Anyone Have Photos of How GF Rooms Looked Originally?

lsujoe

Original Poster
Does anyone have any photos they could post of how Grand Floridian rooms were decorated originally? I'm just curious to see how 'plush' they were. I know it was a very nice resort when it first opened and just wondering if they were nicer than they are now or if hotels in general have caught up to GF.

TrojanUSC

Does anyone have any photos they could post of how Grand Floridian rooms were decorated originally? I'm just curious to see how 'plush' they were. I know it was a very nice resort when it first opened and just wondering if they were nicer than they are now or if hotels in general have caught up to GF.

They looked like your grandmother's bedroom but that was more how hotels were back then. They were pretty nice for their era. The newer rooms at the GF can't hold a candle to the rooms at the FS or the new JW. Not even in the ballpark in terms of quality.

UNCgolf

They were more heavily themed towards the hotel's intended era than the rooms are now, which meant they looked old fashioned and a bit stuffy. Although I prefer the Disney's attempts to theme the rooms compared to the more generic rooms most of the hotels have now, I don't think many people (me included) would actually want to stay in the old GF rooms today.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I Googled around looking and came up empty-handed.

I'm imagining that they probably looked like a more frou-frou version of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining. Hoping somebody will post some pictures here so I can get that image out of my head. ;)

UPDATE: There a few old photos here, including what is reported to be a shot of the original rooms. They even had a Mickey towel arrangement on the bed -- perfect for cleaning up after murders. (Sorry, still thinking about The Overlook!): https://www.wdwinfo.com/history/the-history-of-the-grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-part-two/

Grand-Flo-089.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom