Could Genie+ changed?

Javier Antonio Nisa Avila

Original Poster
Disneyland Paris has reduced prices of Fastpass Premium Access. Do you think Bob and his friend could do the same at Disneyland and Disney World?

From my view, they have not sold all the fastpass which they wanted. Well, if you have any idea, it is very welcome. Maybe, we have hope

Graham9

I'm finding it difficult to rationalise what the business model is here. It seems to be aimed at the short-term high profit gain, whilst alienating their own long-term customer base. Reading a lot of responses to this Genie it appears to be virtually all negative, which isn't at all surprising. But it's not just the Genie app, it's also having to pay a premium on top of the app for some Lightening Lane rides as well as the removal of free parking, the ending of the Magical Express and the cropping down of Magic Hours for Disney Guests, that's before we throw in increased of turnstile prices and staying at resorts - of which there is no reason to stay there anymore.

A lot of people used to come to WDW almost religiously. For them, there is no place like any other. People come from all over the world to visit and stay at WDW, and have done repeatedly for years, if not decades. Surely, it's from them where the long term profits come from. But what has happened? Disney now appears to have priced themselves out of people's reach. It is no longer viable to come to WDW. Throwing in all the price rises, app and premium costs has made coming to the World outside their price range. All this extra people are being forced to pay is pushing people away to other places.

We were planning to come back to the world after a few years absence and looked forward to coming, right up until I saw that video of that very nice person trying to tell me I have to drag my phone around the park with me (which I don't want to) because an "old favourite" of Fastpass is being retired and for that, Mickey Mouse is going to shake out the contents of my wallet for me. This app is not a cheap minor add-on, it's going to add a considerable percentage to the whole vacation. Doing some totting up, to come to WDW as we always have done is going to cost us $3,600 on top of what we would normally pay (That is, app, parking, resort and tickets). And what are we going to get for this $3,600? We would be simply paying for everything which used to be free, but nothing which would add to our vacation. $3,600 is easily the cost of a vacation at another destination and it's far beyond acceptable. "We" could afford the extra, but we won't on pay it on principle and I can fully understand the reaction of those who want to come to WDW but can no longer afford it - because of a stupid app.

Of course, then there are the practicalities of using this stupid app, apart from helping Disney to empty my bank balance. Yes, you don't need to have it, but with the extortionate pricing of it, how many guests are going to resort to using the Standby lines? I expect line wait times to explode to maybe three or four hours long to save their $15/day/person. In other words, your time in the parks will be reduced to a few rides if you can't stump up the $. There again, if all the Lighting Lanes reservations go live at 7:00am, they will probably be taken long before the park actually opens. So you could turn up at the ticket office, buy your app and find there is nothing to pick from because everyone else has taken everything before you even showed up. And how many people actually want to drag a mobile phone around the park all day? I don't. Nor do I want to have my day regimented and be told where I have to go and when. I also don't want Disney tracking where I go and what I do.

Someone really needs to sit down and think very carefully about this and what they are doing to their customer base. If Disney wants to recoup after Covid, then incentivise people to come, NOT put them off. A full park will make money. An empty one won't.

StarshipDisney

I'm finding it difficult to rationalise what the business model is here. It seems to be aimed at the short-term high profit gain, whilst alienating their own long-term customer base. Reading a lot of responses to this Genie it appears to be virtually all negative, which isn't at all surprising. But it's not just the Genie app, it's also having to pay a premium on top of the app for some Lightening Lane rides as well as the removal of free parking, the ending of the Magical Express and the cropping down of Magic Hours for Disney Guests, that's before we throw in increased of turnstile prices and staying at resorts - of which there is no reason to stay there anymore.

A lot of people used to come to WDW almost religiously. For them, there is no place like any other. People come from all over the world to visit and stay at WDW, and have done repeatedly for years, if not decades. Surely, it's from them where the long term profits come from. But what has happened? Disney now appears to have priced themselves out of people's reach. It is no longer viable to come to WDW. Throwing in all the price rises, app and premium costs has made coming to the World outside their price range. All this extra people are being forced to pay is pushing people away to other places.

We were planning to come back to the world after a few years absence and looked forward to coming, right up until I saw that video of that very nice person trying to tell me I have to drag my phone around the park with me (which I don't want to) because an "old favourite" of Fastpass is being retired and for that, Mickey Mouse is going to shake out the contents of my wallet for me. This app is not a cheap minor add-on, it's going to add a considerable percentage to the whole vacation. Doing some totting up, to come to WDW as we always have done is going to cost us $3,600 on top of what we would normally pay (That is, app, parking, resort and tickets). And what are we going to get for this $3,600? We would be simply paying for everything which used to be free, but nothing which would add to our vacation. $3,600 is easily the cost of a vacation at another destination and it's far beyond acceptable. "We" could afford the extra, but we won't on pay it on principle and I can fully understand the reaction of those who want to come to WDW but can no longer afford it - because of a stupid app.

Of course, then there are the practicalities of using this stupid app, apart from helping Disney to empty my bank balance. Yes, you don't need to have it, but with the extortionate pricing of it, how many guests are going to resort to using the Standby lines? I expect line wait times to explode to maybe three or four hours long to save their $15/day/person. In other words, your time in the parks will be reduced to a few rides if you can't stump up the $. There again, if all the Lighting Lanes reservations go live at 7:00am, they will probably be taken long before the park actually opens. So you could turn up at the ticket office, buy your app and find there is nothing to pick from because everyone else has taken everything before you even showed up. And how many people actually want to drag a mobile phone around the park all day? I don't. Nor do I want to have my day regimented and be told where I have to go and when. I also don't want Disney tracking where I go and what I do.

Someone really needs to sit down and think very carefully about this and what they are doing to their customer base. If Disney wants to recoup after Covid, then incentivise people to come, NOT put them off. A full park will make money. An empty one won't.

Hear! Hear!! Well said.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

How many years is a few?
You act like you didn't have to use your phone prior to Genie+ but in reality you've needed your phone since the introduction of MDE/FP+... So since what late 2013/early 2014...

My family has been going since the mid 70's and we still go and will still go so they are not deterring us pricing us out. Is it more costly than it used to be? Heck yeah but its opportunity costs. I will give up something to go to Disney.
You seem to think the majority of their visitors are frequents but actually many people only go every few years or maybe even only once or twice in their lifetime.
Its those people that Disney knows they can make a TON of money off of.

When you think of things from a business perspective... which Disney is... a BUSINESS adding optional upcharges is profitable.
Disney may have invented the fastpass lane but other companies have copy/pasted with one big difference.... they monetized it from the get go.
Also I find it weird that so many are fired up about this yet when they created maxpass at DLR it wasn't as controversial. Almost seems more like a "not in my back yard" mindset.

DfromATX

Share your complaints with guest services! It's a long shot but maybe if enough people complain we will start to see changes for the better (like getting rid of Chapek 😜)

I wrote them an old fashioned letter! I was respectful, but I explained how I felt about all the recent decisions. I got a standard email reply, but at least I know someone read it. Maybe if everyone would do the same they would consider changing some of these horrible new policies.

DfromATX

How many years is a few?
You act like you didn't have to use your phone prior to Genie+ but in reality you've needed your phone since the introduction of MDE/FP+... So since what late 2013/early 2014...

My family has been going since the mid 70's and we still go and will still go so they are not deterring us pricing us out. Is it more costly than it used to be? Heck yeah but its opportunity costs. I will give up something to go to Disney.
You seem to think the majority of their visitors are frequents but actually many people only go every few years or maybe even only once or twice in their lifetime.

When you think of things from a business perspective... which Disney is... a BUSINESS adding optional upcharges is profitable.
Disney may have invented the fastpass lane but other companies have copy/pasted with one big difference.... they monetized it from the get go.
Also I find it weird that so many are fired up about this yet when they created maxpass at DLR it wasn't as controversial. Almost seems more like a "not in my back yard" mindset.

What bothers me is that before all these recent changes, it's what set Disney apart from the other amusement parks. Now not so much. Magic Express was an awesome perk (and yes, I know it wasn't always around). Free fast passes also an awesome perk. I don't care what Universal or even Disneyland does. Disney World is "my" park, my "back yard" I guess. I love Disney so much, I'm more hurt than anything lol. It's like when a loved one disappoints you.

Graham9

How many years is a few?

I use my phone all the time. It's part of my business and profession. Hence it's nice to get rid of it and not have anything to do with it whilst I'm out enjoying myself. I don't want to have to depend on it in order to have a park experience or have it try to tell me where to go and what to do - and pay for the privilege for having it. I am more than capable of planning my own days in the park without some system trying to do it for me.

Is there a use for this technology in this day and age? Quite possibly. How about replacing free fast pass tickets with phone scanners at the attraction so you get a virtual ticket instead of a piece of paper and do away with the advance booking of passes. That way everyone gets a chance of the ride, exactly as it used to be. Thereby giving people the option of using it instead of mandating it. Thus it then becomes a 'minor change' which is palatable. You want a payable app to sell? Then give people an app which will do the augmented reality thing which I'm sure kids enjoy and throw in fun "treasure hunt" games and puzzles and stuff like that. In other words, you are giving people something for their money and not taking something away. Whatever, the need is to sell WDW apps, this Genie is not the way to go about it.

Whilst you seem agreeable to throw your money at Disney regardless, a lot of people don't have the money to throw away like you. This app and all the other charges have turned a potential trip to an unaffordable one. There is currently a pandemic and a lot of people have been denied a vacation and/or have suffered financial hardship as a result and are dipping into savings just to be able to come to Disney - at least until they watch a wonderful video and watch all their pixiedust disappear because it suddenly appears that the cost of Disney has skyrocketed and the magical experience they once had has suddenly become a non-magical one because of an ill-conceived brainstorm from a bunch of idiots who think everyone wants to use a phone and are willing to pay through the nose to use it. So the dreams of coming to Disney, possibly to relive the magical experiences they used to have, has now been snatched away by apparent greed. Of course people are going to be upset and angry about it.

As for the business perspective - I really don't care about other parks. They have their own business plans and ideas. However, car parking and Fastpass was and should be marketed as a unique selling point for Disney and in the right hands, is a powerful tool to pull in customers - not turn them away. When I stayed at their resorts, I used to feel I was being treated as 'special' and not as a walking bank balance Disney wants to help themselves to. I can tolerate price rises due to inflation, but not this nothing short of 'technological blackmail' which is being foisted on people.

So at the moment we are planning our trip back to Orlando (Note the lack of the use of "Disney) and I see that Universal resorts are highly competitive with the Disney resorts I used to know and love and it's to them where our current plans lie. Should we set foot on WDW, we certainly won't be paying for any apps to get around the parks. The wonderful place that was Disney, the resorts and the parks which we used to enjoy coming to time again have been swallowed by extortionate useless software based on thoughtless and ill conceived idea that everyone is loaded with money and more than happy to throw it at them. Sorry, I'm not playing that game.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I use my phone all the time. It's part of my business and profession. Hence it's nice to get rid of it and not have anything to do with it whilst I'm out enjoying myself. I don't want to have to depend on it in order to have a park experience or have it try to tell me where to go and what to do - and pay for the privilege for having it. I am more than capable of planning my own days in the park without some system trying to do it for me.

Is there a use for this technology in this day and age? Quite possibly. How about replacing free fast pass tickets with phone scanners at the attraction so you get a virtual ticket instead of a piece of paper and do away with the advance booking of passes. That way everyone gets a chance of the ride, exactly as it used to be. Thereby giving people the option of using it instead of mandating it. Thus it then becomes a 'minor change' which is palatable. You want a payable app to sell? Then give people an app which will do the augmented reality thing which I'm sure kids enjoy and throw in fun "treasure hunt" games and puzzles and stuff like that. In other words, you are giving people something for their money and not taking something away. Whatever, the need is to sell WDW apps, this Genie is not the way to go about it.

Whilst you seem agreeable to throw your money at Disney regardless, a lot of people don't have the money to throw away like you. This app and all the other charges have turned a potential trip to an unaffordable one. There is currently a pandemic and a lot of people have been denied a vacation and/or have suffered financial hardship as a result and are dipping into savings just to be able to come to Disney - at least until they watch a wonderful video and watch all their pixiedust disappear because it suddenly appears that the cost of Disney has skyrocketed and the magical experience they once had has suddenly become a non-magical one because of an ill-conceived brainstorm from a bunch of idiots who think everyone wants to use a phone and are willing to pay through the nose to use it. So the dreams of coming to Disney, possibly to relive the magical experiences they used to have, has now been snatched away by apparent greed. Of course people are going to be upset and angry about it.

As for the business perspective - I really don't care about other parks. They have their own business plans and ideas. However, car parking and Fastpass was and should be marketed as a unique selling point for Disney and in the right hands, is a powerful tool to pull in customers - not turn them away. When I stayed at their resorts, I used to feel I was being treated as 'special' and not as a walking bank balance Disney wants to help themselves to. I can tolerate price rises due to inflation, but not this nothing short of 'technological blackmail' which is being foisted on people.

So at the moment we are planning our trip back to Orlando (Note the lack of the use of "Disney) and I see that Universal resorts are highly competitive with the Disney resorts I used to know and love and it's to them where our current plans lie. Should we set foot on WDW, we certainly won't be paying for any apps to get around the parks. The wonderful place that was Disney, the resorts and the parks which we used to enjoy coming to time again have been swallowed by extortionate useless software based on thoughtless and ill conceived idea that everyone is loaded with money and more than happy to throw it at them. Sorry, I'm not playing that game.

Its like you didn't even read my post.

Its clear you have not been since FP+ as you seem to think that prior to Genie there were paper fastpasses and no need for your phone...
Sorry but that system has been dead for YEARS and was not going to come back.

There are free aspects of Genie...
And I think you've been in the pandemic too long using the word mandate.
You do not have to buy anything. You could just walk up and wait in a queue for every attraction besides one.
And no Disney is no forcing it on everyone. They don't even want everyone to buy it. There needs to be a balance of those who do and wait in the LL and those who don't and wait in the SB.

Love how you assume I have money to throw away especially when I specifically said there's opportunity costs involved.

Anymore I don't think you can go to many theme parks and leave your phone behind.
Universal has virtual queues etc as well.

You certainly proved my point that your mentality is "not in my backyard" as you said you don't care what the other parks do only WDW.

I do always suggest if you no longer enjoy going somewhere that you find somewhere new so good on you for actually speaking with your wallet and opting out of Disney.

Last edited:

John park hopper

Disney has NEVER cared about the loyal repeat customer otherwise they would offer discounts/perks for repeat, loyal guests like many other companies do. IMO Disney is more interested in maximizing profits from the one and done guest rather than cultivate the loyal guest. I hope it comes to bite them in the butt one day.

Last edited:

Muffinpants

The paper fast passes have been gone a very long time and for a very good reason. You had to get up and rope drop than RUN to the rides you wanted. People had routs to take and kids made to dash. You would run to one hope you were fast enough get a few passes for your family while other members were at the other stations doing the same. You would really rather have to run around to get a fp all day than just use your phone?

I don't understand folks hating the phone aspect of life right now. It's here to stay. They make things easier for company's to roll out. Almost everyone has one. And folks who can't afford one they don't want you in the park anyway.

JIMINYCR

The paper fast passes have been gone a very long time and for a very good reason. You had to get up and rope drop than RUN to the rides you wanted. People had routs to take and kids made to dash. You would run to one hope you were fast enough get a few passes for your family while other members were at the other stations doing the same. You would really rather have to run around to get a fp all day than just use your phone?

I don't understand folks hating the phone aspect of life right now. It's here to stay. They make things easier for company's to roll out. Almost everyone has one. And folks who can't afford one they don't want you in the park anyway.
And dont forget those people who would run up to the FP kiosk with their entire groups cards in their hands collecting the FP. It wasnt bad for a family getting several tickets but when you had entire tour groups being collected, covering several kiosks, you didnt have a chance getting in.

JIMINYCR

Disneyland Paris has reduced prices of Fastpass Premium Access. Do you think Bob and his friend could do the same at Disneyland and Disney World?

From my view, they have not sold all the fastpass which they wanted. Well, if you have any idea, it is very welcome. Maybe, we have hope
Too soon to tell. It hasnt been through the more buzy season or holidays yet in our parks to tell how the sales will be. If it continues being even remotely profitable, as they have mentioned its being already, they will tweak the program even more to offer more options to increase the attraction and cost of it. I'd count on it staying in place with no price reduction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom