Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

bhg469

When you rode it did you get the impression that loads of people were judging it based on it's price, or just enjoying a really good attraction? ;)
I got boarding group 16 for this morning.. Hopefully I will have time to stop strangers in the queue to discuss just that. We're giving it another go with my in laws today as they have not ridden it.

I guess it makes sense to take advantage of the virtual queue while it's still there. Probably will until tron!

mergatroid

I got boarding group 16 for this morning.. Hopefully I will have time to stop strangers in the queue to discuss just that. We're giving it another go with my in laws today as they have not ridden it.

I guess it makes sense to take advantage of the virtual queue while it's still there. Probably will until tron!
Make sure you ask them whether they'd enjoy just as much if it was outside rather than inside with music playing, that idea was mooted? :D

Last edited:

bhg469

I felt like they were enjoying a really good attraction. Every time I’ve been on it, everybody has been cheering once they got to unload.
Rode it today and yesterday, I definitely didn't hear any cheering but I also never heard anyone cheering at soaring and flight of passage either and that supposedly happened all the time.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Cosmic Rewind is a phenomenally designed and paced coaster by itself. If it was outside, it would still be arguably one of the best non-looping coasters in the world, but there isn't a coaster (including TRON) where projections and scale add so much.

The music is also fantastic, but that doesn't sell this ride; it's the way you're flying around space in such a satisfying fashion. I've been to every Disney Park in the world, and this is easily one of the greatest attractions built. It's also very, very long, which is much appreciated.

It shouldn't be understated. This is up there with Hagrid's, VelociCoaster, Rise, Shanghai Pirates, and FoP for most technically flooring attractions.

I'd put Ratatouille as the second-best ride in the park after Guardians, so for me at least, EPCOT's redo has been a massive success. Obviously, it's different than what it was originally, but it hasn't been that way since the 90s.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

When you rode it did you get the impression that loads of people were judging it based on it's price, or just enjoying a really good attraction? ;)
You are apparently trying to argue a point nobody is making. It is possible to hold two thoughts in one's head at once:

1) The ride makes you go "wheeeeee" and is fun

2) The ride is thematically wrong for Epcot, its price is far beyond its value, and its complete disregard for the design and sitelines of the park is an embarrassment

Continuing to post evidence of the former has no relation to the latter.

Epcot82Guy

You are apparently trying to argue a point nobody is making. It is possible to hold two thoughts in one's head at once:

2) The ride is thematically wrong for Epcot, its price is far beyond its value, and its complete disregard for the design and sitelines of the park is an embarrassment

Amen!

mergatroid

You're entitled to that opinion, no problem. However there have been several people who have only mainly posted negative things about this attraction. Your response that "the ride makes you go "wheeeee" and is fun" followed by three negatives makes me think you're not a big fan of it? That's fine but the mistake you're making is assuming you know everything I think about this ride and that I might not have more than one thought in my head about it. I'm a far more positive person than negative, that's just the way I am. I've already admitted that this attraction probably is in the wrong park, however as it's there now me complaining about it doesn't do anything to rectify that. So there you go, two thoughts in my head at once which I've spoken about earlier several times.

$400 million seems a lot of money, however I'm not a ride developer or manufacturer and as such have no idea about attraction costs. It's true that one can perhaps get quotes on previous attraction costs and then in one's mind estimate what you think an attraction like this should or shouldn't cost, I get that. Again however, without knowing the breakdown of the costs or what caused them to be high, it's an educated guess. People are more than entitled to talk about that (I've never said they're not contrary to some untruths posted about that), however others are entitled to post about their views on the costs that may differ in opinion, or ignore the costs if they so desire.

Another poster was heavily criticised for saying that 99% of the guests won't know or care about the costs, something I think is perfectly true and agree with. I understand the argument that perhaps more money spent on one thing may detract from spending on other things, however I'm guessing it's not as simple as saying let's not build Guardians and here's the $400 million we would spent to use on upgrading other attractions instead. I'm guessing some of that money would, could or should have been used for something else, but we'll never know for sure and are back to speculating albeit educated speculation. Again more than one thought in my head at once about this ride.

The way several people have posted their belief that 'it's fun', followed by huge posts about numerous negative opinions they have repeatedly makes me think that they're perhaps being too critical on this attraction and looking for faults in it? Perhaps they're not but that's the way it comes across. If saying one sentence about it being a solid addition followed by 30 sentences about everything they think is wrong with it is how some people feel about it then fair enough, some of us however have differing views and want to express them. I probably do the opposite and concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives. It's called trying to add balance among the frequent negativity and whilst I'm honest in my posts, I get some might see me as backing Disney too much. Some have catchy little names for those in either side of the debate, that's a bit of fun that I lose no sleep over. However for all the jokes about "It's just a coaster in a box" which caught on quickly by those not rating this attraction, it's odd how some don't like jokey comments against those so much when aimed towards the more negative. It's just about opinions really but as much as there's those on here deemed 'too positive' about this attraction (myself included there), in my humble opinion there's some who are far too negative. That's not everyone who posts a negative opinion, just some individuals. They're entitled to do just that as are those who want to express their positivity are entitled to do that. Nobody on either side is shutting anybody down despite numerous claims to the contrary made by more than one.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Perhaps we should just acknowledge that a really fun, long coaster with great music but (as even many of its champions agree) with an unclear storyline and lackluster, surface-level theming that doesn’t represent the relevant IP very well is going to be divisive. It seems perfectly designed to widen fault lines between different groups of WDW fans who have different understandings and expectations for what a Disney attraction should be - one emphasizing fun and thrills, one emphasizing intricate theming and coherent narrative. And both views are valid.

It should also be remembered that even the best ride can be the subject of valid critical evaluation. A ride can both be a great addition to a park AND massively overpriced in a way that reflects deeper problems with the resort.

SplashJacket

Your right.. it's hyperspace mountain with spinny cars.
3,281 feet of track vs 5,577 feet seem wildly different. Not to mention one has launches, backwards segments, and sideways segments.

Calling the vehicles “spinny cars” is almost insulting to what’s actually going on. Crush’s coaster has spinny cars. Guardians is so much more than that.

As far as I know, there’s never been an exclusively backwards launch in a monodirectional ride that doesn’t require a track switch.

I would agree that Guardians kinda feels like if Space Mountain was built today, but it’s so much more than the current Space iteration.

We have to remember that this really isn’t a bad thing. Space Mountain was an incredibly innovative attraction when it first opened. It truly paved the way for indoor coasters, and unlike many other coasters of the same era, still stands the test of time.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Are you absolutely certain it is your favorite theme park ride? Not trying to be condescending, but your first few rides on any new ride are going to be more enjoyable to you than your 100th on, say, Big Thunder Mountain. This happens with every new major E-ticket where people quickly claim it as their new top ride before it has time to settle in.
35 rides in, I can feel this. But then again I also blame myself for burning out so quickly so there's that. A large part of it is the songs as well.

bhg469

3,281 feet of track vs 5,577 feet seem wildly different. Not to mention one has launches, backwards segments, and sideways segments.

Calling the vehicles “spinny cars” is almost insulting to what’s actually going on. Crush’s coaster has spinny cars. Guardians is so much more than that.

As far as I know, there’s never been an exclusively backwards launch in a monodirectional ride that doesn’t require a track switch.

I would agree that Guardians kinda feels like if Space Mountain was built today, but it’s so much more than the current Space iteration.

We have to remember that this really isn’t a bad thing. Space Mountain was an incredibly innovative attraction when it first opened. It truly paved the way for indoor coasters, and unlike many other coasters of the same era, still stands the test of time.
There is no backward launch, the cars are turned to the reverse direction and it is launched in the same direction the ride moves the entire way. IMO that is not technically backwards.

"Sideways segments" also the cars are turned sideways.. not some magical track technology..

Listen when I called it hyperspace mountain, it wasn't an insult. That was my favorite ride at Disneyland. And yes spinning cars is an oversimplification of what they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom