Figment bucket craze, if this doesn’t tell them something I don’t know what will

JIMINYCR

I wish it would tell Disney to open up merchandise to those of us who can’t be at the parks. We would like to have the opportunity to buy from them and not get scalped online. It tells Disney that people will line up for hours and buy out their merchandise for a tidy profit. But sadly the connection between a popcorn bucket selling out and sinking lots of money into an attraction doesn’t compute. There’s no connection there to the expenditure of money and return of profit on an attraction.

Goofyernmost

It actually increases the demand for Figment because Imagination is dead and probably soon to be completely eliminated. Value comes from scarcity and no likelihood of a full open market of those items especially after Imagination Pavilion is no more.

waltography

Genuine question to anyone who has a temperature check on public opinion: do people still have the same kind of fervor towards the Hatbox Ghost now that he exists in the ride or was he more popular as part of attraction history/legend? I feel like however Hatbox Ghost's reputation has been over the years would closely mirror Figment's (though I suppose Figment's a little different since he assumes the role of Epcot's mascot too).

Goofyernmost

Genuine question to anyone who has a temperature check on public opinion: do people still have the same kind of fervor towards the Hatbox Ghost now that he exists in the ride or was he more popular as part of attraction history/legend? I feel like however Hatbox Ghost's reputation has been over the years would closely mirror Figment's (though I suppose Figment's a little different since he assumes the role of Epcot's mascot too).
I'm not sure he still is the "Mascot" of Epcot to many people anymore. It's an entirely new generation that has never witnessed the attraction that gave him that title. He is just a secondary character on a less than spectacular ride. Those days are clung to by people that witnessed Imagination 1.0. I think he is now a nostalgia mascot that has the ability to increase in value over time.

correcaminos

I'm not sure he still is the "Mascot" of Epcot to many people anymore. It's an entirely new generation that has never witnessed the attraction that gave him that title. He is just a secondary character on a less than spectacular ride. Those days are clung to by people that witnessed Imagination 1.0. I think he is now a nostalgia mascot that has the ability to increase in value over time.
Tell that to my 14yo... the number of times we had to ride as a little one was insane!

He's at the front of the park too for a reason. He may not be huge like in the 80s but he's not dead yet.

JIMINYCR

Tell that to my 14yo... the number of times we had to ride as a little one was insane!

He's at the front of the park too for a reason. He may not be huge like in the 80s but he's not dead yet.
And there are many characters that although they may not have been featured in any recent Disney production or be the star of an attraction, they still hang in there as a beloved character. With the internet and now Disney + you cant count anyone out for good. Disney taps them in just enough to keep them relevant. Long live Figment.

Goofyernmost

"All these people signed a petition to have me fired and then spent 6 hours in line to buy a plastic purple dragon that holds popcorn. Yea my job is safe." Bob Chapek
Well, Bob... shocking thought here, but that might just be a whole different group of people doing each one. Just sayin'.

correcaminos

And there are many characters that although they may not have been featured in any recent Disney production or be the star of an attraction, they still hang in there as a beloved character. With the internet and now Disney + you cant count anyone out for good. Disney taps them in just enough to keep them relevant. Long live Figment.
Fortunately I think Figgy is not going away soon. Just look at the ridiculousness of the buckets. I see more than one parent of kids who are dying for one willing to wait or pay through the nose. Disney markets well and they know it... sure this Imagination isn't as good as the original but they realized quick what that little dragon does to people.

Lilofan

I don't think it's a love of Figment by all but a means of making a buck my many off of Disney fanatics --I mean collectors
There are a number of people out there that make a living buying, reselling on the internet to willing parties. It takes a lot of research, planning, investing to make this a lucrative career.

Tom Morrow

Sorry to be cynical, but I don't think this is any indication of Figment's popularity, it is much more just scalpers and Disney brand-oholics that made an effort to get this thing. I mean, Disney never stopped selling Figment plushies, for instance. These people mostly got the bucket because it's a new thing Disney introduced as "limited" much more than because they actually love Figment, though I'm sure some of them do. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority never even rode the original attraction though.

The whole situation is bad, in my opinion, because it tells Chapek & Co. a few things:

1. We don't actually have to adhere to our legacy as long as we occasionally throw the "purists" a bone in the form of a merchandise item.
2. People will make a big deal out of buying "limited" merchandise, therefore people like having IP marketed to them constantly while at WDW.
3. See? We were right. People love characters so much that they'll wait 6 hours for a plastic one. Bring in even more characters! Anywhere you can!
4. We coouuld just limit these to one per person/party and/or also sell them online to avoid creating a scalper frenzy, buuuuut the buzz this creates really helps us, sooo... let's keep doing it.

The Disney brand-aholics and lifestylers keep proving them right, unfortunately. Personally, I think if you're a Disney Parks purist and a Chapek hater you should definitely not buy the Figment Popcorn Bucket even if you really love Figment.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Sorry to be cynical, but I don't think this is any indication of Figment's popularity, it is much more just scalpers and Disney brand-oholics that made an effort to get this thing. I mean, Disney never stopped selling Figment plushies, for instance. These people mostly got the bucket because it's a new thing Disney introduced as "limited" much more than because they actually love Figment, though I'm sure some of them do. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority never even rode the original attraction though.

The whole situation is bad, in my opinion, because it tells Chapek & Co. a few things:

1. We don't actually have to adhere to our legacy as long as we occasionally throw the "purists" a bone in the form of a merchandise item.
2. People will make a big deal out of buying "limited" merchandise, therefore people like having IP marketed to them constantly while at WDW.
3. See? We were right. People love characters so much that they'll wait 6 hours for a plastic one. Bring in even more characters! Anywhere you can!
4. We coouuld just limit these to one per person/party and/or also sell them online to avoid creating a scalper frenzy, buuuuut the buzz this creates really helps us, sooo... let's keep doing it.

The Disney brand-aholics and lifestylers keep proving them right, unfortunately. Personally, I think if you're a Disney Parks purist and a Chapek hater you should definitely not buy the Figment Popcorn Bucket even if you really love Figment.
If the boxes are to be believed there were 3588 made but that may just be one shipment. I'm surprised they unpacked them in guest view.

Animaniac93-98

If the boxes are to be believed there were 3588 made but that may just be one shipment. I'm surprised they unpacked them in guest view.

I bought a popcorn bucket at Tokyo Disneyland that was only being sold at one location. There were skids with boxes of them being unloaded next to this cart in order to distribute them ASAP.

(no it was not a 6 hour, or even 1 hour, wait)

MoonRakerSCM

I bought a popcorn bucket at Tokyo Disneyland that was only being sold at one location. There were skids with boxes of them being unloaded next to this cart in order to distribute them ASAP.

(no it was not a 6 hour, or even 1 hour, wait)
Was it not Chapek that stated that a 4 hour line for a ride is a failure (referring to the limiting of access to Rise of the Resistance). So what does that make this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom