Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Based on a few personal attempts at making reservations at Walt Disney World resorts over the past few months, I had suspected and it was confirmed today by a cast member that not only has Disney increased their resort rates to outrageous prices (value resorts are charging $700+ a night over the holidays), but they also are forcing you to pay those rates for a minimum of 2 nights and are not booking single night reservations.

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

A few folks have said it in the last few months, but it really is time for a strong message to be sent that enough is enough because we can't let our beloved DISNEY become DI$NEY.

Donald Duck Money GIF

Based on all this, I had to ask, what you think is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

Also, I figured it's time to re-share this petition...

giantgolfer

To be clear, no one is forcing you to do anything. If you don’t like the prices, or just can’t fit it in your budget then you don’t go.

Are the prices a lot higher than they used to be? Yes. But what isn’t, right now? I work in retail and we have raised prices on a lot of items that are popular, mainly because of low supply and high demand. It’s just a business decision.

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
To be clear, no one is forcing you to do anything. If you don’t like the prices, or just can’t fit it in your budget then you don’t go.

Are the prices a lot higher than they used to be? Yes. But what isn’t, right now? I work in retail and we have raised prices on a lot of items that are popular, mainly because of low supply and high demand. It’s just a business decision.

To be clear, this effort to squeeze guests for every penny has been happening for a very long time, as evidenced by the elimination of the inclusion of parking costs in your room rate, and tacking it on as an extra fee. Shrugging it off is not a smart approach, because before you know it, those who are middle class fans like those who work in retail, won't be able to afford to experience the magic as Walt intended to make it accessible to all families.

Tom P.

To be clear, this effort to squeeze guests for every penny has been happening for a very long time, as evidenced by the elimination of the inclusion of parking costs in your room rate, and tacking it on as an extra fee. Shrugging it off is not a smart approach, because before you know it, those who are middle class fans like those who work in retail, won't be able to afford to experience the magic as Walt intended to make it accessible to all families.
There are only two approaches. Shrug it off and accept it or don't go. Nothing else matters to Disney. Either you are a customer or not. It is only when they start losing revenue that they will change. No amount of complaints, petitions, emails, surveys, and the like will make them change. For me, I still choose to go.

eliza61nyc

Disney has never been affordable to everyone. Sorry I clearly remember many a person complaining about the cost in the 80s. One of the problems is that people view a Disney vacation as some sort of "right". That since they went as kids they should be able to go forever at a price they like or since they grew up with Walt, he somehow was a benevolent uncle , if Walt wanted to make it accessible for all families he should have kept it privately owned and gave away tickets.
They unfortunately now have stockholders who are the first priority.
I agree with @Tom P. It's simple. yes Disney current game plan is to get the most money legally possible from its guest. It's up to each guest to decide if the asking price is worth the product.

Last edited:

GuyFawkes

Disney will go by the numbers. Rise your prices lose some guests? Doesn't matter if the numbers work in their favor.

I think this is destine to fail because many will think Disney is just a rich mans resort and rich men will start to bulk at how much it costs. Everyone has a budget and it's a matter of the value you get out of it. Disney even for the well off may become a one and done.

eliza61nyc

Now that being said, the one thing I think sends a horrible message is eliminating Magical express.
The star wars room price doesn't bother me at all, if someone wants to pay that price for an experience have at it. I've said it before when Hamilton hit Broadway people were dropping 1-2k a ticket, if you could even get one and almost 4 years later it's still selling for crazy amounts of money.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney will go by the numbers. Rise your prices lose some guests? Doesn't matter if the numbers work in their favor.

I think this is destine to fail because many will think Disney is just a rich mans resort and rich men will start to bulk at how much it costs. Everyone has a budget and it's a matter of the value you get out of it. Disney even for the well off may become a one and done.
I’ve said the same for years with each price increase but my AP has gone from $600 in 2014 to $1400 now and I still pay it, and I’m far from rich.

We’ve been to DL twice in the past few months and it’s as busy as ever, if they are pricing people out it’s not noticeable.

John park hopper

Speaking for myself Disney hasn't priced me out, I just choose not to spend my money on what I consider less value than what I received years ago. My oldest son is taking his 2 young sons in Dec fortunately for him he has Hilton honors points and has booked the Hilton in Disney Springs (at no cost) otherwise they would not be going. Probably one and done trip for them --cost too much

ecranos

I had no idea they went to a two night minimum at resorts. That explains why when I tried to do an overnight for my bday in November nothing was available. It’s early November midweek so I was pretty surprised.
We didn’t renew our passes this year for exactly those reasons. We’ll still go up for a night or two couple times a year I imagine but it’s definitely not our go to vacation spot anymore.

Disstevefan1

Speaking for myself Disney hasn't priced me out, I just choose not to spend my money on what I consider less value than what I received years ago. My oldest son is taking his 2 young sons in Dec fortunately for him he has Hilton honors points and has booked the Hilton in Disney Springs (at no cost) otherwise they would not be going. Probably one and done trip for them --cost too much
I am of the same opinion. Today with park pass reservations, even if you purchase the top tier AP that has no blackouts you are still not guaranteed entrance into a park. The idea of spur-of-the-moment going to the park is gone forever, that, to me, was very valuable, and now that value is gone.

DisneyJoe

I had no idea they went to a two night minimum at resorts. That explains why when I tried to do an overnight for my bday in November nothing was available. It’s early November midweek so I was pretty surprised.
We didn’t renew our passes this year for exactly those reasons. We’ll still go up for a night or two couple times a year I imagine but it’s definitely not our go to vacation spot anymore.
Resort minimums have existed for many many years, they just haven't always announced or enforced them, and they have varied by resorts. It wouldn't surprise me if they allow 1 night bookings again depending on demand, or lack of it, perhaps after the Oct-Dec 2021 season with its demand for the 50th.

JIMINYCR

We all know why Disney is doing, and has always done stuff like this.

Becau$e they can 🤑. Folks just keep coming.
Genie + in my mind is THE WORST. Many of the others... well isnt that the point. As long as business keeps moving along and the numbers of those booking keep solid, they are making money and the investors are making money, and they are continuing to build on...
No business willingly cuts prices and free perks they give out unless they start to see themselves hurting. When losses were being felt, due to covid they had to make up money somehow and we the guests are where the guillotine falls. Once its accepted why go back?
I wonder how many one day stays they actually were having booked?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom