Is Victoria and Alberts ever coming back?

Benjamin_Nicholas

So the "new" V&A....
1) New Head chef.
2) No current reviews (how could there be?).
3) Prices totally reasonable - for the OLD V&A. But we have ZERO data on the NEW V&A.

Could be great, could be a bust. Not booking until it's reviewed by Fine Dining Organizations.

Meanwhile.... we have a recognized Fine Dining Establishment :).

Capa is fantastic.

And that they always hold three tables nightly for Four Seasons residents is a huge plus in my book.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has posted a few photos showing new interior details at Victoria & Albert’s -

FX9uDIVXkAIILm-.jpeg
FX9uCx-WQAkmRsc.jpeg
FX9uCakWAAAIa0e.jpeg

FX9uDkCXEAAOBzi.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

I'm ok with the concept, but I can't say this looks particularly well executed. Compared with restaurants of similar stature, this space doesn't evoke the quality level I would expect (and assume others fortunate enough to visit these types of restaurants expect). We'll see if it's better in person vs. in pictures, I guess.

aladdin2007

Upscale assisted senior living décor.
hate to say it but I agree. would some little Disney touches have hurt? or are they there and we aren't seeing them?
before I guess it didn't have any either, but of course everything they do redo now can't look or feel like its at Disney anymore.

Hockey89

I'm ok with the concept, but I can't say this looks particularly well executed. Compared with restaurants of similar stature, this space doesn't evoke the quality level I would expect (and assume others fortunate enough to visit these types of restaurants expect). We'll see if it's better in person vs. in pictures, I guess.
With the current level of Disney, it is not shocking...... That is not shocking.....

erstwo

Upscale assisted senior living décor.

hate to say it but I agree. would some little Disney touches have hurt? or are they there and we aren't seeing them?
before I guess it didn't have any either, but of course everything they do redo now can't look or feel like its at Disney anymore.
I agree too! I was at the Fortnum & Mason Diamond Jubilee tearoom last month and this gives similar vibes, so maybe that's what they were going for - but F&M isn't going for 'Victorian'. I will say, even at F &M, they had some dark wood paneling - just some things that gave it more of a 'classic' feeling rather than 'upscale senior living' as @Minthorne so accurately described!

If they wanted lighter and brighter, maybe they should have gone mostly white - like the Orangery at Kensington or something......although I guess that pre-dates the Victorian period and I guess I'm not sure if it was always white. But I do still think mostly whites with marble floors and area rugs (and the furniture pictured) would have looked great. I love the light fixtures. New goal - become a Disney decorator (too bad I'm 100% not qualified! 😂 )

Skywise

Yuck. I mean - it’s not bad, kind of sterile, but I was just looking at pictures of the original dining room design and, frankly, this is LESS Victorian than it was.

Getting rid of the rich browns evoking real wood seems off.

but this does mesh with where they’re dragging the GFs color scheme and style (the Enchanted Rose lounge - and I’m not thrilled with that design either)

Epcot82Guy

It's the finishes. The concept here of a light, bright upper scale garden room can work very well. I look to something like Bazaar South Beach, Picasso at the Bellagio Vegas, La Sirenuse Miami (now closed), Garibaldi Cafe in Savannah. Even Knife and Spoon and Ava here in Orlando (though I'd argue they are a little understated as well). You can make a light, whimsical design scheme work very well in a high end restaurant. But, again, it requires the right finishes.

dreday3

They could get rid of the tablecloths, or at least better ones than those. And I don't love flower arrangements in dining rooms.

But I still think the colors are pretty and some of the fixtures.

FullSailDan

It's very... polished(?), but something about it just feels...wrong. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I get a very strong vibe of hotel salon converted to dining space. Which I suppose that's essentially what this is, but for the category of restaurant this purports to be... it shouldn't ever feel that way. I think the carpet may be hurting it considerably.. it definitely screams hotel. A nice marble tile would have gone a long way, but I assume the size constraints of the space would have meant awful acoustics. The use of white lacquer on the serving stations is also very wrong, it goes together but would be better fit for the CA Grill where modern and contemporary is appropriate.

I have to disagree with the suggestion of Disney elements.. the purpose this space serves doesn't align with that kind of experience. It's actually very healthy for them to not have Disney embedded into it. This is the opportunity for Disney to make a statement. The decor execution should match the artistry of the food.

James Alucobond

Yuck. I mean - it’s not bad, kind of sterile, but I was just looking at pictures of the original dining room design and, frankly, this is LESS Victorian than it was.

Getting rid of the rich browns evoking real wood seems off.

but this does mesh with where they’re dragging the GFs color scheme and style (the Enchanted Rose lounge - and I’m not thrilled with that design either)
This is exactly where the entire color scheme of the resort is headed, as you said. I think their goal is to overlay Victorian architecture with details inspired by Victorian fashion and fabrics. It’s clear they feel staying too true to decorating trends of the era has left the resort feeling dusty and dowdy, so they’re scaling up relevant prints, colors, and textiles to keep some of the feeling while excising the things they think keep the resort from feeling fresh.

Vegas Disney Fan

Very elegant, I love this and the Citricos remodel but am still not a fan of the Enchanted Rose remodel. Odd how 3 areas in 1 themed hotel can feel so different from each other, none really scream Victorian.

EPCOT-O.G.

This is exactly where the entire color scheme of the resort is headed, as you said. I think their goal is to overlay Victorian architecture with details inspired by Victorian fashion and fabrics. It’s clear they feel staying too true to decorating trends of the era has left the resort feeling dusty and dowdy, so they’re scaling up relevant prints, colors, and textiles to keep some of the feeling while excising the things they think keep the resort from feeling fresh.
That's what I think. Compare this look to the photos from the DVC conversion and you start to see certain patterns and touches that overlap. I'd say it's a good chance the lobby takes on this look when they eventually get to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom