Very surprised about no Dining Plan announcement yet

Schweino

Original Poster
Maybe I'm just getting impatient, but it's been 5 months now since Disney's last announcement about the Dining Plan (which of course gave no specific date, just that it would be back). I'm a bit surprised that there has been no follow up's to this. I've seen a few articles where recently the button magically appeared to some folk when booking (which threw an error when attempted), so I thought there was maybe some hope for a soon announcement.

What's your thoughts? No dining plan until indoor mask policies are gone?

Vegas Disney Fan

Maybe I'm just getting impatient, but it's been 5 months now since Disney's last announcement about the Dining Plan (which of course gave no specific date, just that it would be back). I'm a bit surprised that there has been no follow up's to this. I've seen a few articles where recently the button magically appeared to some folk when booking (which threw an error when attempted), so I thought there was maybe some hope for a soon announcement.

I don’t see it coming back until the staffing issues are resolved and all the hotels are open and trying to fill 100% occupancy again.

castlecake2.0

There’s still too many issues to bring back DDP. There’s no point to pre sell your restaurants when some haven’t even reopened, others only open certain days, most facing staff shortages, and all the supply chain issues. As well they still don’t have all their room inventory back online yet. My guess would be maayyyybe next fall.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes you are impatient. If you've been to the parks since reopening, you do notice that food service is just barely limping along. They do well on slower days, but on busy days its a nightmare at best. TS reservations are all full at the level they have available staff. Quick Service can take an hour or more from ordering to pickup.

DDP isnt going to happen for quite a while, if it does ever return as it requires capacity that just isnt there presently.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

If you miss the dining plan, You do realize that you could simply put the same amount that the dining plan would cost on to a Disney gift card and just present the card whenever you get a snack, drink or meal, correct?

Depending on when/where you purchase the Disney gift card you could possibly get an additional discount from the retailer you purchase it from thus getting a better deal.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If you miss the dining plan, You do realize that you could simply put the same amount that the dining plan would cost on to a Disney gift card and just present the card whenever you get a snack, drink or meal, correct?

Depending on when/where you purchase the Disney gift card you could possibly get an additional discount from the retailer you purchase it from thus getting a better deal.
Unless you get free dining as part of a package.

Sirwalterraleigh

But people won’t do that…because they believe somehow that coupon system is so much better…all evidence to the contrary
Unless you get free dining as part of a package.
That really isn’t “a thing” anymore…I know they still have great UK packages (for now…don’t count on that either)…but free dining has been more or less gone outside that market anyway
Aren't those packages predominantly based off rack rate or a price fairly close to rack rate for the room?
No real difference then
I think you are correct but since most rates are rack rates anyway right now free dining would be a pretty good deal.
Yep…maximum price and rising…can’t put a price on “magic” says Bob
There just isn’t enough dining capacity yet to support the dining plans. I suspect it will be a bit.
Hopefully it comes back in may

roj2323

I'm honestly surprised you would think they are going to bring back the Dining plan with how they are taking every opportunity to squeeze every nickel out of guests here lately. There's literally zero incentive to offer Dining packages when attendance is above 2019 (pre pandemic) levels. Short term they will boost income but long term I feel like they are sooting themselves in the foot.

Sirwalterraleigh

I'm honestly surprised you would think they are going to bring back the Dining plan with how they are taking every opportunity to squeeze every nickel out of guests here lately. There's literally zero incentive to offer Dining packages when attendance is above 2019 (pre pandemic) levels. Short term they will boost income but long term I feel like they are sooting themselves in the foot.
I tend to agree..but how do you think that would be shooting them selves in the foot?

Weather_Lady

I agree with you if you're talking about "free" (discounted) dining promotions. However, as far as the DDP itself, when guests buy it, Disney wins (because guests almost always end up overpaying) with the DDP. The DDP nickels-and-dimes guests so subtly that many of them are duped into thinking they're actually saving money: it's the ultimate win-win for Disney. I would think that would incentivize Disney to bring back the paid DDP as soon as possible, after it's restored full dining capacity and staffing.

Schweino

Original Poster
FWIW when I was planning a 2019 trip, it was either free dining promo during one part of the year or 30% off hotel rates promo a different part of the year. We chose Pop which I think had a 20 or 15% off rate at the time I booked. So its not like they increase the rates of the resorts, just that the rooms aren't discounted at all. For a week stay, even at 50% off Pop, free dining was still a savings and the better value. Unfortunately I cant mathematically prove that now with no real life scenarios in play currently.

Its still confusing to me that they made this announcement in June affirming it will be back but have not followed up yet with anything. I would argue that the dining plan makes consumers spend more than maybe they typically would then not having it, but thats just my opinion.

mattpeto

It will work it’s way back. It’s clearly a labor issue. Hopefully over the next few months, EPCOT starts bringing back international cast members to work at World Showcase. Then the current staff can shuffle to other closed restaurants (shoot nearby is Flying Fish and ESPN Zone).

I think it will return by Q2 2022.

I also think they should add a perk to Dining Plan members and allow them to make one reservation per day from 75 days out. This will give them the leg up to get the reservations they need to make the dining plan work for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom