News Walt Disney World increases hiring bonuses as high as $1500 and Job Fair at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

ImperfectPixie

As one of my former custodial cast member coworkers used to say, it depends on the type of pixie dust.

Honestly the sad part is people who have been with the company for 10+ years have seen their pay raises essentially disappear as the minimum wage has risen. It's kind of hard to stay loyal when someone brand new is making the same wage as someone with 10 years of seniority. This isn't to say WDW shouldn't pay a living wage but that long term cast with years of seniority should be making much more than the base rate. Unfortunately this is an on going issue in many fields, not just at WDW. Everything from Teachers to EMT's are seeing their loyalty and past pay raises disappear as the minimum wage rises which is making people rethink their careers.
Large employers often won't do what they should unless forced. Mandatory cost of living increases would be on my to-do list.

matt9112

Large employers often won't do what they should unless forced. Mandatory cost of living increases would be on my to-do list.

Just increase wages across board when your bumping the floor. If you decide as a company to go from 12 to 15 for example the people making 16 or 17 should get that too. Your essentially devaluing these individuals. A cost of living increase each year might prevent these situations. But likely wouldn't cover big jumps.

Lilofan

As one of my former custodial cast member coworkers used to say, it depends on the type of pixie dust.

Honestly the sad part is people who have been with the company for 10+ years have seen their pay raises essentially disappear as the minimum wage has risen. It's kind of hard to stay loyal when someone brand new is making the same wage as someone with 10 years of seniority. This isn't to say WDW shouldn't pay a living wage but that long term cast with years of seniority should be making much more than the base rate. Unfortunately this is an on going issue in many fields, not just at WDW. Everything from Teachers to EMT's are seeing their loyalty and past pay raises disappear as the minimum wage rises which is making people rethink their careers.
A new CM making the same wage as a 10 year CM? That's not true.

Walt d

I worked at WDW in 04-05 and 09-13. I loved it and was sad when I left the area and couldn't remain seasonal because I was in transportation.

You must not remember or know what it's like to have 365 day access to the parks PERIOD. The only time you were ever at risk of not getting in was a phased closing.
Or when you could go to any sit down restaurant and get 20% without blackouts or advanced "cast member reservations"
Or when CM previews for attractions was standard practice.
Or when maingate tickets were only blocked out at the busiest time of the year(Christmas, Thanksgiving weekend, and a couple days of spring break) and you knew it at the beginning of the year so you could actually plan when family and friends could visit.

You may not feel like you're treated like dirt but clearly the rest of Orlando doesn't share your sentiments.

We can argue all day long about their strategy as it relates to pricing for APs and such, but there's zero excuse for the way they've pulled benefits from the very people who are responsible for make sure people keep drinking their kool aid and it's about time they realize if they don't take care of their people, the numbers will reflect it, and they aren't gonna like it.
As you no the cast members are the backbone of the company. I constantly see cm going above and beyond their jobs. And you all really run the Company. With every thing that you do, helping guests telling them the same thing all day long we no you get Tired. And its hot. Yet you go on. Stage and give a 110 percent…! And corporate does not see you. I thank you for your tireless work. For making some Childs first visit the start of there never ending visit till they come back with there kids. And it all starts again! Im a share holder. And i do see you working hard..

Lilofan

As you no the cast members are the backbone of the company. I constantly see cm going above and beyond their jobs. And you all really run the Company. With every thing that you do, helping guests telling them the same thing all day long we no you get Tired. And its hot. Yet you go on. Stage and give a 110 percent…! And corporate does not see you. I thank you for your tireless work. For making some Childs first visit the start of there never ending visit till they come back with there kids. And it all starts again! Im a share holder. And i do see you working hard..
I've seen fellow guests and cast members off the clock ( some wear their IDs ) pick up trash off the WDW streets at times. Now that is not what you see in other places often!

cranbiz

Not accurate. It takes about 2 months to fully train Disney bus drivers. They could have hired their quota already and waiting for training to finish.
Trust me, I know how long it takes to train a bus driver at WDW. 2 months is the minimum to get a driver to the point that one can train at a hub. And then there are 5 hubs to train at before a driver is fully qualified for anything on site.

It's 6 months minimum for a fully qualified driver.

BTW, My post was supposed to be sarcastic 😗

roecoldlis

I worked at WDW in 04-05 and 09-13. I loved it and was sad when I left the area and couldn't remain seasonal because I was in transportation.

You must not remember or know what it's like to have 365 day access to the parks PERIOD. The only time you were ever at risk of not getting in was a phased closing.
Or when you could go to any sit down restaurant and get 20% without blackouts or advanced "cast member reservations"
Or when CM previews for attractions was standard practice.
Or when maingate tickets were only blocked out at the busiest time of the year(Christmas, Thanksgiving weekend, and a couple days of spring break) and you knew it at the beginning of the year so you could actually plan when family and friends could visit.

You may not feel like you're treated like dirt but clearly the rest of Orlando doesn't share your sentiments.

We can argue all day long about their strategy as it relates to pricing for APs and such, but there's zero excuse for the way they've pulled benefits from the very people who are responsible for make sure people keep drinking their kool aid and it's about time they realize if they don't take care of their people, the numbers will reflect it, and they aren't gonna like it.
You are totally correct!

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Things change, and yah Covid really restricted our passes for a while. But the last couple months it’s settled down and I’ve been able to get into any park I’ve wanted, use my dining discounts, enjoyed my free stay at grand Floridian, got my preview of rat etc etc. The Dunkin down the road from me has been trying to hire for months with none of those perks and $5 less an hour. So Disney’s lack of applicants isn’t because people might be blocked out of magic kingdom one day, and isn’t an issue unique to them. Better hourly rates and benefits(even though theyre already mostly better than the surrounding area) is what could be improved. I think a lot of people would be surprised by the amount of cast who don’t care/have never used their park passes.
yeah people view it as "just another job" because they have failed at keeping the culture alive through their poor decisions related to CMs over the years. It's so sad, I got to drink around the world at EPCOT with Bob Gurr, I spent an entire day at sea picking his brain, and yet I know there are so many who wouldn't even care that they could talk to the last living original Disney Imaginear hired by Walt because the culture is so lost on the majority of CMs.

This may be an industry wide problem, but Disney USED to be above the industry because of who they are, the care they showed, and the culture they fostered. That has all been chipped away at over the years in favor of the stockholders and now they pay the price.

Try booking a reservation for 90 days out. They are only interested in having a CM in the park when they're sure they've squeezed every last paid ticket out of the day. THEN CMs are good enough to be let in. It's downright pathetic.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Another job fair announced, happening in late October -

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Didn't Disney announce they were cutting staff hours to save money recently. Guess you will need that sign on bonus when they cut your hours
Certain staff are deemed more critical than the postings above. The shortage is in the housekeeping/kitchen and transportation sectors.

Vegas Disney Fan

Honestly the sad part is people who have been with the company for 10+ years have seen their pay raises essentially disappear as the minimum wage has risen. It's kind of hard to stay loyal when someone brand new is making the same wage as someone with 10 years of seniority.

We have the same issue here in Vegas, I’ve been with my company nearly 20 years and I make the same hourly as the kid they promoted last week. It’s frustrating but at least pay rates are going up.

Another job fair announced, happening in late October -

Those pay scales are on par with union wages here in Vegas, pretty impressive for “unskilled” labor. Makes Florida a more attractive destination knowing I could sell my house here, use the profit to buy one with a low mortgage there, and still survive on a dishwasher wage if I had to.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those pay scales are on par with union wages here in Vegas, pretty impressive for “unskilled” labor. Makes Florida a more attractive destination knowing I could sell my house here, use the profit to buy one with a low mortgage there, and still survive on a dishwasher wage if I had to.
I didn’t know Vegas was synonymous with “fortune crushing” powerful labor unions?

Also…why do you think things are so cheap in Florida?

cheap quality? - yes
Cheap cost of living? - see above answer

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very true but man will that be an awesome weekend!
1639069423905.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Very true but man will that be an awesome weekend!

We used to joke about flying to Vegas on profit sharing day and putting it all on black at a roulette wheel. 😂 We'd either fly home that day with no less money than we had the day before, or come back with a huge wad of 100's in our pockets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom