Beacons of Magic

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
I saw the videos of the Beacons of Magic for each of the parks.
Magic Kingdom - more projections and left me with "meh"
Animal Kingdom - looked ok. Still left me with "meh"
HS - It feels like they picked the wrong icon. I would have picked the Chinese Theater. Still. More projections. "meh"

Let me clarify on this:

The projections are nice. If I hadn't seen projections over the last 5 years I'd think they were awesome. As it is, it feels like "more of the same". Ok, they tossed another pattern up there. The animations they do in the projections are pretty fantastic. I think they do a great job there. Still, it doesn't feel like they really went the extra mile with it.

Epcot: THIS looks fantastic. They knocked it out of the park. It's a great addition to SSE which only enhances it and doesn't take anything away. THIS sort of thing is what I'd really like to have seen done to the castle, tree, and (because I think they chose wrong) Chinese Theater.

It really is a "Holy @#%&! that's awesome" thing.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

HS - It feels like they picked the wrong icon. I would have picked the Chinese Theater. Still. More projections. "meh"

Let me clarify on this:

The projections are nice. If I hadn't seen projections over the last 5 years I'd think they were awesome. As it is, it feels like "more of the same". Ok, they tossed another pattern up there. The animations they do in the projections are pretty fantastic. I think they do a great job there. Still, it doesn't feel like they really went the extra mile with it.

Epcot: THIS looks fantastic. They knocked it out of the park. It's a great addition to SSE which only enhances it and doesn't take anything away. THIS sort of thing is what I'd really like to have seen done to the castle, tree, and (because I think they chose wrong) Chinese Theater.

Who ever was in charge of Epcot’s beacons of light should have been the one to design the nighttime show for the lagoon. All creativity, no imagery whatsoever except for what lighting they had to work with. Used something that simple, the right music and choreography to make something great. This is what Disney World was built off of. It’s a damn shame they don’t have a dancing fountain to accompany it, I hope if they still build the new one that they do a show with both.

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
I'll also add: I think they did a nice job on the castle, with the rose gold, 50th touches. It looks how it should look, in my opinion. Not gaudy (looking at you, 25th anniversary castle cake!). Classy. This is apart from the "beacons of magic" nighttime effect.

Moka

SSE is going to be a disaster when those lights start burning out, and I feel like that will be the reason they won't use them at all after 2023. If you see what it looks like when just one of them is out, yikes. But yes, SSE is absolutely the best looking out of all of them. Stunning no doubt.

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
SSE is going to be a disaster when those lights start burning out, and I feel like that will be the reason they won't use them at all after 2023. If you see what it looks like when just one of them is out, yikes. But yes, SSE is absolutely the best looking out of all of them. Stunning no doubt.

I've thought about that. Hopefully, they'll keep them up. A light out on SSE is going to be like a dead pixel on your TV screen. All you'll see is the dead pixel / light out.

I think they should leave it and keep it up going forward. Of course, a light out on Main Street used to be a thing that you'd rarely see because they'd change the lights before they burnt out. Now? They wait until they burn out before they change them so you'll probably see a burnt out bulb - so it's probably as you say for the lights on SSE.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Let me clarify on this:

I tend to wring my hands over EPCOT, but I have to say that they nailed it with this one. It is the first thing I've seen in ages that brings back the EPCOT sense of awe that I have not felt in a long, long time. Bravo.

Cmdr_Crimson

I am impressed with the BOM's...But, did they have to use the tagine "Answer the Call"

Did they just go to Six Flags Levels? The only thing I Answer the Call to is Batman: The Ride..

DfromATX

Here's a video of the Epcot Anthem Beacon of Magic. Enjoy.

This seems like the right place to put this.

Very nice! Epcot has never been my favorite park, but I am excited to see all the new changes. I have a feeling it's going to go up on my list. MK will always be #1 though. Whenever we get to go again we might even do 2 days so we don't have to rush and we've never done that before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom