News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

John park hopper

D
Disney raised their ticket prices 30% over about six years. Hotel rates have skyrocketed to absurd levels. There are plenty of charts available showing how WDW has raised prices phenomenally, far outstripping inflation. And the increases under discussion here are much higher then current inflation rates.

If Disney’s price increases had even been slightly tied to inflation over the last several decades, sure, blaming inflation for price increases would be valid.
Add to it Disney's markup on everything is huge one would think they cold absorb the cost of inflation and still make a decent profit. Unfortunately they are beholding to the stockholders.

Cesar R M

I can tell when some have been eating Mickey Bar ice cream. In the 100 degree heat of the summer in the parks, I have seen and my sneakers at times have stepped on fresh chocolate stains that have fallen on the concrete walkways.
There you guys go.. Poetry! :hilarious:

Cesar R M

Webster's definition of "premium" includes multiple meanings. It can mean "of exceptional quality" but it can also simply mean "higher priced." Regardless of how you feel about the quality of experience at WDW, it certainly is higher priced.
Can you imagine describing this to a guy who has never been to Disney?

-"I heard they are premium"
-"Yeah, they are premium priced"

Cesar R M

Disney raised their ticket prices 30% over about six years. Hotel rates have skyrocketed to absurd levels. There are plenty of charts available showing how WDW has raised prices phenomenally, far outstripping inflation. And the increases under discussion here are much higher then current inflation rates.

If Disney’s price increases had even been slightly tied to inflation over the last several decades, sure, blaming inflation for price increases would be valid.
WHILE cutting down services, staff, maintenance.
Anyone remembers they even cut down room cleaning service?

BillyGr

Yeah, that entire post you reference was hyperbole or just really off. That expensive soda would be from some convenience store bottle price. Which is not a NYC thing but a convenience thing.
Likely based on a single bottle, but the part about Philly charging a per oz. tax applies no matter what, so that would add the same amount for a 20 oz. bottle no matter if you buy a single one at a convenience store or part of a multi pack at the grocery store.

Disstevefan1

I wasn't comparing it to other theme parks, which is why I specifically pointed out the food and hotel quality. With that said, I think the Universal deluxe hotels are as nice as (if not nicer than) some of the Disney deluxes, especially now that Disney has been stripping away the theming that made theme stand out as different. I'd rather stay in the Royal Pacific over at least half of the Disney deluxe hotels, even if the price was the same (and it's usually not).
Folks are beginning to notice WDW is not the only place to vacation in central Florida.

While Universal will never be the king of the hill in central Florida, Universal is a nice change, since it’s only mobbed compared to the super mobbed WDW. Not only that, as said here, the accommodations are very high quality for less money and the costs for many things at the UNI parks are less than at WDW.

Before it also gets too mobbed and/or if they implement their own park pass reservation system 😡, now is the time to experience the Universal parks.

A long time from now, we look upon these days as the “good old days” of the Universal.

Even today, when I think back on when Universal first opened, I miss some things that were changed or no longer exist.

FigmentsFangirl

I am guessing the price of a normal sized Coke has also increased ? If so.... Ok fine, what is it now ? Call me upset if you want, but its really gonna dent wallets if you just want a drinki, makes the Dining Plan a whole lot more worth it

Jrb1979

Folks are beginning to notice WDW is not the only place to vacation in central Florida.

While Universal will never be the king of the hill in central Florida, Universal is a nice change, since it’s only mobbed compared to the super mobbed WDW. Not only that, as said here, the accommodations are very high quality for less money and the costs for many things at the UNI parks are less than at WDW.

Before it also gets too mobbed and/or if they implement their own park pass reservation system 😡, now is the time to experience the Universal parks.

A long time from now, we look upon these days as the “good old days” of the Universal.

Even today, when I think back on when Universal first opened, I miss some things that were changed or no longer exist.
I went with my wife to Orlando a few years ago and found lots to do without stepping a foot inside Universal or Disney. We did SeaWorld, both Fun Spots and Busch Gardens.

DisneyCane

At WDW it was "common knowledge" among the various foods departments that the syrup was not paid for. Could obviously be incorrect, but seemed to be accurate as foods CMs had unlimited access to fountain beverages for themselves, but the bottles were inventoried and counted and the only significant cost to the company.
That's because fountain beverages are cheaper. The bottled beverages come from bottlers. They are not sold directly by Coke or Pepsi to the retailers.

The fountain syrup is so the retailer gets the profit for producing the drink by combining the syrup, water and CO2. Bulk CO2 is not free either.

It's the same reason that has station rewards programs give you free fountain drinks and not bottles normally. They are much cheaper.

Diamond Dot

For me a bottled soda isn't really a treat you can only get at Disney so I never buy them, I bring my own water in or a refillable water bottle now they have those filling stations. I also get a refillable mug and take it everywhere for me. I saw an article on another site that essentially dissed people who do this, but, probably says nothing about people who lug around a ton of probably unneccessary stuff. Being a Brit things like Hostess Cakes and the lovely muffins from Publix are a huge treat, so I'll buy those in and take those into the park, the same with bags of cheesy popcorn, totally unavailable in the UK. As for Dole Whips and Mickey Bars, I'll pay that because it is a treat I'll never get at home, but, I won't pay inflated prices for things like popcorn except in a special bucket.
At the end of the day all you need to spend money on in a Disney Park is the tickets, you are not forced to pay out for anything else. As for Universal being cheaper, the food is abysmal, the snacks and drinks are not cheaper, in fact the only places I eat at Universal are Starbucks and Ben and Jerrys and the baked potato stand. I've yet to have a decent sit down meal at US, even the Nathans they had at one time was pretty poor and don't get me started on the 'Cornish Pasties' in WWoHP. Having lived in Cornwall for over a decade I can tell you they are no more a cornish pasty than mashed potato is a Dole Whip.

Lilofan

Fun spot but both?
I don't know what to tell ya, if one spends money on airfare, lodging, rental car , food and drink and thinks Fun Spot on I-Drive is the place to be. Some may just feel it is but not for my family and I . Just don't go one one of those side streets near Fun Spot ( Tangelo Park area, Oak Ridge , Americana , right near the upscale Mall of Millenia ). Definitely not a safe area to be in day or night.

Diamond Dot

I don't know what to tell ya, if one spends money on airfare, lodging, rental car , food and drink and thinks Fun Spot on I-Drive is the place to be. Some may just feel it is but not for my family and I . Just don't go one one of those side streets near Fun Spot ( Tangelo Park area, Oak Ridge , Americana , right near the upscale Mall of Millenia ). Definitely not a safe area to be in day or night.
I agree, as a solo older female guest I go to Disney and stay onsite for the safety as much as anything else. I do take the Lynx bus down to the WalMart on 192 and never felt unsafe down that one, however, I have gone to the WalMart on Old Lake Wison Road and felt very unsafe at the bus stop there, the same with the Florida Mall, that used to be safe, but, last time I went it was scary. I do make myself aware of my surroundings and never make myself look like a tourist, nothing Disney or expensive items on me, my phone is clearly a cheap one. I am tempted to go check out the eateries by Publix at the Celebration Water Tower on this trip, but, as I have the dining credits I may not. I have no interest in travelling off site too much, I'm there for Disney at the end of the day.

Lilofan

I agree, as a solo older female guest I go to Disney and stay onsite for the safety as much as anything else. I do take the Lynx bus down to the WalMart on 192 and never felt unsafe down that one, however, I have gone to the WalMart on Old Lake Wison Road and felt very unsafe at the bus stop there, the same with the Florida Mall, that used to be safe, but, last time I went it was scary. I do make myself aware of my surroundings and never make myself look like a tourist, nothing Disney or expensive items on me, my phone is clearly a cheap one. I am tempted to go check out the eateries by Publix at the Celebration Water Tower on this trip, but, as I have the dining credits I may not. I have no interest in travelling off site too much, I'm there for Disney at the end of the day.
One area where travelers can save some money instead of buying full priced merchandise at the theme parks is to drive to or uber to the Orlando outlet stores which I believe have Disney stores. Two of them come to mind. One shopping outlet is near the 417 Greenway Toll Road / I- Drive and the other big shopping outlet is at the far end of I-Drive that borders a very dangerous residential area near the Mall of Millenia. Traveling on a local city bus can open ones eyes to the sights that the Disney tourist rarely sees, but it is a good way to save money.

hismattjesty

I am guessing the price of a normal sized Coke has also increased ? If so.... Ok fine, what is it now ? Call me upset if you want, but its really gonna dent wallets if you just want a drinki, makes the Dining Plan a whole lot more worth it
A 20oz bottled soda has increased to $5 while fountain beverages seem to hover in the $3.99 range now.

Diamond Dot

One area where travelers can save some money instead of buying full priced merchandise at the theme parks is to drive to or uber to the Orlando outlet stores which I believe have Disney stores. Two of them come to mind. One shopping outlet is near the 417 Greenway Toll Road / I- Drive and the other big shopping outlet is at the far end of I-Drive that borders a very dangerous residential area near the Mall of Millenia. Traveling on a local city bus can open ones eyes to the sights that the Disney tourist rarely sees, but it is a good way to save money.
I agree, I like the outlets at the botton of I-Drive. Also Target and WalMart do a lot of Disney and US merch a good prices.

Jrb1979

Fun spot but both?
btw I lived 20 years in central Florida, I know how diverse it is with so many interesting corners to poke into.
Yes. I enjoyed both parks and loved the coasters they have.
I don't think Fun Spot is the place to be but it's worth checking out. All I was saying is there is so much to do outside Universal and Disney. Even I-Drive has lots to do. I'm amazed that so many never leave the bubble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom