Suggestions to get to Tampa to WDW

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Long story short, the cost of flights from Bos->MCO is in the 600 to 700 dollar range (one way), but I snagged a flight to Tampa for 1/2 that price - woohoo. We're planning on staying at Disney for a week and so now the quandry is how to get from TPA to WDW and then at the end of the week return

I see my options as
1. Car rental - looks to be about 600+ for the week we're there
2. Shuttle service (does one exist?)
3. Limo
4. Uber/Taxi

My knee jerk reaction is #1, as that provides my family I the freedom, but truth be told, the car will be sitting at the resort and since we're now charged a fee I'm paying disney for no reason at all.

I have no idea how much a limo service costs but i suspect it will be more then the car rental and that's probably just one way (I also need a return trip)

Thoughts/suggestions

Lilofan

Long story short, the cost of flights from Bos->MCO is in the 600 to 700 dollar range (one way), but I snagged a flight to Tampa for 1/2 that price - woohoo. We're planning on staying at Disney for a week and so now the quandry is how to get from TPA to WDW and then at the end of the week return

I see my options as
3. Limo
4. Uber/Taxi

My knee jerk reaction is #1, as that provides my family I the freedom, but truth be told, the car will be sitting at the resort and since we're now charged a fee I'm paying disney for no reason at all.

I have no idea how much a limo service costs but i suspect it will be more then the car rental and that's probably just one way (I also need a return trip)

Thoughts/suggestions
Uber XL which included up to 5-6 passengers would cost around $150 one way.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Have you really shopped around for the rental car? Are you signed up for all of the rental car loyalty clubs? Checked corporate codes, AAA, Hotwire, wholesale clubs?

I'd rent a car and then use the car the whole week. Drive everywhere except for the Magic Kingdom.

For next time, it may be simpler to change your departing airport to Providence, Manchester, or Hartford than to change your arriving flight to Tampa.

Upvote 0

RoadiJeff

I see my options as
3. Limo
4. Uber/Taxi

Last month, I rented a midsize SUV from Thrifty through Priceline from the MCO airport for a week for around $350, including taxes and fees. As others have said, shop around a bit (Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, etc.). Plus, the hotel I stayed at close to Universal had no surcharge for parking.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Last month, I rented a midsize SUV from Thrifty through Priceline from the MCO airport for a week for around $350, including taxes and fees. As others have said, shop around a bit (Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, etc.). Plus, the hotel I stayed at close to Universal had no surcharge for parking.
Renting a vehicle at MCO has got to be the easiest of any airport. After leaving the rental counter In the airport , you walk ( 1 -2 min ) across the road to the parking garage to get your vehicle. You return it to the same location.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
For next time, it may be simpler to change your departing airport to Providence, Manchester, or Hartford than to change your arriving flight to Tampa.
Actually I'm flying out of PVD - Any flights from Boston to FLA were outrageously expensive, that of course is neither here nor there regarding how best to get from TPA to WDW

Thrifty through Priceline from the MCO airport for a week for around $350,
Right now the basic non-discounted rates are in the 600 dollar range. I've yet to see how my rewards programs and/or discount services would impact it. I felt it best to use the basic cost to determine how to proceed and if I can save money all the better. To put it another way, I'd rather estimate on the higher amount and not be shocked vs. the other way around :)

1636977946185.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RoadiJeff

Renting a vehicle at MCO has got to be the easiest of any airport. After leaving the rental counter In the airport , you walk ( 1 -2 min ) across the road to the parking garage to get your vehicle. You return it to the same location.
Yes, unless someone uses one of several offsite rental companies. People are usually lured to them by the initial low rental fee and then they try to nickle and dime you to death with add-ons. They figure you are now their prisoner since you cannot simply walk away to another company across the room. I've used an offsite company (Economy) and if you go prepared and are aware of their tactics it works out OK.

BTW, many people don't seem to know about the nice free transponder rental service at the MCO airport called Visitor Toll Pass and they end up paying the car rental agency $10/day plus tolls. It adds up if someone is renting for a week.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
So as I dig in a little deeper for the car rental, I see that Disney charges about 20 dollars a night to park the car at the resort (I'm staying at POR) So a 600 dollar car rental just turned into a 760 dollar rental. Throw in an added cost if we choose to drive to a park and avoid the bus and its even more $$.

Even if I'm not using the car to drive to the theme parks, 760 is very pricey compared to the Uber XL for 300 (round trip) that was mentioned above.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Yes, unless someone uses one of several offsite rental companies. People are usually lured to them by the initial low rental fee and then they try to nickle and dime you to death with add-ons. They figure you are now their prisoner since you cannot simply walk away to another company across the room. I've used an offsite company (Economy) and if you go prepared and are aware of their tactics it works out OK.

BTW, many people don't seem to know about the nice free transponder rental service at the MCO airport called Visitor Toll Pass and they end up paying the car rental agency $10/day plus tolls. It adds up if someone is renting for a week.
I've heard of those cheaper rental places several miles from the airport. Taking a chance if you drop off your car there and depend of the free shuttle to take you back to MCO. It runs but not as quick as one thinks.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

So as I dig in a little deeper for the car rental, I see that Disney charges about 20 dollars a night to park the car at the resort (I'm staying at POR) So a 600 dollar car rental just turned into a 760 dollar rental. Throw in an added cost if we choose to drive to a park and avoid the bus and its even more $$.

Even if I'm not using the car to drive to the theme parks, 760 is very pricey compared to the Uber XL for 300 (round trip) that was mentioned above.
Uber XL is the way I would go. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I've heard of those cheaper rental places several miles from the airport.
My very first trip to WDW, I fell for one of those - Spent so much time getting a shuttle to that rental place, waiting in a huge line and by the end of the day, I didn't really save that much money - Lesson learned.

Now I go with established rental places, that are in the airport, so I just grab and go.

Uber XL is the way I would go.
The only reason why I would rent a car, would be to avoid the Disney busses and drive to the parks. I have a love/hate relationship with the busses but they're free (for now), and I think it makes too much economic sense to use the Uber XL option, 300 (round trip) vs. 760. I'll be basically paying Herz/Alamo/Enterprise to have a car sit in the parking lot for the week

Upvote 0

Lilofan

My very first trip to WDW, I fell for one of those - Spent so much time getting a shuttle to that rental place, waiting in a huge line and by the end of the day, I didn't really save that much money - Lesson learned.

Now I go with established rental places, that are in the airport, so I just grab and go.

The only reason why I would rent a car, would be to avoid the Disney busses and drive to the parks. I have a love/hate relationship with the busses but they're free (for now), and I think it makes too much economic sense to use the Uber XL option, 300 (round trip) vs. 760. I'll be basically paying Herz/Alamo/Enterprise to have a car sit in the parking lot for the week
One suggestion - apply to get into private FB group Ear for Each Other. This is a FB group started by furloughed and laid off cast to earn money for their side gigs. Jake Adkins former Minnie Van cast member driver is highly recommended for vehicle transport to from MCO and going around WDW. Perhaps ask Jake if he can pick you up at Tampa . Your 90 minute ride will probably be filled with a lot of Disney knowledge and tips from Jake!

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I’d look into one of the private car services too. Seen good reports about Tony Hinds.

Also I did just a quick search and there’s a train from Tampa to Orlando, just under 2 hrs and $40. Worth looking into.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I snagged a Rental Car for a week for $444.10($63.00/day) Go to amtrak.com and ASK JULIE...search RENTAL CARS...it will give you a link
I'm going to go the uber XL, simply because we'll be spending all but one day on property. Given that Disney charges a nightly fee at the resort, getting a ride from TPA to WDW (and vice versa) will be the most cost effective.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

Twice we flew from Pittsburgh to Tampa because it was half the cost.
We rented a car the first time from Tampa and dropped it off at MCO and used the ME back to our hotel on property. (It's no longer functioning).
But the second time we rented in Tampa and dropped it off at the car rental place right on property, and they took us in a van (in our case straight to the MK) because we dropped our luggage at the hotel first. So a single day rental and it took us maybe an hour and a half to drive to Disney. Also I love the car rental system at Tampa. If you've reserved ahead you go straight down and grab a car.

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Did you reverse that procedure to return to Tampa? Also did they charge you a fee for not returning it to your originating location? Does Disney have an “Official” rental car company?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom