1989 Series A Disney Dollars

Jeff4272

Original Poster
I just found 8 1989 Series A Disney dollars while cleaning out my parents house. Are these worth anything? They look brand new and are still in original envelope with the Disney seal on it.

JohnD

I just found 8 1989 Series A Disney dollars while cleaning out my parents house. Are these worth anything? They look brand new and are still in original envelope with the Disney seal on it.

I believe Disney Dollars are still "legal tender" inside Disney World (ie face value). But as collector's items, it's entirely possible they are worth more (or as much as someone might be willing to pay for them on eBay). This page on Google says a 1989 $1 dollar is worth $75.

See also: https://www.coinsandstamps.com/united_states_currency/disney_dollars.html

JIMINYCR

You cant buy Disney Dollars any longer at Disney but you can still spend them at Disney. There they would be accepted at face value. However on e-bay people will buy them as collectables and if you're looking to profit off of them, thats where youd get more. The value theyd bring depends on how much the buyer wants the bills. Of course the better shape the bills are in, the more someone would be willing to pay. And the older the bills the rarer they may be for someone to find. I'm sure theres plenty sitting in the back of peoples closets and drawers that were stored away and forgotten.

ppete1975

they were an excellent money grab. You sell them for 1, 5, 10 dollars (not sure all the amounts)
you have collectors who just want them and want to be completionists with no intention to sell ever.
you have people that buy them as cheap souvenirs for themselves and others

so you sell all of this money that will never be spent at disney, which is brilliant

the only issues being that you have to keep it on your books as unspent money since there is no expiration and it can still be spent (in theory, i could be totally wrong this is just what ive been told as far as small companies and book keeping)

Now if you have a million of those out there that were never spent that could be an issue if lets say tomorrow everyone cashed them in.

While not an issue for disney if you are a small mom and pop and you do this strategy it could hurt if you dont have the money set aside since in theory that was unspent money. That is why most gift cards and things have an expiration, so that there isnt unspent money that could hit you at anytime.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
they were an excellent money grab. You sell them for 1, 5, 10 dollars (not sure all the amounts)
you have collectors who just want them and want to be completionists with no intention to sell ever.
you have people that buy them as cheap souvenirs for themselves and others

so you sell all of this money that will never be spent at disney, which is brilliant

the only issues being that you have to keep it on your books as unspent money since there is no expiration and it can still be spent (in theory, i could be totally wrong this is just what ive been told as far as small companies and book keeping)

Now if you have a million of those out there that were never spent that could be an issue if lets say tomorrow everyone cashed them in.

While not an issue for disney if you are a small mom and pop and you do this strategy it could hurt if you dont have the money set aside since in theory that was unspent money. That is why most gift cards and things have an expiration, so that there isnt unspent money that could hit you at anytime.
I dont know the exact number but im willing to bet less than 50% of gift cards get redeemed

I also know that a lot of states have made it illegal to have a gift card expire

ppete1975

I dont know the exact number but im willing to bet less than 50% of gift cards get redeemed

I also know that a lot of states have made it illegal to have a gift card expire
lots of gift cards get lost in the mail or accidently thrown away or put in a drawer never to be use, i am sure several of us have found a gift card we forgot we had.

While they are a great way for a company to make money there is the downside of keeping the credit open (while not knowing if it ever will be)

spock8113

Not to rain on your "Electric Light Parade" but much of what people keep under the idea the collectible is worth money, usually isn't:

Here a just a few I've saved that only have value to me.

Attachments

• TicketBook (1).jpg
    TicketBook (1).jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 53
  • TicketBook (2).jpg
    TicketBook (2).jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 59
  • TicketBook (3).jpg
    TicketBook (3).jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 39
  • TicketBook (4).jpg
    TicketBook (4).jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 35
  • TicketBook (5).jpg
    TicketBook (5).jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 57
  • TicketBook (6).jpg
    TicketBook (6).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 37
  • TicketBook(0).jpg
    TicketBook(0).jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 37
  • TicketBook.jpg
    TicketBook.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1987Dis03-87.jpg
    1987Dis03-87.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1987Dis03-87B.jpg
    1987Dis03-87B.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 62

spock8113

A few more I've saved that have NO value:

Attachments

• 1989Dis02-89a.jpg
    1989Dis02-89a.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1989Dis04-89a.jpg
    1989Dis04-89a.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1992Dis04-92a.jpg
    1992Dis04-92a.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 51
  • 1994Dis04-94a.jpg
    1994Dis04-94a.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 36
  • 1996DisLnd07-96b.jpg
    1996DisLnd07-96b.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1996DisLnd07-96e.jpg
    1996DisLnd07-96e.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 2000Dis04-00a.jpg
    2000Dis04-00a.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2001Dis07-01a.jpg
    2001Dis07-01a.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2002DQ01.jpg
    2002DQ01.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 27
  • 2001Millionaire07-01.jpg
    2001Millionaire07-01.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 46

ppete1975

Not to rain on your "Electric Light Parade" but much of what people keep under the idea the collectible is worth money, usually isn't:

anything sold as a collectible usually isnt, its the stuff pre collecting thats valuable

Jeff4272

Original Poster

Yeah my dollars arent like that stuff, they are worth money

JIMINYCR

A few more I've saved that have NO value:
They may have no value in your mind but there’s value in them when someone on e-Bay sees them and is willing to pay to get them. So you can’t say there’s no value in them. For anything there can possibly be some value. Certainly the amount of value might not be as much as the collector thinks there is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom