Scooter Availability at parks?

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
Going with my mom and my nephew soon. My mom has a hip that acts up from time to time. She doesn't want a scooter the entire time but wants to get one of her hip really starts bothering her.
Do they typically have them or do they run out? Going in September.

Goofyernmost

Going with my mom and my nephew soon. My mom has a hip that acts up from time to time. She doesn't want a scooter the entire time but wants to get one of her hip really starts bothering her.
Do they typically have them or do they run out? Going in September.
They are usually available, but there is no guarantee. I know she doesn't want to use one all the time, but trust me if she is having hip problems from time to time at home, the chances of her having them during any given Disney Park death march are much higher. ;)

Disney charges a lot for theirs and they are throttled down to snail pace. You could pay for a week with an outside sourced one and use it or don't, but I won't take many rentals onsite that would pay for the week. The biggest thing about offsite rentals is that if your driving it is a long way to the the parking lot from MK and with a bad hip it can be a pretty painful walk. Same with from the far end of Epcot to the parking or bus location is also a long way. Trust me, from someone that took that chance, if someone has leg/hip pain it can be a pretty miserable day if you don't recognize it's possibility ahead of time. You folks know better about her complete condition than I do, so do what you think best. The onsite rentals cannot leave the front gate and that is also where you get them. A bad situation at the far end of any of the parks can be torture. If she doesn't want to use one due to pride. No one really is paying that much attention and if they don't like it try not to care. They are jerks that have been lucky enough to not have pain at that point, but the level of enjoyment for her can change to great if pain isn't in the equation. It is sometimes a long way to the buses as well and like I said you cannot take their rentals with you if rented at the parks.

seascape

You should look up the cost of renting one in the park for the day and compare that to the cost of renting one for your entire stay. I would think if the cost difference is not too much, think of it as insurance. Your mon may need more than just one day. OTOH, I personally think one should only use one when absolutely necessary because they are too easy to get used to.

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
They are usually available, but there is no guarantee. I know she doesn't want to use one all the time, but trust me if she is having hip problems from time to time at home, the chances of her having them during any given Disney Park death march are much higher. ;)

Disney charges a lot for theirs and they are throttled down to snail pace. You could pay for a week with an outside sourced one and use it or don't, but I won't take many rentals onsite that would pay for the week. The biggest thing about offsite rentals is that if your driving it is a long way to the the parking lot from MK and with a bad hip it can be a pretty painful walk. Same with from the far end of Epcot to the parking or bus location is also a long way. Trust me, from someone that took that chance, if someone has leg/hip pain it can be a pretty miserable day if you don't recognize it's possibility ahead of time. You folks know better about her complete condition than I do, so do what you think best. The onsite rentals cannot leave the front gate and that is also where you get them. A bad situation at the far end of any of the parks can be torture. If she doesn't want to use one due to pride. No one really is paying that much attention and if they don't like it try not to care. They are jerks that have been lucky enough to not have pain at that point, but the level of enjoyment for her can change to great if pain isn't in the equation. It is sometimes a long way to the buses as well and like I said you cannot take their rentals with you if rented at the parks.
Ok thanks. I'll talk to her more about that. She got back from Yellowstone with my daughter and was ok most days. The horse back riding did a number in her.

I think she really only wants it for a safety net if needed. She walks 3-4 miles each morning for exercise and again some mornings shes totally fine and some it's a struggle.

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
You should look up the cost of renting one in the park for the day and compare that to the cost of renting one for your entire stay. I would think if the cost difference is not too much, think of it as insurance. Your mon may need more than just one day. OTOH, I personally think one should only use one when absolutely necessary because they are too easy to get used to.
I'm well aware of the cost difference and it's not an issue.
For whatever reason your last sentence rubs me wrong. This lady has climbed Machu Picchu and hikes a National Park or two yearly. She will be getting hip surgery sooner rather than later and is not looking for an easy route. Shes doing this only if absolutely necessary or canceling her Grandson's special WDW trip with Grandma/Aunt.

Goofyernmost

Ok thanks. I'll talk to her more about that. She got back from Yellowstone with my daughter and was ok most days. The horse back riding did a number in her.

I think she really only wants it for a safety net if needed. She walks 3-4 miles each morning for exercise and again some mornings shes totally fine and some it's a struggle.
Unfortunately WDW parks are usually more then 3 miles a day. I have logged up to 8 miles. It isn't continuous, of course, there is a lot of standing in slow moving lines, but you do usually get breaks where you can sit down for the attraction. She seems pretty active and might be ok, it is just a long way from the back to the rental locations, so it is good to plan ahead.

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
Unfortunately WDW parks are usually more then 3 miles a day. I have logged up to 8 miles. It isn't continuous, of course, there is a lot of standing in slow moving lines, but you do usually get breaks where you can sit down for the attraction. She seems pretty active and might be ok, it is just a long way from the back to the rental locations, so it is good to plan ahead.
Yea...she's been quite a few times. My sister and I were shocked she even asked me to look into it. She was planning on getting a steroid shot before we went but can't. I think that's really what even let her think about.
Thank you for your input! I appreciate it!

Goofyernmost

Yea...she's been quite a few times. My sister and I were shocked she even asked me to look into it. She was planning on getting a steroid shot before we went but can't. I think that's really what even let her think about.
You're welcome. I hope it helped but again it is an individual decision. If you all go, have a great time.

Smiley/OCD

The only things I would add is to bite the bullet and rent one off-site...i.e. Buena Vista et. al...they will deliver it right to the resort and she can use it EVERYWHERE (including the resort). Trust me, she may not think she needs it, but it's a LONG walk to/from the bus stops/your car and why waste energy for that? Plus, it's sometimes a long walk from the drop off at the resort to your room. again, if she uses all her energy in the parks, that walk back to the room could be disastrous. The park scooters are big, slow and clunky. Do yourself a favor and rent one off site...your mom will thank you later.

seascape

I'm well aware of the cost difference and it's not an issue.
For whatever reason your last sentence rubs me wrong. This lady has climbed Machu Picchu and hikes a National Park or two yearly. She will be getting hip surgery sooner rather than later and is not looking for an easy route. Shes doing this only if absolutely necessary or canceling her Grandson's special WDW trip with Grandma/Aunt.
I did not mean that sentence for you but for everyone. I believe we agree on the problems of people becoming dependent on scooters and it was fairly clear that this would be a one time use. Again, I am sorry if you took that sentence the way you did, it was unintentional and I wish your mom many more years of good health and happiness and also many more visits to WDW.

Goofyernmost

Your statement toward the end is directed at those that you feel are just using them because it is easier. That is an error. Yes, of course there are some that use them because they don't want to walk it, but they are few and far between. All anyone needs to do is use one once before one remembers that they are a total pain in the butt. You have to maneuver around thoughtless people that step in front of you and then decide to blame you because they got or almost got hit. It never occurs to them that they might of looked where they were instead of deciding that a quick maneuver to the side is a good idea. Then there is the fact that in a crowd you are constantly looking at the butts of everyone. It's not a pretty sight. You have to find a place to park them at attractions or restaurants that don't allow them inside. Many of the parking places for either scooters or wheelchairs are either in the absolute front or absolute back of the attractions where you cannot see clearly or the front where you are looking straight up and missing many of the parts of the show. If one uses a Disney scooter you find yourself having to painfully make your way to buses, boats, and monorails because they cannot leave the park. Yea, it is a fun time, but it is better then being in sometimes extreme pain that is invisible to everyone else.

Personally, I always vowed that I would not ever use one, but then my desire to go to WDW surpassed my stubbornness to avoid looking either disabled or fat and lazy. I went and remained pain free for the entire day and enjoyed myself completely just as soon as I got past caring what others thought. I am still working on being able to attend again without the need. It is so much easier to spend the day freely walking from place to place then constantly having to worry about people stopping short, turning quickly or attempting to make you feel guilty for not knowing they were going to step right in front of you.

Djsfantasi

I also vowed never to use one, but as I got older, the parks became more difficult to use. During my 2020 trip, at the end of the day, my blood pressure went sky high and I passed out. I refused a trip to the hospital but it scared me. My next trip, I brought my girlfriend and she was concerned about walking 5-10 miles/day (I usually have one 9+ mile/day day) My average is 5+ m/d.
So I rented an offsite scooter for our (11 day) stay for the two of us. It was the best decision I ever made in a Disney trip.

spock8113

Sounds like this person really needs a scooter and is aware of the attitudes towards people with scooters and the sometimes blatant abuse of scooters by a small handful. Personally, I have a family member who needs one but I highly resent the families who literally rent a squadron of scooters with flames painted on the sides with wheely bars to form gangs (Disney's Devils) terrorizing people who truly need them. That IS a fine line for Disney to tread, Doctors notes or not. They can't discriminate and must accommodate. In the end, it's the scooter user who has the responsibility of proper use or abuse at all other guests' cost.

lewisc

The fact that she asked suggests she knows it's probably a good idea. It can be a long walk from the bus stop at a park to the rental location. A line to rent. Same place that rents wheelchairs and strollers. I'd rent offsite for your entire trip. goldmobility gets almost 100% great reviews. If things are going good park the scooter in whatever part of the theme park you're at and then walk. You don't want to be by Splash Mountain, realize she needs an ECV, walk over to the front of the park and find out they're sold out for the day.

Good day. You'll park the ECV somewhere in Fantasyland. She'll walk from attraction to attraction. Bad day. Take the scooter from Small World to Peter Pan etc. Real bad day. Take the ECV all the way to the loading area, when allowed. Take ECV on attractions like Small World and JC which have vehicles which will accommodate ECV.

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
We got one from Scooterbug. I liked the fact that we didn't need to be there for delivery or return.
She ended up parking at locations and walking the "lands". The only place we didn't was World Showcase in Epcot. She wouldn't have been able to go the entire time without one

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom