in this regard. You feel like a number at WDW now, I still feel like a guest at Disneyland. Who knows how long that lasts given the current parks strategy. It might not have as many parks, but DL squeezes so much in a tight space. You also can't beat the weather here in SoCal.

rk03221

Original Poster
Land without a doubt. I grew up going to DL but worked at WDW during college, lived near WDW and was a weekly visitor for many years. I used to really love WDW in the 2000s, but I've been back to Disneyland a few times in recent years and every time theres just something that feels more "authentic". World feels like the budget knock-off in comparison, less curated, more fabricated. Animal Kingdom I think comes the closest to capturing the same feeling of immersion that Disneyland has. In MK I'm constantly pulled out of the storytelling by simple details that just shouldn't be there. Seeing the roofs from splash, the ceiling tiles in Its a small world, the unthemed doors to cast areas, etc. The themeing overall at WDW is pretty... utilitarian these days. It didn't use to be, but the cuts and changes over time have really hurt WDW.

DL is also still run with passion and pride. The park is always clean and full of happy cast members. WDW is like a Walmart compared to a Neimans in this regard. Both have their place, but Walmart at least prices itself appropriately.

There are of course some bright spots at WDW, but I just cant justify spending time at WDW anymore. Both parks suffer from crowding, but by far WDW feels the worst in this regard. You feel like a number at WDW now, I still feel like a guest at Disneyland. Who knows how long that lasts given the current parks strategy. It might not have as many parks, but DL squeezes so much in a tight space. You also can't beat the weather here in SoCal.
We love Disneyland much more than wdw, at least myself. I just want a nice Disney family vacation

eliza61nyc

That’s great to hear. We’ve been hearing so many negative things about the parks, I’m trying to differentiate which is legitimate complaints and really just people complaining to complain lol
And remember many of the complaints are from old timers who are comparing everything to the "way it use to be".
I have not been to DL in many many years so I feel a bit dishonest critiquing it.
I have not had a bad trip yet at wdw, I haven't tried out the new Genie plus so that may change my view.
So imo to answer your question, no it is no way as bad as some say and I don't think you'll regret either choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom