News Expedition Everest refurbishment in 2022

wedenterprises

Yes. It scared the crap out of me the first time I rode it. Then in the rides after, it was impressive to see.

Of course, the entire ride as designed was a well put together package and one of the last examples of vintage imagineering. After the mist went away and Yeti in B mode, it was just OK.
yeah, I feel like the last time I rode I barely noticed the Yeti. It's in a weird spot where you have to look up as the train is going down too.

RollerCoaster

I rode it during previews and saw it in A mode several times, so here's my take. You saw it just long enough for it to be scary and startling. Although it moved very fast and powerful looking, its range of movement was still limited. Consider how on Skull Island: Reign of Kong, the Kong animatronic is extremely impressive, but you park in front of it for long enough to realize it's just a head looking back and forth and it kind of loses its impact when it doesn't do more. So seeing the yeti for any longer than you did would ruin the startling impact of the figure and the aspect of being not totally sure of what you just saw, appropriate for a cryptid.

Having said that, I do not think it makes or breaks the ride, or that its absence in any way makes the ride not worth riding. Three seconds out of a three minute roller coaster that would still be fun even with no show elements just isn't enough to make it not worth riding. For a long time when we still thought there was a chance that A Mode would come back, B Mode resulted in disappointment after riding - but not because the ride was now pointless, but rather because you really wanted to see this hyped figure again, or for others, the first time.
I completely disagree. The Yeti in action made this attraction. To this day my first ride was one experience that I have never forgotten. I fortunately got to ride the attractions a lot during my initial visit and more with the Yeti in action during a second visit. Without the A mode experience, you've got nothing more than a mediocre roller coaster with two many left helices and a bunch of strobe lights at the finale.

SoFloMagic

I have ridden Everest more times then I can count and have never seen any steam. When did they stop using it?
Im sure someone has better info than I, but from my recollection, it was working when the parks first reopened ( I feel like it wasn't when they closed) , then stopped sometime in the past year or so? I was there last week and it wasn't running but today it was.

Bird on a stick I had never seen before until the parks reopened and it was working. I feel like it stopped working sometime over the summer but is back now.

Of course I'm not there daily so who knows.

Jones14

So, the mist at the mountain is at the cave entrance after you enter going backwards?
Yes, but it was most visible when you were going towards the broken track scene. It helped conceal the track switch from view, making the drop backwards into the mountain more of a surprise.

Riders would emerge from the mist to see the broken track, only to fall backwards through the same mist, but this time going through the interior of the mountain.

Tom Morrow

No, I was actually there in May 2006? What is your source? Please explain how you know this to be fact? The layout was designed from the get-go for 5 train operations. The variable speed lift is a different story, but the speed of the lift is not what enables additional trains. There were plenty of blocks to accommodate 5 trains from the start.

It's been discussed for years that it initially ran with four trains for a bit before adding a 5th. They actually had to order a 6th train to be built because Disney likes to have one as a spare. The train maintenance bay on Everest only has slots for 5 trains (4 in operation and 1 spare originally). Now, since they typically have 6 available if none are under refurbishment, all 6 can not fit in the bay and one must sit outside or in the load station overnight.

As I explained in my post, all these years the ride control system has been "overridden" (in a safe way) to run five trains as it is not capable of resuming motion automatically after a cascade backup. This results in only 16 seconds of delay at load or unload on already very short dispatch interval before it initiates an alarm, requiring the control room operator to constantly reset these alarms.

How could you even know, as a guest, that there were five trains? You can never see all five at once.

peter11435

No, I was actually there in May 2006? What is your source? Please explain how you know this to be fact? The layout was designed from the get-go for 5 train operations. The variable speed lift is a different story, but the speed of the lift is not what enables additional trains. There were plenty of blocks to accommodate 5 trains from the start.
I’m telling you. The attraction was designed from the get-go to run with 4 trains. Changes were made to accommodate a 5th. This includes the variable speed lift which does accommodate the 5th train. You can easily tell if they are running 4 or 5 trains because at 5 trains the lift will slow considerably about half way up the incline. If you rode in may of 2006 they were only running 4 trains

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

I’m telling you. The attraction was designed from the get-go to run with 4 trains. Changes were made to accommodate a 5th. This includes the variable speed lift which does accommodate the 5th train. You can easily tell if they are running 4 or 5 trains because at 5 trains the lift will slow considerably about half way up the incline. If you rode in may of 2006 they were only running 4 trains
If they run 5 is the lift functioning as a block zone? Trying to figure out where else it would be.

Tom Morrow

If they run 5 is the lift functioning as a block zone? Trying to figure out where else it would be.

Lifts are block zones on all modern coasters.

Everest has 8 block zones: load -> lift A (small) -> lift B (big) -> broken tracks track switch -> shadow projection track switch -> flat section before yeti figure -. hold before unload - unload

Scoots71

Lifts are block zones on all modern coasters.

Everest has 8 block zones: load -> lift A (small) -> lift B (big) -> broken tracks track switch -> shadow projection track switch -> flat section before yeti figure -. hold before unload - unload
The YouTube page ElToroRyan has a great piece on Expedition Everest in one of his Problematic Coasters series, and details how these block zones work. (He also has great pieces on BTMRR and Space Mountain.)

sedati

The YouTube page ElToroRyan has a great piece on Expedition Everest in one of his Problematic Coasters series, and details how these block zones work. (He also has great pieces on BTMRR and Space Mountain.)
Wow, there were 24 iterations in the blue-sky phase. So there must be 6x the outrage compared to Seven Dwarves over the more ambitious versions we didn't get.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
In December I was SO impressed to see the steam working. Hopefully they fix more show elements during the downtime.
The mist I believe had the parts to run it removed a long time ago. Yeti will most likely remain a corpse forever. There's still hope they get Bird on a Stick regularly functioning

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Now when you say "lengthy" How long we talk'n?
We talk'n a rather simple 🩹 fix or a full out replacement to give us something à la Harold?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom