Rumor Indiana Jones to possibly reopen this holiday with changes

GladToBeHear

I want the Shanghai Pirates-style water ride that was rumored at one point. If there's room, keep the show. Just remove the movie-making aspect of it and tighten it up. And retheme the Backlot Express as some type of Indy-inspired quick serve. Pffft. Indy Land.

MrPromey

Looks like the rare instance where they've improved something, recently.

I thought the "Hawaiian Shirt" bit was great the first time I saw it back in '89-'90 but that became something that really hurt the re-watch-ability of this. In fact over the years, it began to feel worse and worse seeing this predictable "surprise" left in with no update at all...

I also never liked how some of the scenes that were supposedly showing how a movie might be made relied on obvious theme-park mechanics (things like the flipping truck) to make it something that reset.

I was really impressed by the now-gone other stunt show for the work they did to show something more realistic, there.

Anyway, sounds like they've embraced this being presented more as a live entertainment show based on a movie and dropped some of filming pretense, which to me, is something they probably should have done at least twenty years ago - especially since CG would replace a ton of the simulated practical effects they're presenting in any movie made during the lifetime of about half their audience, today - but I'll give credit where it is due to current management addressing some of this stuff to modernize the show.

Now if only Disney could pull off a modern Indy movie to give the franchise more relevence to younger audiences without butchering it.

... Hope I didn't just jinx something. :oops:

Diamond Dot

I love this show and I'm glad they no longer do the casting call as most of us knew about the 'stooge' and have updated the script. I think there should be more emphasis on what stunt artists do as they are the unsung heroes of many movies. I'm looking forward to them now updating the last part of Carousel of Progress 😜

gerarar

Premium Member
Saw this yesterday at the 1:15 showing. We did standby and were told that we will be put in standing area only, but a nice CM found us some extra space to sit us.

The temple scene was not shown due to technical difficulties. Also the propellers stopped working on the plane which I think they did a plan B and defeated the mechanic through some punching by Indiana Jones.

The one thing that did catch my eye is that there are no symbols or writing on the plane anymore. I swear there used to be something there where it's painted/blacked out.
20211223_133026.jpg

Regardless, glad to see it's back and all the cast members working on the spectacular again! It was enjoyable like before and the crowd loved it!

TikibirdLand

Saw this yesterday at the 1:15 showing. We did standby and were told that we will be put in standing area only, but a nice CM found us some extra space to sit us.

The temple scene was not shown due to technical difficulties. Also the propellers stopped working on the plane which I think they did a plan B and defeated the mechanic through some punching by Indiana Jones.

The one thing that did catch my eye is that there are no symbols or writing on the plane anymore. I swear there used to be something there where it's painted/blacked out.
View attachment 609481

Regardless, glad to see it's back and all the cast members working on the spectacular again! It was enjoyable like before and the crowd loved it!
Indeed, you're correct! Don't want to p*ss off the Nazis!

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Indeed, you're correct! Don't want to p*ss off the Nazis!

The Balkenkreuz on the tail in this image was more Luftwaffe than Nazi. Disney had already departed from historical accuracy since the Luftwaffe displayed the swastika on vertical stabilizers starting in 1936 and then exclusively after 1940. As such, removing the insignia, however well-intentioned, is inconsequential.

TikibirdLand

The Balkenkreuz on the tail in this image was more Luftwaffe than Nazi. Disney had already departed from historical accuracy since the Luftwaffe displayed the swastika on vertical stabilizers starting in 1936 and then exclusively after 1940. As such, removing the insignia, however well-intentioned, is inconsequential.
Thanks for the historical background. I think it IS consequential. Why remove markings that place the action in a time and place? The context is important to the movie -- and to the scene they're trying to re-create. Without it, why is there a warplane in the middle of the desert? Why are they trying to keep Indy and his girlfriend from escaping? The tie-in to the movie is essential to understanding what's going on in that scene. I don't understand why the markings needed to be removed. It costs more to remove them and it would to have simply left them. The question is why?

GladToBeHear

Thanks for the historical background. I think it IS consequential. Why remove markings that place the action in a time and place? The context is important to the movie -- and to the scene they're trying to re-create. Without it, why is there a warplane in the middle of the desert? Why are they trying to keep Indy and his girlfriend from escaping? The tie-in to the movie is essential to understanding what's going on in that scene. I don't understand why the markings needed to be removed. It costs more to remove them and it would to have simply left them. The question is why?
I know why.

pdude81

They already removed the swastikas though a long time ago. At this point it almost looks goofy and the movie is so old that you either know what this is about or you don't. If they were removing the logos that were in the actual movie I think there is a legitimate discussion about whether that should be done. I don't think it matters in a stunt show where there is little to no context of what is happening, but in this case they have removed a logo that's not in the film.

wutisgood

When Disney trades a show that takes up a half hour or more for a ride that you stand in line for a long time that lasts 5 minutes it is a net negative for the day on entertainment time. Rise of the Resistance is at least the right idea apart from downtime, high build cost, and capacity when Disney does want to spend a lot of money.

Disney could fix a lot of their problems with mass expansions on entertainment that would only take months to a year to build. I do think the delay in bringing back some of the mass entertainment is Disney just trying to get data on how much they can squeeze guests. But more than that I think it's the fact that Chapek is an ahole and hates paying entertainment so much that he would rather let the guest experience suffer than actually give a few $$$ to professional entertainers.

mm52200

When Disney trades a show that takes up a half hour or more for a ride that you stand in line for a long time that lasts 5 minutes it is a net negative for the day on entertainment time. Rise of the Resistance is at least the right idea apart from downtime, high build cost, and capacity when Disney does want to spend a lot of money.

Disney could fix a lot of their problems with mass expansions on entertainment that would only take months to a year to build. I do think the delay in bringing back some of the mass entertainment is Disney just trying to get data on how much they can squeeze guests. But more than that I think it's the fact that Chapek is an ahole and hates paying entertainment so much that he would rather let the guest experience suffer than actually give a few $$$ to professional entertainers.
And that’s why when you see offerings return they are or will be severely cut down.

disneygeek90

It's really time for it to go. The theme of the park is no more about making movie magic, but experiencing being "in" the movie. I'm hopeful Indy will get an actual attraction (maybe even a land?) at some point.
I don't mean for this to come off as harshly as it may sound... but do younger people even care about Indy anymore??

I just hit 31 and even when I was growing up the movies seemed old. It's also not held up like Star Wars has when it comes to new movies/series etc. Love them or hate them, the new Star Wars trilogy and complementary pieces have kept interest up and the property relevant. Indy to me just feels.... stale, old and tired.

Perhaps if the new movie in 2023 completely sky rockets, there will be some validity to adding material to the park. At this time, I think there would be better IP out there that would hold the interest of young guests more.

pdude81

I don't mean for this to come off as harshly as it may sound... but do younger people even care about Indy anymore??

I just hit 31 and even when I was growing up the movies seemed old. It's also not held up like Star Wars has when it comes to new movies/series etc. Love them or hate them, the new Star Wars trilogy and complementary pieces have kept interest up and the property relevant. Indy to me just feels.... stale, old and tired.

Perhaps if the new movie in 2023 completely sky rockets, there will be some validity to adding material to the park. At this time, I think there would be better IP out there that would hold the interest of young guests more.
Nobody cares about Bourne or Waterworld anymore either but stunts are cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom