Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Finally rode this today...here's my thoughts:

First, this was VERY intense, g-force wise for me and honestly it was about 10% too fast for me to fully enjoy it. IMO the spinning and the things you're expected to look at make it feel worse and I totally understand why people get sick from this ride. I felt it slightly, but not enough to get pukey....no desire to ride it again though, but I'm in my mid 40's now and don't ride a lot of big coasters anymore.

The queue and pre-shows were good. Good use of the size of the buildings they had and the Poseidon's Fury style effect was done well I'm sure more impressive to people who haven't experienced Poseidon's Fury (at IOA).

I was a bit disappointed by the ride itself. It IS mostly in Space with some projects of Eson and you do see the moon and earth and a couple of jump points and other effects but it was just not what I expected. I was hoping with those big projection effects they would have you go through time jumps and see more of the bright colored stuff we've seen in the GOTG movies, or things to show we are traveling through time better. Jokes were fine...Rocket did come off as less snarky but that's probably that they didn't use Bradley Cooper?

My friend I was riding with enjoyed it a lot more than I did, and if the speed was turned down just slightly, or maybe a longer brief slow point between scenes would have helped. At one point after turning I was really feeling not right but it then did a regular straight section for a bit, so I recovered.

I rode Mission:Breakout at DCA and much prefer that honestly.

Disney got what they wanted, a huge indoor thrill ride at EPCOT, but I wonder what they could have done with just the UoE building or using a smaller building behind it.

EDIT: In case it matters, we were in the last car, row 9...apparently that can be more intense than the front.

Last edited:

RyMickey

Finally rode this today...here's my thoughts:

First, this was VERY intense, g-force wise for me and honestly it was about 10% too fast for me to fully enjoy it. IMO the spinning and the things you're expected to look at make it feel worse and I totally understand why people get sick from this ride. I felt it slightly, but not enough to get pukey....no desire to ride it again though, but I'm in my mid 40's now and don't ride a lot of big coasters anymore.

The queue and pre-shows were good. Good use of the size of the buildings they had and the Poseidon's Fury style effect was done well I'm sure more impressive to people who haven't experienced Poseidon's Fury (at IOA).

I was a bit disappointed by the ride itself. It IS mostly in Space with some projects of Eson and you do see the moon and earth and a couple of jump points and other effects but it was just not what I expected. I was hoping with those big projection effects they would have you go through time jumps and see more of the bright colored stuff we've seen in the GOTG movies, or things to show we are traveling through time better. Jokes were fine...Rocket did come off as less snarky but that's probably that they didn't use Bradley Cooper?

My friend I was riding with enjoyed it a lot more than I did, and if the speed was turned down just slightly, or maybe a longer brief slow point between scenes would have helped. At one point after turning I was really feeling not right but it then did a regular straight section for a bit, so I recovered.

I rode Mission:Breakout at DCA and much prefer that honestly.

Disney got what they wanted, a huge indoor thrill ride at EPCOT, but I wonder what they could have done with just the UoE building or using a smaller building behind it.

EDIT: In case it matters, we were in the last car, row 9...apparently that can be more intense than the front.
I echo nearly everything you said (and I echoed you in another thread already). I’m in my early 40s, sat in the second to last car, and, like you, felt disoriented, but not nauseous on the ride. But it was uncomfortable enough that I don’t know that I ever need to go again.

It needed starts and stops to really make the story work. I just didn’t understand the story AT ALL once on the coaster itself. The story is lost. This could’ve been something if they didn’t push into “pure coaster” realm and did coaster, show scene, coaster, show scene.

Overall, I’m obviously disappointed that it’s a ride in EPCOT, like Mission:Space spinny side that I’ll never ride again.

(And I’m someone that can still do RNRC although I’m starting to sunset my time on that one, too, but I’m still good with it at the moment. Wish it was as smooth as this because the smoothness of this is impressive.)

bhg469

It needed starts and stops to really make the story work. I just didn’t understand the story AT ALL once on the coaster itself. The story is lost. This could’ve been something if they didn’t push into “pure coaster” realm and did coaster, show scene, coaster, show scene.
This is why I think I don't like it. Every time I have ridden it, I lose a little love for it. I just re-rode the mummy in universal and I love that one. It's a little more intense but the stops and show scenes are way more fun.

Hagrids is even better than the mummy too.

Disstevefan1

It looks like Disney attempted to create an attraction that everyone could ride but also had some thrills like a coaster.

It's clear it's not that.

I will say what I said when they closed Ellen; KEEP the ride system and do an overlay. That was a cool ride system, and they could use all their creative folks to put the work in to create something new AND save a lot of money.

And folks would flock to the new attraction simply because it is new, and Disney would make MONEY from each and every rider (thanks Genie+)

Incomudro

I echo nearly everything you said (and I echoed you in another thread already). I’m in my early 40s, sat in the second to last car, and, like you, felt disoriented, but not nauseous on the ride. But it was uncomfortable enough that I don’t know that I ever need to go again.

Overall, I’m obviously disappointed that it’s a ride in EPCOT, like Mission:Space spinny side that I’ll never ride again.

(And I’m someone that can still do RNRC although I’m starting to sunset my time on that one, too, but I’m still good with it at the moment. Wish it was as smooth as this because the smoothness of this is impressive.)
I haven't ridden GotG but I like the idea precisely because it doesn't go coaster - show scene - coaster.
It's purpose isn't story, it's purpose is fun.

Incomudro

So now the “storytelling coaster” isn’t about story?
Not to me it isn't, and never was.
I never really saw a story in Pirates - some say it's there.
Nor, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, certainly not Space Mountain.
Rock n Roller Coaster is probably its closest parallel.
Yeah, RnR sets up a story, but the story is extremely basic and doesn't matter to anyone I've ever heard from.
It's more of a premise.
This insistence that there must be story in every ride is something that I don't adhere to.
Sure, it's there in some slightly there in others, and not there at all in others still.
Some rides are just meant to be fun.
This is a fun coaster with a light story, using a combination of ride system, visuals and music.
It's not meant to be analyzed, just enjoyed.
It's a visually and musically augmented indoor coaster - enjoy it without thinking about it too much.

Epcot82Guy

I think you're highlighting my exact issue with this. It should have been a simple story that sets up a premise that fits within Epcot and Epcot's story. Instead they wanted a story coaster. So, we get a very convoluted story that is both overworked and misplaced. Storytelling, placemaking and premise setting is where Disney is having the greatest failures these days.

To your point, a simple, fun coaster that fits well into is setting would have still given most lovers of the ride what they wanted and likely brought a chunk of those who dislike it on board.

Mickeynerd17

Not to me it isn't, and never was.
I never really saw a story in Pirates - some say it's there.
Nor, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, certainly not Space Mountain.
Rock n Roller Coaster is probably its closest parallel.
Yeah, RnR sets up a story, but the story is extremely basic and doesn't matter to anyone I've ever heard from.
It's more of a premise.
This insistence that there must be story in every ride is something that I don't adhere to.
Sure, it's there in some slightly there in others, and not there at all in others still.
Some rides are just meant to be fun.
This is a fun coaster with a light story, using a combination of ride system, visuals and music.
It's not meant to be analyzed, just enjoyed.
It's a visually and musically augmented indoor coaster - enjoy it without thinking about it too much.

I think you're highlighting my exact issue with this. It should have been a simple story that sets up a premise that fits within Epcot and Epcot's story. Instead they wanted a story coaster. So, we get a very convoluted story that is both overworked and misplaced. Storytelling, placemaking and premise setting is where Disney is having the greatest failures these days.

To your point, a simple, fun coaster that fits well into is setting would have still given most lovers of the ride what they wanted and likely brought a chunk of those who dislike it on board.
With the videos I've seen of Cosmic Rewind....

The multiple preshows seemingly set up an excellent, well-detailed story akin to how Energy set up its story, except once you get to the ride, it becomes just a fun coaster. It's almost like the preshows overhype the experience you actually receive, from what I've observed.

Much different from RnRC where although you see a preshow, the actual premise/story is much simpler and doesn't overhype the actual ride experience. You get exactly what you are expecting, which is a speedy drive to an Aerosmith concert.

James Alucobond

With the videos I've seen of Cosmic Rewind....

The multiple preshows seemingly set up an excellent, well-detailed story akin to how Energy set up its story, except once you get to the ride, it becomes just a fun coaster. It's almost like the preshows overhype the experience you actually receive, from what I've observed.

Much different from RnRC where although you see a preshow, the actual premise/story is much simpler and doesn't overhype the actual ride experience. You get exactly what you are expecting, which is a speedy drive to an Aerosmith concert.
I think it’s fine to have an elaborate pre-show, but the story should be effectively complete by the time the backward launch occurs. It’s obviously too chaotic to even hear what’s being said.

I really wish Eson weren’t part of it, and that you were simply tasked with either observing the big bang or retrieving something from the formative years of the universe, perhaps using research the Xandarians are doing on the Time Stone as a premise.

Honestly, if they were dead-set on using Marvel, a good idea for a more cohesive Future World East transformation might have been to have each of the pavilions showcasing new tech based on Infinity Stone research. Each could be presented by an in-universe group (Xandarians, sorcerers, agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., etc.), and each could explore some scientific concept through a science fiction lens. So, like:

Time Stone - Time travel
Mind Stone - Artificial intelligence
Space Stone - Faster-than-light travel
Power Stone - Self-sustaining power generation
Reality Stone - Multiverse

Epcot82Guy

I think Disney has painted itself in its own box. I would argue 90% of people riding the ride are there for the music and to see the main Guardians. They don't care about the stones. They don't care about Eson. Most don't even know about them. Let alone in a park where it makes no sense to blur in the fantasy MCU elements.

The attraction takes itself way, way too seriously from a story standpoint. I can come up with 5 stories off the top of my head that would have been just as effective and not felt so shoehorned. But, there is this desire to self aggrandize the MCU and backstories of these series now in a way that even Coco Chanel couldn't edit back successfully. Let alone at the expense of the actual backstory of the parks themselves.

James Alucobond

I think Disney has painted itself in its own box. I would argue 90% of people riding the ride are there for the music and to see the main Guardians. They don't care about the stones. They don't care about Eson. Most don't even know about them. Let alone in a park where it makes no sense to blur in the fantasy MCU elements.

The attraction takes itself way, way too seriously from a story standpoint. I can come up with 5 stories off the top of my head that would have been just as effective and not felt so shoehorned. But, there is this desire to self aggrandize the MCU and backstories of these series now in a way that even Coco Chanel couldn't edit back successfully. Let alone at the expense of the actual backstory of the parks themselves.
I don’t think it matters who the presenters are as long as they make an effort to have the story be self-contained. It’s not like you had to go into the parks with pre-existing knowledge of Buzzy or the Kitchen Kabaret or the Dreamfinder, and there was always an element of fiction or fantasy woven in. It wouldn’t have to be terribly different if that fantasy fiber happened to be MCU-related.

But like you said, I think part of the problem with Marvel attractions is the same problem I have with the MCU at large, which is that it feels like there’s an expectation you have some awareness of everything that’s happened across every film and television show. You can’t even watch a direct sequel in the MCU without needing context from something that happened chronologically between those two entries.

Epcot82Guy

I don’t think it matters who the presenters are as long as they make an effort to have the story be self-contained. It’s not like you had to go into the parks with pre-existing knowledge of Buzzy or the Kitchen Kabaret or the Dreamfinder, and there was always an element of fiction or fantasy woven in. It wouldn’t have to be terribly different if that fantasy fiber happened to be MCU-related.

But like you said, I think part of the problem with Marvel attractions is the same problem I have with the MCU at large, which is that it feels like there’s an expectation you have some awareness of everything that’s happened across every film and television show. You can’t even watch a direct sequel in the MCU without needing context from something that happened chronologically between those two entries.

Yes. And, a lot of other background. The story should be self contained AND fit in the overall context. Both story views should make sense in their own context. This one is shoehorned on both the Epcot and MCU sides.

Incomudro

Then just ride it, and have fun with it.

Epcot82Guy

Then just ride it, and have fun with it.

This is where you and I disagree. At a Disney Park, the story and fit and immersion is why I go. If I'm just going to Disney for "fun" of the actual ride itself, there are many other places with attractions that are far more fun. The story issues greatly detract from the fun, and I personally don't and can't go to Disney to ignore the story. That 100% defeats the purpose for me.

(And, yes, I am one who has stopped going - even with moving to Orlando in recent years - before that argument comes up.)

Incomudro

This is where you and I disagree. At a Disney Park, the story and fit and immersion is why I go. If I'm just going to Disney for "fun" of the actual ride itself, there are many other places with attractions that are far more fun. The story issues greatly detract from the fun, and I personally don't and can't go to Disney to ignore the story. That 100% defeats the purpose for me.

(And, yes, I am one who has stopped going - even with moving to Orlando in recent years - before that argument comes up.)
Where's the story in Tron?
Aerosmith?
Big Thunder?
Jungle Cruise?
Space Mountain?
PotC?
Everything doesn't have to be deep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom