Anyone else having trouble with Visitors Toll Pass app from Central Fla Expressway Authority?

ArmoredRodent

Original Poster
Visitor Toll Pass seems like a very good idea (if you're not a rental car company); it is offered by the Central Florida Expressway Authority for visitors renting cars at MCO. I'm tired of paying rental companies' fees that charge a daily service fee for the duration of your trip, and then you get hit with the highest toll charges. VTP says it charges no fee and provides the lowest toll charges. Sounded good to me.

The VTP program gives you a hangtag that can be read by all the major tollways in Central Florida so you can use any lane on the tollways, including Express. To start, you are supposed to register with the CFEA on the VTP app. After reading the FAQ on https://visitortollpass.com/, I downloaded the app and tried to register. System told me I was already registered (which I don't think I am, though I have paid tolls in the past by mail and through rental companies), and then froze. It appears from comments that the program is having trouble registering people.

Any thoughts on whether this is a work-in-progress or something that actually might work? Maybe they're getting more hits than they anticipated with the 50th coming up in less than a month?

GuyFawkes

I was in Orlando last week and just ran through any toll I hit because there was no way to actually pay someone. They take a picture, we will see if I got a bill?

RoadiJeff

I used Visitor Toll Pass several times in previous years. It was a great program and no hidden fees. At the time, they said it was just a temporary program but I guess it became popular enough that they decided to make it permanent. I haven't tried it lately, so I cannot say if they're having problems with something right now.

JIMINYCR

I was in Orlando last week and just ran through any toll I hit because there was no way to actually pay someone. They take a picture, we will see if I got a bill?
Oh yeah you can count on getting a bill. They wont let you off without paying what they are due. A friend of mine has a teenage son who ran through multiple tolls out of state and when the bills mailed out he ignored paying, thinking they couldnt touch him being out of state. When he went to renew his license there was the toll fees and a fine to pay. States have a reciprocity agreement regarding toll violations where your home state will enforce collections.
Car Rentals will upcharge you with a high fee on top of what the tolls are, and these fees can be very excessive.
Now that all FL toll roads take EZ-Pass, I’ll just bring my tag with me from NJ
We take ours on our trips down from Maine which makes it very convenient and the amount of time it saves not having to pull through toll booths stalled behind a line of cars waiting to pay each time is great. Just cruise through and its taken cared of. Its also convenient to get the bill later on listing each toll so you can know the total costs of driving down to WDW.

Smiley/OCD

Oh yeah you can count on getting a bill. They wont let you off without paying what they are due. A friend of mine has a teenage son who ran through multiple tolls out of state and when the bills mailed out he ignored paying, thinking they couldnt touch him being out of state. When he went to renew his license there was the toll fees and a fine to pay. States have a reciprocity agreement regarding toll violations where your home state will enforce collections.
Car Rentals will upcharge you with a high fee on top of what the tolls are, and these fees can be very excessive.

We take ours on our trips down from Maine which makes it very convenient and the amount of time it saves not having to pull through toll booths stalled behind a line of cars waiting to pay each time is great. Just cruise through and its taken cared of. Its also convenient to get the bill later on listing each toll so you can know the total costs of driving down to WDW.
My DD & I just drove from NJ to CA for her school…straight out Rt. 80…the last toll was outside Chicago…everything else was E-Z Pass…it was a pleasure

MickeyLuv'r

I can't answer your question, but if you're traveling from MCO to US or WDW, bypassing the tolls between them is easy. When setting your maps app, find the option for avoiding tolls.

From MCO take Jeff Furqua Blvd to L of Frontage Rd. that continues to McCoy Rd. Take a left onto S Conway for .2 miles then back onto McCoy Rd. McCoy Rd becomes W Sand Lake Rd. Take W Sand Lake Rd to I-4 E. If you're headed to Universal, the rest of the way is the same. Taking W Sand Lake adds about 10 min.

From I-4 you can also get to WDW. The above route adds about 20 min if going to WDW, but there are multiple non-toll ways to travel between MCO- WDW, and the fastest route depends on the traffic at the time you're driving.

MickeyLuv'r

I can't speak to other companies, but the Enterprise fee is $3.95/day for each day you incur tolls, up to $19.95 per rental. If you prepay, you're charged the $3.95/day (up to $19.95) for each day of your rental, but if you do NOT prepay, you are only charged the fee for each day you actually drive on toll roads.

RoadiJeff

I can't speak to other companies, but the Enterprise fee is $3.95/day for each day you incur tolls, up to $19.95 per rental. If you prepay, you're charged the $3.95/day (up to $19.95) for each day of your rental, but if you do NOT prepay, you are only charged the fee for each day you actually drive on toll roads.
That sounds like a decent deal for the tolls. Many other rental companies charge for the daily use of their transponder, regardless of whether you drive past a toll booth that day or not.

However, Enterprise is not the cheapest car rental agency among the known names. I just checked and compared their price for 8 days on an economy car with Budget. Including taxes and fees, Enterprise was a bit over $65 higher total cost.

MickeyLuv'r

That sounds like a decent deal for the tolls. Many other rental companies charge for the daily use of their transponder, regardless of whether you drive past a toll booth that day or not.

However, Enterprise is not the cheapest car rental agency among the known names. I just checked and compared their price for 8 days on an economy car with Budget. Including taxes and fees, Enterprise was a bit over $65 higher total cost.
It was mostly just an example.

Sometimes cheaper up front though isn't cheaper in the end when it comes to car rental companies. High fees for toll roads and other questionable charges are one way car rental companies can be scammy, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom