News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

EricsBiscuit

No, it's a horrible thing.
Agreed. The “it’s too rough to have a kid right now” excuse is such a cop out. Watch how Europe and China collapse over the next 10 years as they forgot how to have kids and the other was legally barred from reproducing at a sustainable rate. High earning middle age workers retire with no one to replace them. They go from paying lots of taxes and investing to drawing from the system very quickly. Skyrocketing dependency ratios, rising interest rates, plateaued productivity if lucky (and that’s the tip of the iceberg).

EPCOT-O.G.

Agreed. The “it’s too rough to have a kid right now” excuse is such a cop out. Watch how Europe and China collapse over the next 10 years as they forgot how to have kids and the other was legally barred from reproducing at a sustainable rate. High earning middle age workers retire with no one to replace them. They go from paying lots of taxes and investing to drawing from the system very quickly. Skyrocketing dependency ratios, rising interest rates, plateaued productivity if lucky (and that’s the tip of the iceberg).
I share many of your general concerns. I don't want to be too presumptive as to the place where the poster was coming from, so not sure if s/he's a "don't bring kids into this evil world" type, or a Malthusian, humans are destroying the planet by existing type

EricsBiscuit

I share many of your general concerns. I don't want to be too presumptive as to the place where the poster was coming from, so not sure if s/he's a "don't bring kids into this evil world" type, or a Malthusian, humans are destroying the planet by existing type
Either way, less humans is a bad thing.

EricsBiscuit

Is it really worse than more humans? I see the issue with an ageing population, but in general there surely has to be some point at which the earth's population stops growing.

Either way, hope your kids are doing well.
It is absolutely worse unless you’re a fan of mass starvation and total societal collapse. And thank you! Likewise

dreday3

This is relevant.

TL;DR - Children, families, and family formation are foundational to community-building. When cities (or planned cult communities) are childless, they result in social atomization and lifelessness.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind living in a city with no children. 😂

(yes, I realize the irony that we like to visit WDW, a place teeming with children. They are fine in small doses ;) )

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Is it really worse than more humans? I see the issue with an ageing population, but in general there surely has to be some point at which the earth's population stops growing.

Either way, hope your kids are doing well.
Not being able to attract families with kids in business and cultural epicenters of countries is a long term problem. You’re losing a huge demographic. Is that sustainable?

Ellen Ripley

It is absolutely worse unless you’re a fan of mass starvation and total societal collapse. And thank you! Likewise

Not really. The population growth economy is a Ponzi scheme.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Back on topic, I’m having a really hard time differentiating this between any other significant and upscale master planned community. Anyone else? Short on details seems to be the theme still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom