Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

Amidala

Given the length of the track and the time it takes to traverse it, the average speed of the vehicle is 25 mph.

Oh wow, 25mph? Then I'm guessing the Wikipedia claim that the average speed is 60mph is way off.
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.22.08 PM.png
If that's the case, I think I would probably be fine, since EE and Mummy are mild to moderate intensity for me. Your logic regarding the launch also makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input, this definitely helps!

bhg469

Oh wow, 25mph? Then I'm guessing the Wikipedia claim that the average speed is 60mph is way off.
View attachment 652940
If that's the case, I think I would probably be fine, since EE and Mummy are mild to moderate intensity for me. Your logic regarding the launch also makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input, this definitely helps!
Oh wow!!! There isn't one spot where it feels like it even approaches 60, launch included. If you can handle mummy, you can sleep through this.

Amidala

Adding onto this, does Disney typically release the exact speed of their rollercoasters or are all the numbers floating around the internet based on assumption or rough calculations? Clearly the Cosmic Rewind specs haven't been released yet since there's a lot of guesswork going on about the speed. Interesting to see, and definitely seems to come down to individual perceptions.

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.26.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.27.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 12.28.04 PM.png

mysto

They are probably using a gps locator app on their phone to estimate the speed. Those things work great if you're traveling in a straight line like in a car, but on a loopy track they will fail and give random estimates. A military grade gps has the resolution to get a good estimate, but serious $$$$. Or if you point a traffic radar gun at the oncoming cars from the side of the track the reading will be very precise, but no one has access but Disney.

I think the length of track vs ride time is at least an accurate average, but includes some very slow parts. The other methods aren't available to us yet, not even via the all powerful internet.

mergatroid

Seems to have gone quiet on the motion sickness front in as much as there's not as much complaining about it online anymore. I'm aware the top of the trash cans at the exit have been changed so they don't slope as much though it would appear that there have been no changes to the ride as such since opening?

While concerns over motion sickness persist, Disney has not made noticeable adjustments to the ride profile, which still remains identical to what we experienced during previews and through opening day. The ride system is unique and might not be for everyone. That said, we do think that Disney could do a better job demonstrating the controlled spinning nature of the ride via a pre-ride video that gives guests a better idea of what they can expect during the ride.
Looks like it's not that bad that Disney have had to do that much about it, or they've just chose not to bother.

SplashJacket

Seems to have gone quiet on the motion sickness front in as much as there's not as much complaining about it online anymore. I'm aware the top of the trash cans at the exit have been changed so they don't slope as much though it would appear that there have been no changes to the ride as such since opening?

Looks like it's not that bad that Disney have had to do that much about it, or they've just chose not to bother.
I can definitely see how people can get motion sick on Guardians, but honestly, regardless if you get motion sickness on rides like Everest or Pooh, you should ride it at least once. It's an absolutely amazing experience. In contrast, while I am the rides #1 biggest fan, Mission Space isn't necessarily worth getting sick over.

That being said, Mission Space is interesting because if I had to bet, the overwhelming majority of people who get sick either close their eyes or turn their head to the side.

Guardians is interesting because while closing your eyes likely wouldn't help, your head is forcibly turned to the side. Obviously, Mission Space is way more intense, but I'd honestly guess a lot of the motion sickness is caused by user error, but I'm not sure if you can do anything on Guardians to minimize motion sickness (outside of taking Dramamine or some other medication).

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

We almost certainly haven’t heard more about motion sickness because the issue was reported on, exists, and there are no new developments. It is absurd to expect a constant string of “ride still causes nausea” articles, day in, day out, ad nauseum. We aren’t seeing a lot of first-hand reports about illness for a couple reasons - first, the ride is open and has been for a while, so we aren’t seeing a lot of first-hand reports at all, and secondly because many people prone to any kind of motion sickness have gotten the message and are avoiding the ride.

Honestly, this is very silly. We all know and agree Mission: Space makes a lot of people sick, but we don’t get constant news stories or first-hand reports on that subject.

mergatroid

I can definitely see how people can get motion sick on Guardians, but honestly, regardless if you get motion sickness on rides like Everest or Pooh, you should ride it. It's an absolutely amazing experience. In contrast, while I am the rides #1 biggest fan, Mission Space isn't necessarily worth getting sick over.

That being said, Mission Space is interesting because if I had to bet, the overwhelming majority of people who get sick either close their eyes or turn their head to the side.

Guardians is interesting because while closing your eyes likely wouldn't help, your head is forcibly turned to the side. Obviously, Mission Space is way more intense, but I'd honestly guess a lot of the motion sickness is caused by user error, but I'm not sure if you can do anything on Guardians to minimize motion sickness (outside of taking Dramamine or some other medication).
I know some guests can get motion sickness and that obviously won't change. However it was mooted on here several times by several different posters that the attraction would possibly have to be modified if the sickness problem persisted. That's why I quoted the report that says the ride hasn't been modified as this was of keen interest to many discussing the pros and cons of Cosmic Rewind.

One moment people want to talk about motion sickness on here and what will have to change to rectify it, then when it's mentioned that it appears the problem hasn't resulted in those changes some people get offended that the subject's brought up? Still early days relatively speaking and who knows what the future holds. Perhaps there's plans by Disney to change it in the future or if there's too many protein spills per day and they've not reached that point yet? Perhaps Disney's decided that they just don't care or after consideration there's not enough incidents to warrant a reworking? Another option could of course be that the design of the attraction prohibits any changes at all? But it's definitely gone quiet on the changing how the attraction works part which was something discussed on here repeatedly.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Stories of ride profiles being changed post-opening are often just rumor or greatly exaggerated. Even when it is done, it’s not something that is done quickly, especially when you have to sync to show scenes and systems.

mergatroid

Stories of ride profiles being changed post-opening are often just rumor or greatly exaggerated. Even when it is done, it’s not something that is done quickly, especially when you have to sync to show scenes and systems.
I agree. The ride has obviously caused issues and will continue to do so operating as it is. It's to what level Disney will think it a problem that will dictate whether they adjust it or not. I'm in the camp of leave it as it is and have it the same as many other 'thrill attractions' are whereby you warn guests of potential motion sickness problems and let them decide.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I agree. The ride has obviously caused issues and will continue to do so operating as it is. It's to what level Disney will think it a problem that will dictate whether they adjust it or not. I'm in the camp of leave it as it is and have it the same as many other 'thrill attractions' are whereby you warn guests of potential motion sickness problems and let them decide.
The lack of adjustment is not a reflection of the extent of the issue. That’s not a conclusion you can draw, particularly when the required changes impact rather core features of a ride experience.

Casper Gutman

The lack of adjustment is not a reflection of the extent of the issue. That’s not a conclusion you can draw, particularly when the required changes impact rather core features of a ride experience.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it took almost three years for WDW to address the glaring issues with M: S by introducing the Green mission… that seems relevant.

lazyboy97o

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it took almost three years for WDW to address the glaring issues with M: S by introducing the Green mission… that seems relevant.
Yes, it was about three years later and also an attraction that could be changed in such a way. That’s a very extreme change and something similar at Cosmic Rewind would be to remove car rotation and redo or turn off projects so that there are no conflicts between visuals and movement. That’s a cut to rather core components of the ride experience. I guess since it’s also digitally controlled it would technically be possible to similarly offer two different intensities at Cosmic Rewind.

DisneyCane

Wife and I rode for the first time yesterday. We both experienced what I'd say is medium motion sickness. Not to the level of the brink of vomiting but we were both wobbly getting off and didn't feel normal for a while. Rode test track single rider within 1/2 hour of getting off and felt woozy again during the curvy part (neither of us has ever felt anything bad on TT before). Far worse than any other ride at WDW including MS Orange.

The ride was fun and had some unique (at least to us) sensations and the sound quality was great. It was incredibly smooth and I hope it stays that way. I will only ride in the future after dosing with motion sickness medicine though. The ride is definitely not for everyone. Kids will have no problem and love it. Many parents may want to wait and grab a drink somewhere while the kids ride.

mergatroid

Again I agree, however people were saying how easy it would be to change the ride and turn the twisting motion off if they wanted to. I've never backed that up. I've also said it's very early days also and anything could happen. An interesting point that's relevant would be how Disney records 'motion sickness incidents'? I'd hazard a guess it's the number of people actually vomiting? The vast majority on here who have said they've felt queasy or understood how others would feel bad, but not many have said they've actually heaved themselves. So numbers wise I wonder if a CM records anything if a guests says "I feel a bit funny"? It's doubtful so I suppose it's a judgement call but again I hope they leave it as it is.

DisneyCane

I'm actually surprised there aren't a decent number of falls on the exit stairs. That should have been designed as a ramp. I definitely had to concentrate to walk up those stairs because I was wobbly. It was like drinking a little too much and climbing a staircase.

correcaminos

I'm actually surprised there aren't a decent number of falls on the exit stairs. That should have been designed as a ramp. I definitely had to concentrate to walk up those stairs because I was wobbly. It was like drinking a little too much and climbing a staircase.
That would be one heck of a ramp. I'd rather the stairs

correcaminos

The ramp would either have switch backs or be spiral design. I'm not saying a ramp is needed, only it wouldn’t be a straight one.
Exactly my point. That would be a hard ramp to implement given the angle it goes up and the available size. Was thinking how expansive Space Mt is (though different I know but it's long). There are elevators if needed too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom