Spaceship Earth: Our Shared Story Canceled?

Pifase

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So, The refurb that was supposed to update Spaceship Earth into Spaceship Earth: Our Shared Story was supposed to start back in Early 2020. Do we know anything about the Refurb, or has it been Canceled?

Moka

Last I heard it was "delayed indefinitely". This well over a year ago. They're not going to have Spaceship Earth closed for the 50th celebration timeframe, or EPCOT's 40th (my thoughts, not fact). So no idea.

Goofyernmost

Costs too much money, Chapek said no </sarcasm>
Well according to many and somewhat myself, that is a good plan, for a change. Yes, it is dated, but any upgrade should be just in connection with changing time. Same story but where technology is displayed it needs to stay with the times. The History part is history and has no reason to change. Plus you can't change history, it is want it was, but the history in the last three generations time frame can be upgraded. Also that ride down could be used to upgrade from history to more current things. That would have to be updated every few years, but it is a small part of the overall attraction. Disney can afford it.

JustAFan

There's a thread in the rumors section on Spaceship Earth and the postponement of the refurb.

Raineman

Just replace the faded projection of the woolly mammoth/neanderthal battle with a large HD screen, uncover and refurb the satellite and space station at 180 top, come up with something new-anything-for the descent, and I'll be happy.

JustAFan

They're missing a couple of major milestones in communication technology. The world wide web is only vaguely hinted at. Mobile phones and social media are on par with the other events in the attraction and should be included if the story continues in the same theme.

JohnD

Last I heard it was "delayed indefinitely". This well over a year ago. They're not going to have Spaceship Earth closed for the 50th celebration timeframe, or EPCOT's 40th (my thoughts, not fact). So no idea.

Yeah, I would wait until after 40th anniversary and also opening of GOTG. i.e. one opens, one closes. Net zero closures.

muddyrivers

I honestly want them to uncover and refurbish the Decent scene from the 94' Refurb
That was truly magical for me whenever I rode it as a kid. Going down that descent, seeing kids going on a VR field trip, the video chats across the world (predecessor to FaceTime), it just made me so excited for what the future would bring! Now even today I know seeing those scenes would evoke a sense of nostalgia that I would love to see again.

Tom Morrow

I wouldn't say that the 2007 descent is atrocious, it just could have been done better (like not putting a tarp over the 1994 descent).

I would. For starters, the technology behind the video was already something JibJab had been doing for years at that point. It and flash cartoons in general were already old hat in 2007.

Second, the content of the video is too goofy and out-there. It is not properly in tone with the rest of the attraction. It is overly cartoony and outlandish, which is an odd follow up to a realistic recap of the history of innovation. The technology innovations showcased in it are too Jetsons-y to be any sort of believable near future.

Third, it is completely pointless to be riding in a vehicle yet staring at a screen on the vehicle. It has always seemed apparent to me that the screen content was intended to be a post-show kiosk, and the screens were going to have a greater purpose, but whatever that purpose was was scrapped at the last moment and they were turned into a kiosk game. All the while you ride past obvious curtains blocking previous physical sets and UV-lit triangles. Ride designers who keep trying to push for interactivity/VR/screens, etc in attractions should always ask themselves, "could this be a kiosk or exhibit?" And if the answer is yes, it should not be on a ride. See also: WEBslingers.

Cmdr_Crimson

IThird, it is completely pointless to be riding in a vehicle yet staring at a screen on the vehicle. It has always seemed apparent to me that the screen content was intended to be a post-show kiosk, and the screens were going to have a greater purpose, but whatever that purpose was was scrapped at the last moment and they were turned into a kiosk game. All the while you ride past obvious curtains blocking previous physical sets and UV-lit triangles. Ride designers who keep trying to push for interactivity/VR/screens, etc in attractions should always ask themselves, "could this be a kiosk or exhibit?" And if the answer is yes, it should not be on a ride. See also: WEBslingers.
Not exactly..Disneyland's Former Innoventions did this instead of the ride vehicle you took your photo at the kiosk and did the choices and such to then see the same video you see on the decent on SSE...
c8086928f4f23c0f087728491e0cb750--the-area-pavilion.jpg

Michaelson

As long as they don't remove that groovy cool Chevy Vega, I'm good with a few changes in the 'current' scenes to freshen it up a bit. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom