And the winner of WDWs worst advertising idea goes to

BHF

Original Poster
I usually enjoy WDW commercial advertising, from the nostalgic to the newer ones. But what, if any, are some misfires?

I know the Nahtazu campaign Disney ran back when AK opened takes a lot of heat, considering the park felt very much like a zoo despite Disneys efforts to advertise it as not one.
But for me the worst WDW advertising idea goes to the rapping Seven Dwarfs commercial that ran back when SDMT opened. This thing was terrible imo. With the completely out of character dwarfs rapping to the cringeworthy family gearing up with shades and flipping the collar, this was painful to watch.

mtcl01.jpg

BHF

Original Poster
Another honorable mention. Wasn't there a MagicBand commercial awhile ago where a person tried to use theirs while checking out at a grocery store? I can't decide if that's clever or cheesy.

sullyinMT

Another honorable mention. Wasn't there a MagicBand commercial awhile ago where a person tried to use theirs while checking out at a grocery store? I can't decide if that's clever or cheesy.
Innovative. They inspired the smart watch/mobile wallet movement with one ad!

Goofyernmost

Do you have daughters?
I did, I had two daughters to go through that with. It isn't evil. It is sad and it is tugging at the heart strings, but since Disney deals in selling emotion it is just part of the true emotional feelings. They are only young once and you don't get a do over. You must take advantage while you can. It's to late to tell people after the kids have grown and are on their own. It's actually very good and truthful ad.

sullyinMT

I don’t know about worst (we don’t get a lot of advertising out here), but I remember a very effective one from years ago. Two siblings in bed “too excited to sleep,” because they were headed to WDW tomorrow. Then parents in their bed with the same dilemma. We still quote “I’m too excited to sleep!” at home the night before any vacation, not just WDW.

JohnD

Already a thread from 2018:

TotallyBiased

That daughters ad and the duck ad just ruined my gruff exterior for a few moments.

Incidentally my daughters aren't really big Dis fans. My wife though, she's all in on B&tB and Cinderella. She cried the first time she got to see the castle in person. Lost her stuff completely seeing it lit up in ice the week before Xmas. Seeing her face in the west wing at BOG, her smile and subsequent waterworks when the tree of life gets going... really gets me seeing her in that state of being, caught up in some magic.

The duck ad reminds me of that Pixar short "Piper". One of my favorite shorts. That brings me back to seeing my daughters overcoming fear of something and growing confident and independent. Yep. He were go again.

Goofyernmost

Already a thread from 2018:

And amazingly still relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom