Will Harmonious Survive?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
The other thread which is basically a grieving site, it’s been buried in almost every form of social media to the point Disney took the video off Facebook and Zach Ridleys Instagram was blown up. I’m not talking just us Epcot purists but allot of fun of the mill Disney fans. This does not look good. As for me the beginning seemed promising, the ending was fantastic and belongs to a better show I think. I can’t see them maintaining this monstrosity. So much to break and go wrong. Besides every other complaint I don’t see how the shows going to go a full year without at least having a revised edition. I know there’s probably a thread although I haven’t found all but one that’s a grieving site l.

waltography

After sitting with the show for some time and watching better recordings of it, I think there's a workable show in there somewhere—not great, but not as bad as it is now.

If we're armchair Imagineering revisions to Harmonious, I'd like to see the new Epcot anthem take over the current noise of an opener since the anthem makes a very brief cameo at the beginning and end of the show anyway. Unlike the current intro (which overlays songs voice stems ripped from original soundtracks without care of key or flow), the anthem is a gorgeous bit of orchestration with a simple melody that's easy to remember and would bookend the show nicely. It would still fit the current Act 1 theme of "Gather" too.

It's one bit of music I wouldn't mind hearing everywhere, not least of which at the kiss goodnight.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Honestly I don't think it will last more than a few years and even in that time they may have to tweak it.
Its sad that they put sooo much time and money into it and then it turned out to be meh.

JIMINYCR

With the huge expense put into this they certainly are going to get as much out of it as possible as it is now. They will at some point have to determine if changes need to be made to make it more pleasing. Probably not admitting changes need to be made because of how they set it up but rather they wanted to adjust the program for making it fit events better.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
How can something be a total failure if it JUST launched a few days ago? I never understood this mindset. Things take time to work themselves out and people want it to be a success within the first 5 minutes or else it's deemed a fail. Nobody is willing to let anything flesh itself out anymore, it either has to be an instant success or it's instantly a flop.

Cliff

I said this in another thread:

HarmonioUS as it is today, does not belong in Epcot.

I LOVE ketchup. I put it on almost everything.

I LOVE ice cream. I could eat it every day.

I would NEVER pour ketchup on my ice cream...they just don't belong together.

I'm sure the people that made this show are wonderful people who tried very hard and had the best intentions! I commend you for your effort. However, I feel that the overall goal of forcing Disney movie properties into Epcot by ANY way possible,....was a failed idea from day one!!!

Epcot (with the exception of Figment) is about REAL places, REAL things and REAL people. It's about what actually "IS",...or at least "COULD BE" possible.

Want to show us Africa? Sho us a REAL Affrica. Want to show us, Arabia? So us a REAL Arabia. Does that make sense? Showing us "Lion King", "Jungle Book", "Brave" or "Beauty and the Beast" does NOTHING for those countries. It represents NOTHING that Epcot was supposed to be.

Unlike Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios....Epcot (excluding Figment) is about more"REAL" and less about "fantasy".

People are reacting badly to "HarmonioUS" because the animation properties are painfully now FORCED into the park. Attempts were clearly made to "bend" it and "shoe-horn" it with a crowbar into place but it just doesn't work. You can try to make a ketchup-flavored Ice cream as hard as you want but doent be horrified when 99% of the people say they don't want it! Tomato, vinegar, and salt KILLS the ice cream!

This show has NO story....NO "flow" whatsoever....NO real message about anything! What does a guest "LEARN" from this random medley of Disney songs strung together? Even the imagery is mostly bland artwork and SCREEN-SAVER color patterns!

I love the people that made it but this show is downright HOLLOW! It has nothing inside of it that Epcot really stands for.

The video footage I shot is literally painful to watch...

Last edited:

wdwfan22

They'll never admit it's a failure. They'll continue to act like it's all rainbow and butterflies, but we know better.
They won't admit it but they will change it. IllumiNations 25 was changed shortly after it premiered due to poor Guest feedback. I see them keeping the name but altering the show as soon as they can come up with a new version.

dreday3

How can something be a total failure if it JUST launched a few days ago? I never understood this mindset. Things take time to work themselves out and people want it to be a success within the first 5 minutes or else it's deemed a fail. Nobody is willing to let anything flesh itself out anymore, it either has to be an instant success or it's instantly a flop.

God, this is so true. It's hard to believe there is already chatter about changing the shows. It hasn't even been a week...

It happens with new series all the time. A great show gets 3 episodes and then is cancelled because of people complaining on social media that "nothing is happening yet...". It's so annoying.

Vegas Disney Fan

With the expenses associated with building the barges my guess is 5 years minimum before they disappear, that doesn’t mean they can’t tweak the show though.

Mickeys mix magic at DL is the most hated, most heavily criticized show I can think of and it’s now in its third year, and that’s with no hardware costs associated to it, it’s also much less criticized now than it was when it opened, people have gotten used to it and now enjoy it for what it is rather than hating it for what it isn’t.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I said this in another thread:

HarmonioUS as it is today, does not belong in Epcot.

I LOVE ketchup. I put it on almost everything.

I LOVE ice cream. I could eat it every day.

I would NEVER pour ketchup on my ice cream...they just don't belong together.

I'm sure the people that made this show are wonderful people who tried very hard and had the best intentions! I commend you for your effort. However, I feel that the overall goal of forcing Disney movie properties into Epcot by ANY way possible,....was a failed idea from day one!!!

Epcot (with the exception of Figment) is about REAL places, REAL things and REAL people. It's about what actually "IS",...or at least "COULD BE" possible.

Want to show us Africa? Sho us a REAL Affrica. Want to show us, Arabia? So us a REAL Arabia. Does that make sense? Showing us "Lion King", "Jungle Book", "Brave" or "Beauty and the Beast" does NOTHING for those countries. It represents NOTHING that Epcot was supposed to be.

Unlike Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios....Epcot (excluding Figment) is about more"REAL" and less about "fantasy".

People are reacting badly to "HarmonioUS" because the animation properties are painfully now FORCED into the park. Attempts were clearly made to "bend" it and "shoe-horn" it with a crowbar into place but it just doesn't work. You can try to make a ketchup-flavored Ice cream as hard as you want but doent be horrified when 99% of the people say they don't want it! Tomato, vinegar, and salt KILLS the ice cream!

This show has NO story....NO "flow" whatsoever....NO real message about anything! What does a guest "LEARN" from this random medley of Disney songs strung together? Even the imagery is mostly bland artwork and SCREEN-SAVER color patterns!

I love the people that made it but this show is downright HOLLOW! It has nothing inside of it that Epcot really stands for.

The video footage I shot is literally painful to watch...
Now I want to try ketchup flavoured ice cream and I feel you will judge me badly.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Because their shows are not dynamically learning and adapting? Their show is what it is... It's not an actor's performance that will get better with practice, etc.

Cliff

Now I want to try ketchup flavoured ice cream and I feel you will judge me badly.
I'm not here to judge anybody in particular. If you like ketchup on your ice cream I support that 100% More power to you!

I'm not trying to criticize or judge any actual "person" for this show. I'm only questioning the logic behind these basic show concepts. (or lack thereof)

I'm sure there are many people who support ANY new content being added to Epcot. If Disney introduced graphic adult content into a nighttime spectacular....I'm 100% certain that MANY people would say that's a good thing to finally see in a Disney show.

Yes,....those people actually exist and will say it's a good idea....even though it's clearly not.

If people like it? Excellent for Disney! All we can do is express ourselves as customers and it will be Disney's job to figure that ratio of love vs dislike.

Opinions are like....(you know how it goes)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom