Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

drnilescrane

Except you’re supposed legal decision is one that is clearly contrary to the law. These are “higher level signs” that have their own entirely separate set of criteria. It would be like Disney lowering all of the grab bar is the restrooms because there is a separate criteria for kids and ignoring the primary one for the general public.

If anything, it seems more like the law was written to protect the use of purple since one entity was really using that color in such a manner.
I don't think they got rid of purple because they were worried about people confusing the road with a Electronic Toll Road.

I think they got rid of Univers/switched to Highway Gothic, center aligned the text, changed the instruction to all caps, rounded the corners and changed the position of the guide arrows because Florida decided to more specifically enumerate the standards. All the 1989 signs were much closer to California standards anyway - such as the California style shield for 192 (albeit in Futura).

They made the signs blue because they've decided to paint everything blue anyway.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Those signs are much more dynamic then the new Disney crop. The contrast is between blue and red rather then blue and slightly different blue and the unconventional shape of both the signs and the support marks it as a place outside of the ordinary. Without seeing it in person I can't be sure, but the shade of blue at Uni also seems more visually pleasing. It's not a comparison that benefits WDW.
I guess this comes down to personal taste, but I personally find the new Disney ones more visually appealing than the Universal signs. The Universal ones are more distinct, but I feel Disney's new signs strike a nicer balance between being distinct yet subtle. This is perhaps a weird thing to say about what are essentially highway signs, but I think Disney's look a little more tasteful. At any rate, I have a feeling this very subjective!

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 8.01.35 pm.png

Magic-Kingdom_Full_46156.jpg

ImperfectPixie

I guess this comes down to personal taste, but I personally find the new Disney ones more visually appealing than the Universal signs. The Universal ones are more distinct, but I feel Disney's new signs strike a nicer balance between being distinct yet subtle. This is perhaps a weird thing to say about what are essentially highway signs, but I think Disney's look a little more tasteful. At any rate, I have a feeling this very subjective!

View attachment 623289

Magic-Kingdom_Full_46156.jpg
The thing about rectangles with round corners that I dislike is that it makes them look like off-the-shelf aluminum with paint/vinyl and a circle of aluminum slapped on. At least the circle-shaped signs look custom.

Sir_Cliff

The thing about rectangles with round corners that I dislike is that it makes them look like off-the-shelf aluminum with paint/vinyl and a circle of aluminum slapped on. At least the circle-shaped signs look custom.
If you mean that they look more like regular street signs, then I do agree. I will say, though, that you can even see from those two images that the scale of the road system at WDW is a lot greater than that of Universal, which are a little more like normal surface streets. I do wonder whether than plays into how whimsical Disney can get with the shapes and sizes of these signs.

ImperfectPixie

If you mean that they look more like regular street signs, then I do agree. I will say, though, that you can even see from those two images that the scale of the road system at WDW is a lot greater than that of Universal, which are a little more like normal surface streets. I do wonder whether than plays into how whimsical Disney can get with the shapes and sizes of these signs.
Most sign shops stock multiple sizes and thicknesses of round-cornered aluminum (I've got a few small ones myself). Eliminating the more unique colors, IMO, was a bad choice, too. I realize they're on a "blue" kick, but the two-tone blue combined with the "off-the-shelf"-looking aluminum translates more like state signage on a big road like that.

Casper Gutman

I don't think they got rid of purple because they were worried about people confusing the road with a Electronic Toll Road.

I think they got rid of Univers/switched to Highway Gothic, center aligned the text, changed the instruction to all caps, rounded the corners and changed the position of the guide arrows because Florida decided to more specifically enumerate the standards. All the 1989 signs were much closer to California standards anyway - such as the California style shield for 192 (albeit in Futura).

They made the signs blue because they've decided to paint everything blue anyway.
Florida is not going to do anything to Disney, especially not in relation to slight differences in road signs, and Disney knows it. The state is willing to carve huge exemptions out of high profile laws to keep Disney happy. This has as much to do with legal issues as Horizons destruction had to do with sinkholes.

Sir_Cliff

Most sign shops stock multiple sizes and thicknesses of round-cornered aluminum (I've got a few small ones myself). Eliminating the more unique colors, IMO, was a bad choice, too. I realize they're on a "blue" kick, but the two-tone blue combined with the "off-the-shelf"-looking aluminum translates more like state signage on a big road like that.
To be completely honest, I personally wouldn't have much of a sense of what is an off-the-shelf aluminium sign or what sign shops stock, so that doesn't really register with me when looking at these signs. In terms of the colors, I can see the argument that they could have gone with something more striking even if I kind of like the blue and yellow. I will say, though, that I think it was time to retire the early-1990s color scheme. Sometimes a refresh rather than allowing things to grow stale is positive.

ImperfectPixie

To be completely honest, I personally wouldn't have much of a sense of what is an off-the-shelf aluminium sign or what sign shops stock, so that doesn't really register with me when looking at these signs. In terms of the colors, I can see the argument that they could have gone with something more striking even if I kind of like the blue and yellow. I will say, though, that I think it was time to retire the early-1990s color scheme. Sometimes a refresh rather than allowing things to grow stale is positive.
No disagreement there.

drnilescrane

Florida is not going to do anything to Disney, especially not in relation to slight differences in road signs, and Disney knows it. The state is willing to carve huge exemptions out of high profile laws to keep Disney happy. This has as much to do with legal issues as Horizons destruction had to do with sinkholes.
Yeah, and Disney uses that political capital appropriately. They got a carve out from that social media law after all.

I'm just saying, on the ground, when it comes to safety regulation Disney will absolutely turn themselves upside down unnecessarily - such as replacing an entire highway network of signage - if they perceive that they are opening themselves up to liability by maintaining the status quo.

It could even be the opposite. They decided they wanted to go blue, took another look at the regulation, and realized that the signs were way out of compliance. They changed way more than just the color scheme.

Tomi-Rocket

DULL, DULL, DULL!! 👎🏻 They could have at the very least gone with the lovely colors of the 50th redesign. But so many changes are in this dull scheme…room refurbs? SNORE. 😴 Those of us that love sweet and clever Disney touches will have to wait for a regime that loves that too. I predict I’ll die 😵 before then though. ☹️

jasminethecat

My $0.02 is that based on the photos above from Sir_Cliff, the Disney signs are much more readable on major roads and exit ramps than the ones pictured from universal. Cute signs are only great in front of a single hotel driveway that you might drive by accidentally but putting lots of info on a cute sign is dangerous IMO. Any high contrasting color scheme will do, keeping in mind that some people are color blind or have limited vision, so contrast and readability are more important than "fashionable" colors when driving. I don't think Disney theming really needs to include signage if that theming might even cause one extra auto accident in the happiest place on earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom