News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

RichVIII

There's an immediate return on DVC that shows up in the Parks and Resorts segment of the balance sheet. They've setup a system of 50 year leases that needs a new pool of rooms every few years to maintain a certain income stream. It's almost a necessity from a business perspective to continue to build DVC.
And DVC often locks in return guests for years to come. If you talk with a lot of DVC owners (myself included, you go far more often. We tend to drop less money since we often return so often and we aren't the "dream vacation we saved for years" crowd that Dis really loves but we keep coming, spending more on new experiences since we aren't spending it on lodging. And DVC is designed to run at nearly 100% capacity. You can't enter WDW without spending some money and locking in owners is a smart business.

SplashJacket

447035EC-575A-40C6-944F-024298D0F6CF.jpeg
DE7B1511-2020-4837-B572-4CBE84EC6AA6.jpeg
2809BAA1-ACA2-4A23-88A6-8B5801E8714E.jpeg
89AE840E-5BF5-49E7-8411-DA3FD938FBD5.jpeg

Beacon Joe

I dont understand the recent fascination with a driveway overhead cover being called a foreign language phrase. It literally translates to carriage porch. Next thing we'll see new signs for Le ****oir and Le petit pot. If it's foreign it must be an upcharge.

I like where you're going with this. As an old grump myself, don't get me started on marketing departments' use of language.

Take, for example, the rather sudden and rapid adoption now universal around America of the word charcuterie. 9/10 times it's a bloody cheese board or cheese plate and not what actually would be referred to with that word in, you know, someplace like France, ya marketing goons. My university's late night snack bar had a killer cheese plate - cheeses, grapes, slices of salami and pepperoni. I bet they call it charcuterie nowadays.

What really set me off was when I was dining at an otherwise solid Spanish restaurant and they had a section named Charcuterie on their @#$% menu. Oh, you mean Tapas because it was tapas that were actually listed in this section? Seriously, due to braindead consoomer yuppies, companies now have to refer to tapas as charcuterie otherwise it won't be hip enough or their patrons will be totally lost? Same thing at a local mom and pop Italian restaurant. Really, a Charcuterie section instead of a Salumi section on an otherwise southern Italian menu? Really, if I were in my favorite little salumeria outside of Potenza and asked for charcuturie, they'd point to their temples and call me pazzo e ignorante.

I wonder if the omas running gasthäuser realize they can now charge more to American consoomers because their typical breakfast spread of cured meats and cheeses can now be called charcuterie and thus command a premium.

Anyway back to the porte-cochère, I chuckle when Disney refers to their entrances as such because as far as I know none of them are by strict definition considered porte-cochères.

dreday3

You know what is hilarious/a big slap in the face for Disney??

...Universal just opened up a Wantilan Luau dinner show at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort

I thought they've always had a Luau dinner show there? Pretty sure they did before Covid.

I personally don't think the Luau show is a big loss. I've honestly only read mediocre reviews of it throughout the years.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I thought they've always had a Luau dinner show there? Pretty sure they did before Covid.

I personally don't think the Luau show is a big loss. I've honestly only read mediocre reviews of it throughout the years.
Should have said reopened

castlecake2.0

Why do you think they cancelled the Reflections DVC resort but then decided to build the Polyday Inn tower?
From what I gather, both were supposed to happen but in a different order. It’s easier to build at the poly as it can use pre existing infrastructure and back of house facilities compared to a brand new build at the reflections site. I also believe reflections wasn’t going to be 100% DVC, but a blend. In another thread (or maybe this one, I can’t remember) it was mentioned there’s two new hotels coming that are pretty much green lit but waiting on a time frame.

Phicinfan

Why do you think they cancelled the Reflections DVC resort but then decided to build the Polyday Inn tower?
Just supposition on my part.....
But they want to continue the path they did with Rivera and Destino towers. A tower DVC at each major resort.
I will also add, that the Reflections was going to be a bit out of the way, and hard to get to by land, so it was not worth the expense when they can expand directly on the lake by MK

dreday3

Just supposition on my part.....
But they want to continue the path they did with Rivera and Destino towers. A tower DVC at each major resort.
I will also add, that the Reflections was going to be a bit out of the way, and hard to get to by land, so it was not worth the expense when they can expand directly on the lake by MK

Gran Destino isn't DVC. But it's very, very nice.

correcaminos

From what I gather, both were supposed to happen but in a different order. It’s easier to build at the poly as it can use pre existing infrastructure and back of house facilities compared to a brand new build at the reflections site. I also believe reflections wasn’t going to be 100% DVC, but a blend. In another thread (or maybe this one, I can’t remember) it was mentioned there’s two new hotels coming that are pretty much green lit but waiting on a time frame.
You are correct, Reflections was announced as a mixed resort. Not just DVC. I'll keep some speculating to myself, but I believe real issues came up. Pity they never reopened the walkway between WL and Ft Wilderness though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom