Is it worth ? (Holiday season)

MDB12

Hello

I need your opinion!

1: FIRST DW trip !! 2 adult 2 high schooler from California
2: planning to go during school winter break this year.
3: 7days to spend at parks

Total coast for Air tickets, official hotels, park tickets will be about $15,000. ( not includes foods and shopping )

I guess end up I costs $20,000 total.

Question!!
Is it worth to spend that much ?

( we don't want to go when weather is hot, we can't go when kids have school)

JIMINYCR

Depends on some factors. Whats the breakdown for plane fare and which resort are you staying at ? Whats the school break dates? Are the funds available and not going to put you in a bind later on? Food costs can be managed depending on how you plan it out. Shopping as well can be budgeted, just be sure not to last minute splurge. You can easily go overboard.
A Disney trip isnt inexpensive. Your trip divided out is 5K per person, including the air fare. Not unreasonable depending on what your planning details are and what it all entails. There are always ways to trim costs down to a better amount/ person.
We budget and save for the trip we want. Cost is a factor but getting what we want is more important. I'll put off a trip if its going to be expensive in order to save enough later on for what I want. Money can always be worked for, so I'd rather build a pleasurable trip that after its done is memorable.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
Depends on some factors. Whats the breakdown for plane fare and which resort are you staying at ? Whats the school break dates? Are the funds available and not going to put you in a bind later on? Food costs can be managed depending on how you plan it out. Shopping as well can be budgeted, just be sure not to last minute splurge. You can easily go overboard.
A Disney trip isnt inexpensive. Your trip divided out is 5K per person, including the air fare. Not unreasonable depending on what your planning details are and what it all entails. There are always ways to trim costs down to a better amount/ person.
We budget and save for the trip we want. Cost is a factor but getting what we want is more important. I'll put off a trip if its going to be expensive in order to save enough later on for what I want. Money can always be worked for, so I'd rather build a pleasurable trip that after its done is memorable.

Thank you for the reply!

School break is Dec.18 to Jan.3. but I am planning to leave Dec.17th since air fare jumps from 18th.

Air ticket : I have not purchased yet but United economy is around $3,000 for 4 of us as of today.
( we live in rural area so have to take a connecting flight)

Hotel
Animal kingdom villas Kidani for 2 nights $2480

BoardWalk Inn ( not villa) $3044 for 3 nights

The Villas at Grand Floridian $4846 for 3nights.

Hotel total $10370.

Since I am not physically tough enough to walk over 20,000 steps for 8days, I am very picky about hotel location.

Laundry unit in own room is important for us to avoid going back and forth between room and Laundry room in the hotel at night.
That's why I choose 2 villas (and 1 regular room to save some money.)

My Highs school senior son doesn't want to share a bed with his dad anymore so we need rooms says that Up to 5 people with 3 beds.
(my kids are boy and girl)

We won't do much shopping as we are not interested in wearing character clothes or mickey ear hats ,decor items but we need $650 for dog kennel for sure.

$20,000 won't put me in a bind later but I was like... Isn't it ridiculous to spend this much for Disney trip? and is everyone paying this much to visit DW during holiday?

I guess if I want to cut down the cost, I have to change the hotels.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
After looking at where you are staying and the cost of the flights and the time of year you're going the price definitely makes sense if that's more what you're asking.

Worth it? To me it would not be.
I'd opt for less expensive resorts, I would not do multiple resorts, I would not care what my son wanted unless it happened to work out, and I would not worry about the laundry situation as I generally don't do laundry on vacation unless its an extra long one. Instead I'd consider wearing the same bottoms more than once and bring the appropriate amount of other clothes. I'd consider doing laundry one time if luggage room was limited.

Although I am confused on one thing...
Tickets:
Are you booking multiple packages with room and tickets?
If so you're doing it wrong.
You'd want to book just rooms only and then buy a ticket with the amount of days on it that you want.
Ticket prices become lower per day the more days you have on it.
So getting a 2 day ticket and a 2 day ticket and a 3 days ticket will be much more costly than getting a 7 day ticket.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
After looking at where you are staying and the cost of the flights and the time of year you're going the price definitely makes sense if that's more what you're asking.

Worth it? To me it would not be.
I'd opt for less expensive resorts, I would not do multiple resorts, I would not care what my son wanted unless it happened to work out, and I would not worry about the laundry situation as I generally don't do laundry on vacation unless its an extra long one. Instead I'd consider wearing the same bottoms more than once and bring the appropriate amount of other clothes. I'd consider doing laundry one time if luggage room was limited.

Although I am confused on one thing...
Tickets:
Are you booking multiple packages with room and tickets?
If so you're doing it wrong.
You'd want to book just rooms only and then buy a ticket with the amount of days on it that you want.
Ticket prices become lower per day the more days you have on it.
So getting a 2 day ticket and a 2 day ticket and a 3 days ticket will be much more costly than getting a 7 day ticket.

Thank you for the reply !

I only booked hotel room only so far and have not purchased ticket yet. I can get 7 days ticket from Military base MWR later.

The villa is very expensive and I know that's one reason it's costing a lot...even regular room of official hotels are over priced during holidays but it's just nice to sleep away from kids after long day if you get 1 bed room villa LOL

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The cost of deluxe resort ups the cost greatly. Changing resorts can be a pain but some people will do it to experience the different themes and atmosphere each offers. If it’s worth it for you then do what you desire. I’d rather stay in one spot for the duration. The cost can be lowered by staying in one spot, AK is a beautiful site but Boardwalk and GF has better access to parks.
Christmas time is my favorite time to go. The decorations WDW wide are absolutely fabulous. The feel and attitude of those around you is more joyful spirit and less confrontational. The feel of the season and the holiday music must affect everyone to be better behaved.😀
The days leading up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be more crowded as guests will target those days more. And expect NYE to be very crazy. Have a great first trip and do as much as you can fit in.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
I would not stay in three different resorts, first of all.

Second of all, it would probably be cheaper if you stayed in standard rooms instead of villas. Check two standard rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge (not the Villas) and price that out for the full duration. I bet it'll be much less.
It will be my first and probably last time to go to DW so I am very curious about those 3 hotels !! and also closer to each parks is important for me to spend max time but I have to think again..

I saw Animal kingdom lodge (not villa) but I would like 2 beds plus one pull out for my HS senior who doesn't want to share a bed.
Standard room has only 2 queen beds. I know this makes thing difficult... I need to tell him to just take it, but other reason I choose villa is I prefer to sleep peacefully separate from kids lol . Thank you !

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It will be my first and probably last time to go to DW so I am very curious about those 3 hotels !! and also closer to each parks is important for me to spend max time but I have to think again..
You'll spend more time changing resorts than you'd save in resort-to-park transit. Nothing is very far from anything else.

I saw Animal kingdom lodge (not villa) but I would like 2 beds plus one pull out for my HS senior who doesn't want to share a bed.
Standard room has only 2 queen beds. I know this makes thing difficult... I need to tell him to just take it, but other reason I choose villa is I prefer to sleep peacefully separate from kids lol . Thank you !
Right, what I'm saying is that two standard rooms will probably still be cheaper than one villa.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I am going to be at Disney Dec. 18-27. I rented a DVC studio at OKW for $1800. I am a Platinum AP passholder, so ticket costs are hard to figure out. I paid about $3,000 at the renewal for my family of three. We're making two trips that total three weeks during our AP year, so I will say tickets at $1,000 for this trip. I have budgeted food at $1200. We're driving, so add another $500. Total trip cost: $4500-$5000 for three people.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
The cost of deluxe resort ups the cost greatly. Changing resorts can be a pain but some people will do it to experience the different themes and atmosphere each offers. If it’s worth it for you then do what you desire. I’d rather stay in one spot for the duration. The cost can be lowered by staying in one spot, AK is a beautiful site but Boardwalk and GF has better access to parks.
Christmas time is my favorite time to go. The decorations WDW wide are absolutely fabulous. The feel and attitude of those around you is more joyful spirit and less confrontational. The feel of the season and the holiday music must affect everyone to be better behaved.😀
The days leading up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be more crowded as guests will target those days more. And expect NYE to be very crazy. Have a great first trip and do as much as you can fit in.
Thank you for your reply !! First I was planning to stay at only Boardwalk inn,
then I was like...wait, it seems like it's not close to AK, MK !!! It's not like California Disney land ! DW is huge !!

I don't like to take long to get to the park every morning. Then I decided to stay closer to each parks, but it might not be good idea...
I wonder changing hotels is hassle.

Upvote 0

ppet

Like others have said go with a less expensive hotel room. I know when my son and daughter were teenagers they wanted a bed by their selves. We ended up packing a twin self inflating air bed that one of them would use at disnay.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
You'll spend more time changing resorts than you'd save in resort-to-park transit. Nothing is very far from anything else.

Right, what I'm saying is that two standard rooms will probably still be cheaper than one villa.
Oh 2 standard rooms ! I didn't think that way. AK standard room 668/night plus tax, so it will be $1,336 plus tax/ night.
it's almost same as villa !! oh well.. what ever expensive unless we just squeeze in one room lol.

To go from AK lodge to Magic kingdom is not bad timewise?

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
I am going to be at Disney Dec. 18-27. I rented a DVC studio at OKW for $1800. I am a Platinum AP passholder, so ticket costs are hard to figure out. I paid about $3,000 at the renewal for my family of three. We're making two trips that total three weeks during our AP year, so I will say tickets at $1,000 for this trip. I have budgeted food at $1200. We're driving, so add another $500. Total trip cost: $4500-$5000 for three people.
wish we can get to DW by car but we are from California so no choice to pay a lot for air fare. Also we are not pass holder :(
I am not sure what OKW means (sorry lol) but I feel like moving to FL and get AP !!

Enjoy your trip !!

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
Like others have said go with a less expensive hotel room. I know when my son and daughter were teenagers they wanted a bed by their selves. We ended up packing a twin self inflating air bed that one of them would use at disnay.
You took an air bed with you !!🤣 it's heavy though great idea !
well, we might want to do it but I just want to sleep quietly separate from kids after loooong day 😆

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
if you choose only one hotel which hotel would you choose? which one you think the most convenient ?
Animal Kingdom Lodge is my favorite hotel in the world. It's truly unique, has a "magical" atmosphere, and excellent food and beverage options across the board. Great counter service, great sit-down dining, great buffet, and great signature (fancy) dining.

The Crescent Lake resorts (Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk) are what most people think of as the most convenient because you can walk to two parks. But you said in your original post that you don't want to do loads of walking, so I don't know if that appeals to you.

I don't like the Magic Kingdom area resorts. They're very convenient to the Magic Kingdom, but very inconvenient to the other three parks. Magic Kingdom is the park farthest away from everything else.

Upvote 0

macefamily

I'd try OKW multi-floor suite which sleeps at least 8. Also, do you really need to be onsite ? When we stay about 20 minutes from the parks we pay 1/4 of what we pay for a Disney resort. Of course you'll need a rental car, and they're really damn expensive now.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom Lodge is my favorite hotel in the world. It's truly unique, has a "magical" atmosphere, and excellent food and beverage options across the board. Great counter service, great sit-down dining, great buffet, and great signature (fancy) dining.

The Crescent Lake resorts (Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk) are what most people think of as the most convenient because you can walk to two parks. But you said in your original post that you don't want to do loads of walking, so I don't know if that appeals to you.

I don't like the Magic Kingdom area resorts. They're very convenient to the Magic Kingdom, but very inconvenient to the other three parks. Magic Kingdom is the park farthest away from everything else.
AM lodge 2rooms for 7 nights will be nearly $10,000. so I might just go one standard room and like someone said bring an air bed for my son. I feel already tired though 🤣

Thank you so much for your help ! I'm gonna have a nightmare tonight about DW maps and hotels😂

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom