MagicBand+ announced

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought the promo for the band was pretty cool with the interactive feature inside the parks… but they lost me on that whole echo dot look alike in your room.
I don’t need Mickey invading my personal space. I wonder if it will light up red instead of blue when it’s listening?
I’m onboard with Disney listening/data mining me…cause this is what they’ll hear:

“Make OT based Star Wars”

MickeyLuv'r

I would not know if anyone ever said 'never' but I certainly recall the spiel on the tram from the parking lot to the TTC where they would say stuff like 'Disney tickets never expire' and 'Disney is open 365 days a year' so I could easily see people expected that as policy, but policies change.
Again, this is actually what I was told, not that it really matters. I even recall the specific location: the Guest Services booth at the IG, and who was with me. That was before MYW tickets.

And I chuckled at the CM who said it. He didn't like that I chuckled. From there he mansplained- er Disney-splained? to us that WDW was a premium park, etc.

Since then, well, have you ever tried to upgrade a park ticket? Go to 3 different Guest Services CM's and they will almost certainly all tell you a different price. Maybe things are different now that tickets are date specific, but somehow I doubt it. In 2019, a front gate CM even told me park tickets can't be upgraded!

I can think of many times CM's have said things to me that were flat out not true. That is a big part of why I read these forums.

Another somewhat funny example I recall was. well it was almost like Abbott and Costello's baseball bit, "Who's on First." The Contemporary's main building is called the "tower." and the lake behind CR is called, "Bay Lake." The DVC next to CR is called "Bay Lake Tower." The rooms that are located in CR's main building either face towards MK, called "theme park view" or they face towards Bay Lake. On WDW's website, rooms that face towards Bay Lake are now called either "standard view" or "lake view." But previously they were were called, "Bay Lake view." Do you see where this is going?

WDW's Club level is sometimes called club level, and sometimes called 'concierge level' even though the ground floor of CR has a 'concierge desk' that is available to every CR guest.

To matters even worse, the Contemporary also has 2 club level areas. One of CR's club levels is called the "Atrium club," even though it is located on the 12th floor. CR's other, smaller, less well-known club level is located on the 14th floor (there is no 13th floor at CR). The smaller club level is called - get this - the "Tower Club Level." The 14th floor is tiny, and is mostly large 'suites', but it has 3 rooms that are roughly standard hotel room size. Two of the rooms face Bay Lake, and 1 faces MK. All three are categorized as 'standard' view rooms.

Nowadays, most club level rooms and suites are listed on WDW's webpage, but for many years that was not the case. Previously, the only way to book CL rooms was by calling WDW, or a very knowledgeable TA.

I once had the misfortune of calling a WDW and getting a CM that didn't know any of the above. He kept trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about, and kept quoting me the price of a 1 bedroom 'suite' at "Bay Lake Tower" DVC, and that the Atrium of CR is the open lobby that extended above the monorail.

In any event, the above names all terribly overlap one another. I long thought the 14th floor of CR was an internet myth, because it initially took me quite a few calls to find a CM that knew what I was calling about whenever I attempted to call WDW for pricing. Mind, I was nearly certain staying there was out of my price range, but calling was the only way to even get pricing.

CM's are people just like everyone else. most are very nice, and do the best they can. In some cases though, if they don't know an answer to a question, they just say it can't be done or doesn't exist.

The Disney Dining Plan also had all kinds of inconsistencies depending on which CM you asked. I could give examples, but this post is already too long. I've long said WDW's polices are too complicated. I fear this new band looks nice, but I know WDW. Having two types of bands is likely to be another example of WDW being too complicated for their own staff to manage. :p

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would not know if anyone ever said 'never' but I certainly recall the spiel on the tram from the parking lot to the TTC where they would say stuff like 'Disney tickets never expire' and 'Disney is open 365 days a year' so I could easily see people expected that as policy, but policies change.
"Disney tickets never expire" and "Disney tickets will never expire" are two different statements.

CntrlFlPete

"Disney tickets never expire" and "Disney tickets will never expire" are two different statements.
yep...and 'lifetime' was meant as the age of the refillable cup, not the lifetime of the owner. I was just recalling the 70's when they made a big deal about tickets not expiring.

I feel like Disney often allows folks memories to be more true than reality. My example of this is how folks always seem to bring up Disney's customer service yet when I am in business circles, it is companies such as Chick-fil-a or Four Season that lead in customer service-- it has been at least 20 years since I've heard anyone in business talk about Disney as a customer service leader.

I took a long break from Disney visits but alas my wife and daughter are big fans. Now last weekend I had a good laugh when they finally saw something as I would. Our waitress offered the (non-alcoholic) 50th special drink they had, they mentioned how it comes in this special 50th cup -- the look on their faces (I think we all broke out laughing) when they brought a small plastic cup that is about the equivalent of a Dixie cup.

IMG_0505 (2).jpg

BlackCauldron

The Disney Dining Plan also had all kinds of inconsistencies depending on which CM you asked. I could give examples, but this post is already too long. I've long said WDW's polices are too complicated. :p

That has always been a major pet peeve of mine. I remember using it back in the the early 2000s (back when you got an app, entrée, dessert AND it covered tax an tip - what a steal!!!!) and having most servers stare at me blankly because they had no idea what I was talking about. Now that the DDP is more mainstream, CM knowledge has gotten markedly better, but some of the finer points still have inconsistencies. Like the "fine print" rule about swapping a dessert for fruit, soup, or salad. That will still get you blank stares and flat out denials most of the time.

MickeyLuv'r

That has always been a major pet peeve of mine. I remember using it back in the the early 2000s (back when you got an app, entrée, dessert AND it covered tax an tip - what a steal!!!!) and having most servers stare at me blankly because they had no idea what I was talking about. Now that the DDP is more mainstream, CM knowledge has gotten markedly better, but some of the finer points still have inconsistencies. Like the "fine print" rule about swapping a dessert for fruit, soup, or salad. That will still get you blank stares and flat out denials most of the time.
DDP also had a Quick Serve option that was called, I think, a 'continental breakfast.' It consisted of using a QS to 'pay' for 3 snack items. Some locations/CM's allowed it, but some did not allow it, which was odd because 3snacks almost always cost less than a big platter. It was always a crapshoot.

The last time I used the DDP, my magic band didn't work.

[I tried to pay for a TS meal with credits, and the CM was... flat out hostile. She accused me of theft in a very public way. It was bizarre, especially because I was immediately able to pull up my WDW vacation package confirmation email. Even after I showed her my personal ID, and the WDW package confirmation email, she still wasn't even interested. She just insisted Magic Bands ALWAYS work, and that was impossible for there to be any error.

We asked to talk to a manger, but the manager never came to our table. When our waitperson came back, she just demanded another form of payment, but then I asked her to try my companion's Magic Band, and that worked. She never apologized.

I made 3 attempts to get that band fixed at the WDW hotel that trip, but to no avail.]

Thanks to the Disney forums though, I learned how to solve the problem; the solution was to deactivate all my old Magic Bands!

Alas, I hope these new bands will work flawlessly.

Last edited:

Pirate Magic

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I thought it was some sort of screen. So it's just a partners statue silhouette. Good to know.
You mean just like WDW promised their tickets would never expire?

Or the original refillable resort mugs would be refillable forever? (You know, like the ones that say "Dixie Landings", from the time when each resort had a unique mug design.)

And what ever happened to Pal Mickey? The one that interacted around the park?

And what about all the Sorcerers of the MK cards we collected?
We had a Pal Mickey ($50.00) and it matter what park we were in it always said that we were in EPCOT. That cured me of ever buying anything like that again. We still talk about the Pal Mickey they saw me coming a mile away. I was such a sucker.

TikibirdLand

We had a Pal Mickey ($50.00) and it matter what park we were in it always said that we were in EPCOT. That cured me of ever buying anything like that again. We still talk about the Pal Mickey they saw me coming a mile away. I was such a sucker.
Us too. Ours always thought it was in MK. And, it never really had much to say. I wonder what my kids did with that thing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom