News D23 Expo 2022

WDW Pro

I find this hard to believe for one main reason. They already hit the brakes, for the most part, on new projects after covid hit. Now they're going to keep their foot on the brakes because of the possibility of a recession?

A recession might not hit at all, could hit this year, next year, or 2024... I just don't find it feasible that Disney has decided to continue to delay or simply not start any big new projects for what would end up being 4-5 years (2020-2025). All the while Universal is gaining serious ground, WDW it's losing ground, and Universal has a massive new park coming in just a couple years.

If what you say happens, then Disney is in even more serious trouble than any of us could even imagine. People are still going on vacations, there just choosing to NOT go to Disney because it's a shell of it's former self and costs more than ever. I have a family member who owns about 15 dog boarding places, he's booked solid.

And my goodness at the misguided idea that destroying Splash Mountain is the best way to compete with Epic Universe.

LOL, good one Bobby C!

Remember, I said "major". There may be some announcements, but unless there's a super-secret, huge announcement... I'm not hearing anything really. Splash Mountain, finish Moana, I've heard there's another Epcot announcement (but I don't get the impression its big), finish Tron, maybe announce a replacement for Rivers of Light.

WDW Pro

Oh, I will say this in case it comes back to bite me if I don't...

I'm very confident based on conversations I've had that Disney wants to build a very high-end (think much nicer than anything yet) hotel for the ultra-rich which would be located north of Grand Floridian. I believe the goal is to have the hotel connect to the Magic Kingdom directly via an expansion pad in Adventureland (i.e. guests get their own private entrance gate). However, I don't think they're ready to announce that this year. I could be wrong. Also, it's something I think they're planning -- I'm not guaranteeing it happens.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Remember, I said "major". There may be some announcements, but unless there's a super-secret, huge announcement... I'm not hearing anything really. Splash Mountain, finish Moana, I've heard there's another Epcot announcement (but I don't get the impression its big), finish Tron, maybe announce a replacement for Rivers of Light.
Hear anything about the Avengers E ticket at DCA? It sounds like it could still happen at some point.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you're heading to D23 this year, some news on retail experiences has been announced today.

Virtual queue information -

Ahead of D23 Expo 2022, be sure to download the Disneyland Resort App. Attendees will be able to sign up for an available boarding group in a virtual queue for D23 Expo Marketplace, Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store, or Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store using the Disneyland Resort app and scanning a QR code at each store’s entrance. Save time with Merchandise Mobile Checkout, which will be available to pay for items through the app. Finally, to shop select limited-edition items, guests can use the online reservation system, StorePass, prior to the start of D23 Expo. More details on how to get a StorePass reservation will be announced later this summer.

Details on merchandise -

D23 Expo Marketplace

No matter which part of the Disney universe is your favorite, fans of all ages and affinities will be thrilled by the D23 Expo Marketplace – a 27,000-square-foot shopping experience on the D23 Expo show floor. From limited-edition merchandise to the first items celebrating Disney’s 100th Anniversary, you can find it all at the D23 Expo Marketplace! Find the best items from shopDisney, Disney Store, and Disney Parks in one convenient location.

Mickey’s of Glendale

The Walt Disney Imagineering exclusive Mickey’s of Glendale shop is returning to D23 Expo this year, this time with three unique retail spaces tailored to different categories and experiences. The Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store will feature merchandise designed by Imagineers, including hats, T-shirts, accessories and more. This location will also exclusively feature collections celebrating Walt Disney Imagineering’s upcoming 70th Anniversary, making it a must-see for Imagineering aficionados and Parks fans!

Calling all pin traders – the Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store is your place to find an assortment of limited-edition pins to add to your collection.

Finally, find official merchandise for D23 Expo 2022 at the D23 Expo Shop x Mickey’s of Glendale. Commemorate your time at this milestone event with Expo exclusive merchandise.

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm very confident based on conversations I've had that Disney wants to build a very high-end (think much nicer than anything yet) hotel for the ultra-rich which would be located north of Grand Floridian. I believe the goal is to have the hotel connect to the Magic Kingdom directly via an expansion pad in Adventureland (i.e. guests get their own private entrance gate). However, I don't think they're ready to announce that this year. I could be wrong. Also, it's something I think they're planning -- I'm not guaranteeing it happens.
Given how much in park construction has stalled (Tron and GOTG delays, a bunch of EPCOT's plans scuttled), and hotel/DVC has not (new DVC conversions, new Poly DVC Tower, Galactic Starcruiser) this fits within the company's recent areas of emphasis.

JD80

I don't doubt that at all, because that sounds about right especially after all those Epcot hotel rumors a few years ago.

However - I'd also think they would want to add an Starcruiser-like experience to MK before they do that. Assuming Starcruiser numbers remain strong.

Captain Neo

Is there any rumors on what could be announced for the parks at the expo?

I feel like they don’t have anything to announce otherwise we would have heard leaks

EPCOT-O.G.

Is there any rumors on what could be announced for the parks at the expo?

I feel like they don’t have anything to announce otherwise we would have heard leaks
A rumor was floated late last week that DL’s Space Mountain was being refurbished based on Lightyear. Since then, audiences spoke with their wallets and saw Top Gun and Jurassic World Dominion instead. It’s now expected to lose money. I guess it depends on whether they move enough merch or it finds a second life on D+, but it’s one of the few critical and financial Pixar misfires.

Cmdr_Crimson

A rumor was floated late last week that DL’s Space Mountain was being refurbished based on Lightyear. Since then, audiences spoke with their wallets and saw Top Gun and Jurassic World Dominion instead. It’s now expected to lose money. I guess it depends on whether they move enough merch or it finds a second life on D+, but it’s one of the few critical and financial Pixar misfires.
If it still happens I'd be surprised but, since they moved the M&G from the TL Terrace out of eyesight towards the former Fastpass area of SM they already got a good hint that it's not going as planned..

EPCOT-O.G.

If it still happens I'd be surprised but, since they moved the M&G from the TL Terrace out of eyesight towards the former Fastpass area of SM they already got a good hint that it's not going as planned..
I don’t know. If anything Disney’s decisions strike me as more stubborn and spiteful rather than geared towards what their audiences want. If anything, I could see them pushing forward with this so the “wrong” people don’t win in their little cultural proxy battle.

Cmdr_Crimson

I don’t know. If anything Disney’s decisions strike me as more stubborn and spiteful rather than geared towards what their audiences want. If anything, I could see them pushing forward with this so the “wrong” people don’t win in their little cultural proxy battle.
This also brings up if they'd keep Astro Blasters or retheme it..No reason for 2 Lightyear attractions in two spots in one land..

aladdin2007

that would really bother me if that pad went to a hotel and not an attraction, when its a main prime real estate magic kingdom expansion pad left. See what they are building now across the lagoon? do we want another one of these downtown looking office building hotels looming over the park like they are jamming in at the polynesian (destroying beautiful grounds in the process I might add but they don't care) its just mind boggling to me that they keep building hotels when the parks cant handle the crowds as it is. Im just talking out loud really not directed at you wdw pro.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Details a bit fuzzy, but sounds like panels this year will be a "Random Selection Process" in terms of StagePasses. Basically every badge will have a lottery.

That's a bit more uniform as it was sort of an all or none process. You either got through the virtual queue fast and could reserve for every day your desired StagePasses, or you missed out on them all essentially.

Captain Neo

Ehh that rumor smelled fake from the beginning. It was just a fan making speculation.

I was wondering if a reliable source has said if we should expect any meat (are Lee and Martin still around?)

I’m personally thinking the surprise announcements could be that the spaceship earth refurb is now going to move forward maybe that Mary popping thing as well but that’s about it. Not sure if that avengers e-ticket is still going to happen for California Adventure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom