What is your favorite subtle detail from any attraction?

Yert3

Original Poster
I have to say mine is how The Haunted Mansion smells like an actual “old house”. I grew up in New England, where’s there’s tons of houses and old buildings from the 1700s and the 1800s still standing, and they have that same district smell. I don’t even know how to describe that smell, but every time I ride The Haunted Mansion, I get flashbacks to my youth with that “old house smell”. I don’t know how Disney is able to recreate it so well, it’s just an excellent small touch that I doubt many people even notice. What’s your favorite subtle detail?

muddyrivers

I really think it's cool how the Imagineers building GMR actually created lore for the town of "Tombstone" through wanted posters, newspapers, etc.
I wish you could actually read all the posters and newspapers along the ride track. It's just too dark and you go too quickly to see anything but the largest sized text on any of these documents.

rreading

The fire in the pirates. It’s cheesy but it works.
At this point, the atmosphere in Pirates is almost the only thing it has going for it. It’s surprising to me what a difference changing the auction scene made to the ride, but at this point the only reasons I ride are nostalgia and atmosphere

But you’re right- I’ve appreciated the fire effect my whole life

DCLcruiser

My childhood (80-90s) in a price tag...

SDD

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 1.15.35 PM.png

Karakasa

From an attraction? The Dinosaur queue honestly feels like walking into a museum, just with a queue in the fossil hall for whatever reason. I quite like it. The diorama between the entrance and the fossil hall itself also clearly had a lot of effort put into it, I sometimes wish I could just stand there and look at it for a bit. The paintings in the fossil hall ceiling too...

91JLovesDisney

Oooo, this is my kind of thread. I have a couple.

In the exit at Orlando's Space Mountain in the baggage-claim diorama one of the suitcases has a Mesa Verde sticker (pretty obvious nod to Horizons)

During the outdoor portion of Test Track there is a road sign(?) with Progress City on it. I don't completely remember how that one ties into Test Track, probably something to do with World of Motion 🤷‍♂️

There are 1995 skulls behind Mara on IJA at Anaheim, a tribute to the year the ride opened

On the TTA you hear "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact me Johnson at the Control Tower to confirm your flight to the moon." but what a lot of people don't know is Mr. Tom Morrow was the name of the director/manager at Disneyland's attraction, Flight to the Moon, and Mr. Johnson was the same animatronic, but reused in Flight to the Moon's predecessor, Mission to Mars. Clever nod!

1629685280248.png
1629685285115.png

I realize these are less details and more secrets. For a detail I guess I'd say the painting Mr. Toad handing the deed to Owl on WTP.

Last edited:

JustAFan

I agree with a lot of these. The burning smell when Rome falls in Spaceship Earth is a nice touch (quite a few on that ride). The smells on Soarin' and Flight of Passage are good. Slinky Dog Dash, and for that matter, Toy Story Land has quite a few. How they use toys as fences, barriers, lighting, etc. is fun. The London streets on Peter Pan's Flight is cool. One other is the standby queue for Peter Pan's Flight. Tinker Bell's shadow is cool. In fact, the kids' bedroom is full of fun details.

Beacon Joe

From an attraction? The Dinosaur queue honestly feels like walking into a museum, just with a queue in the fossil hall for whatever reason. I quite like it. The diorama between the entrance and the fossil hall itself also clearly had a lot of effort put into it, I sometimes wish I could just stand there and look at it for a bit. The paintings in the fossil hall ceiling too...

I'm am amateur fossil hunter and geology nerd and that's the one ride line I ever want to be stuck in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom