Entertainment News

Dear Prudence

I agree the costumes need work. The actual performance was top notch, they sound really good.
Costumes need some work, but they all sound amazing. It nice to see a couple of familiar faces in there, too. Also, realistically, these are MUCH easier to move around and sing in (TRUST me, there is a reason Shakespeare and opera are moving away from "traditional" period costumes, and it's not just the relevance factor.

Dear Prudence

Also, these costumes were used by VOL last January in the 30th Anniversary of Disney Vacation Club. The ones that they had used for that video looked much nicer and better cut (especially the dresses), so here's hoping they revert back to those.

UNCgolf

What, Moon River isn't an American classic? I hear the kids love it! Olivia Rodrigo will be singing it at the next Disney gala!!

Well, yes, some of the old Americana songs I was taught in grade school are indeed problematic because the original lyrics were just out and out racist, like Swanee River and O Susanna. (Someone needs to tell the 4th of July fireworks at MK about that.) Oopsie.

Wait, what are the racist lyrics in O Susanna? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think there's anything racist in that song.

EDIT: Ah, the line about chiggers was originally different and much worse. That makes sense and should have been obvious.

If they want to do Stephen Foster, they should sing Hard Times Come Again No More.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They already cut the “penny” speech from “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” after a guest wrote a letter complaining about the “in God we trust“ portion. It only takes one person to complain for Disney to cancel something.
It should have been cut for its treacly nonsense.

And finally that phrase, in God We Trust. It would tell them we had moral law. Would tell them we had grown strong and mighty under Gods great hand. And then considering the penny, he would wonder, why did they ever go astray.

So, we had God's protection until somehow we didn't and faded out of history? Go ahead and mention God, that's fine. Sing God Bless America. But don't bore me with sentimental sap that crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.

I remember listening to that. I went blind from my eyes rolling so much. I'm here to hear singing, not this half-baked essay.

TrainsOfDisney

It should have been cut for its treacly nonsense.

And finally that phrase, in God We Trust. It would tell them we had moral law. Would tell them we had grown strong and mighty under Gods great hand. And then considering the penny, he would wonder, why did they ever go astray.

So, we had God's protection until somehow we didn't and faded out of history? Go ahead and mention God, that's fine. Sing God Bless America. But don't bore me with sentimental sap that crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.

I remember listening to that. I went blind from my eyes rolling so much. I'm here to hear singing, not this half-baked essay.
I’m guessing you’re not a fan of the candlelight processional?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
They already cut the “penny” speech from “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” after a guest wrote a letter complaining about the “in God we trust“ portion. It only takes one person to complain for Disney to cancel something.

I don’t know why they cut that part, but it seems odd to imply it’s because it mentions God, considering they still sing God Bless America. They also just finished performing a month long religious show that mentions God numerous times.

natatomic

I don’t know why they cut that part, but it seems odd to imply it’s because it mentions God, considering they still sing God Bless America. They also just finished performing a month long religious show that mentions God numerous times.
My theory is that it was guest who only ever heard VoL sing for that one show, and that was the only song in that particular set that mentioned God. I really have no idea though, but that’s the only thing I can think of that makes sense. I just don’t think they were regulars who were intimately familiar with their song list. 🤷🏻‍♀️

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m guessing you’re not a fan of the candlelight processional?

You have indeed missed the point.

Go ahead and mention God, that's fine. Sing God Bless America.

I love the CP. Saw it three times this past December. And I stand for the Hallelujah Chorus like any person born of Western Civilization should!!

Prototype82

Coming from someone who can't stand IP in EPCOT... I LOVE that "Almost There" number!!! I hope the traditional costumes come back for a special occasion or the fourth though! They were too rich. :( Is Battle Hymn of the Republic in any of the new shows? Anyone who knows me on these forums knows that I hate change - but when a show is as long-running as this, change can be great! I'm okay with things getting a little modern as long as its patriotic and keeps some of the historic songs! Shenandoah always brings a tear to my eye. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom