Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The World's Most Magical Celebration may be underway, but this isn't going to stop Disney from tightening the belt over the coming months.

I am hearing from multiple areas that the parks are being asked to heavily cut labor costs. A difficult situation when the parks are still in the process of coming back from the closure and guests numbers are starting to rebound.

Some of this is normal during Q1 in previous years, but 2021 is heavier than normal.

peter11435

The World's Most Magical Celebration may be underway, but this isn't going to stop Disney from tightening the belt over the coming months.

I am hearing from multiple areas that the parks are being asked to heavily cut labor costs. A difficult situation when the parks are still in the process of coming back from the closure and guests numbers are starting to rebound.

Some of this is normal during Q1 in previous years, but 2021 is heavier than normal.
yep. And the problem is there’s really not much left to cut.

Its bad enough to cut from park operations but any additional cuts from custodial, horticulture, and maintenance will be especially painful because these areas are quickly becoming noticeably problematic.

Disneyson

I think that the move to ADD at least two additional cast members to a lightning lane would be a huge mistake right now, especially because it’s unproven if Genie sales can cover the costs of all those CMs.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not surprised. I assumed they were already doing this and it would continue. Times are still tough right now for travel and tourism. And then add on top of that the company's other obligations...

peter11435

I think that the move to ADD at least two additional cast members to a lightning lane would be a huge mistake right now, especially because it’s unproven if Genie sales can cover the costs of all those CMs.
Most LL entrances are already being utilized and staffed for DAS or other alternate entrance types. There’s really not much additional labor needed to turn on LL access.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm confused. I thought Disney was trying and struggling to hire additional, necessary workers to staff the parks and resorts? And now they're cutting?
They have shortages in very specific roles - kitchens and housekeeping primarily. Most guest facing areas are not a problem.

Expect to see cuts in the usual places, like number of CMs in stores etc.

Sir_Cliff

It would be nice if Disney wasn't so obvious about slashing their own costs at the same time they raise prices.

I know some are unhappy with the negativity that the 50th seems to have unleashed, but it is increasingly hard not to see the company is utterly cynical in the way it treats its customers.

ToTBellHop

Apparently, when they say, “The Magic is You!” they mean it literally. Guests will soon be empowered to look inside their hearts and learn they have the power to clean the toilets in the parks, change out trash cans, and check their own seatbelts on Soarin’ Around the World! Wherever you go, you have it!

mikejs78

Premium Member
Both are true at the same time

They have shortages in very specific roles - kitchens and housekeeping primarily. Most guest facing areas are not a problem.

Expect to see cuts in the usual places, like number of CMs in stores etc.
If I had to guess, this is a direct result of crowds not materializing post-Covid like they expected (or rather, Delta changed things). Hopefully some of these will return once crowds return, but my fear is that this will become the new baseline.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If I had to guess, this is a direct result of crowds not materializing post-Covid like they expected (or rather, Delta changed things). Hopefully some of these will return once crowds return, but my fear is that this will become the new baseline.
There is a definite plateau being felt throughout the hospitality industry...

Muffinpants

But if things were better, more shows and Disney hospitality like it used to be more folks would come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom