Steakhouse 71 coming to Disney's Contemporary Resort along with new dining at California Grill

Skywise

Well... at least it's not Incredibles themed! :D
I'm a little sad to see the Wave go and hope for the best for this (going to miss that cool blue bar though).
Not sure about the "casual steakhouse" concept though...

Honestly though - if we're going to honor the 50th anniversary -why not move Chef Mickey's down here and put the steakhouse up back where it used to be in the concourse?

Skywise

"In addition to Steakhouse 71, Disney has also confirmed that a new dining experience will be coming to the California Grill. As part of the experience, there will be a new limited-time menu drawing on the history the restaurant."

Does that mean the California Grill is staying but there will be a different menu or is that a cryptic way of saying THAT'S going to be The Incredibles Restaurant?

Sirwalterraleigh

I'm a little sad to see the Wave go and hope for the best for this (going to miss that cool blue bar though).

Honestly though - if we're going to honor the 50th anniversary -why not move Chef Mickey's down here and put the steakhouse up back where it used to be in the concourse?
Because 400 people at a time paying a redonkulous buffet price for low quality food??

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Premium Member
Sad to see the Wave go, but this sounds like a great new spot to replace it...and as others mentioned at least it's not Incredibles themed.

Although I could see them doing an Incredibles breakfast like Ohana does Stich :hungover:

Better than the Incredibles, and the Wave needed a retheme but how they shoehorn this theme in there will be interesting. A moderate-priced steakhouse calls to mind Outback or Texas Roadhouse - obv not a fit for the environment of the Contemporary. The theming of Steakhouse 55 would not work in that lobby either.

It would be cool if they can extend the original hotel theme in there. People including me have joked about the Fiesta Fun Center - but maybe they could have done some kind of hybrid with gaming and food - probably too complex and not covid friendly.

I will give them a little credit for likely not going pricey signature dining here, with Cali Grill and Chef Mickey's being the other table service options.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Ch
"In addition to Steakhouse 71, Disney has also confirmed that a new dining experience will be coming to the California Grill. As part of the experience, there will be a new limited-time menu drawing on the history the restaurant."

Does that mean the California Grill is staying but there will be a different menu or is that a cryptic way of saying THAT'S going to be The Incredibles Restaurant?
My best guess is that it'll become some sort of "temporary" premium prix fixe menu to draw more money per guest. I'm thinking like Royal Table pricing or higher. I'm also imagining that the menu could include twists / homages to shuttered Contemporary restaurants.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Better than the Incredibles, and the Wave needed a retheme but how they shoehorn this theme in there will be interesting. A moderate-priced steakhouse calls to mind Outback or Texas Roadhouse - obv not a fit for the environment of the Contemporary. The theming of Steakhouse 55 would not work in that lobby either.

It would be cool if they can extend the original hotel theme in there. People including me have joked about the Fiesta Fun Center - but maybe they could have done some kind of hybrid with gaming and food - probably too complex and not covid friendly.

I will give them a little credit for likely not going pricey signature dining here, with Cali Grill and Chef Mickey's being the other table service options.

Steakhouse 71 would have been a nice shout out to Steakhouse 55, but alas they've closed the DL restaurant probably while they had WDW deep in development. It's okay but feels a lot like left hand not talking to right hand, but maybe not unexpected on different coasts.

The casual steakhouse concept had me thinking similarly of Outback. Bloomin onions or bust!

nickys

Premium Member
Sad to see the Wave go, but this sounds like a great new spot to replace it...and as others mentioned at least it's not Incredibles themed.

Although I could see them doing an Incredibles breakfast like Ohana does Stich :hungover:
The Wave was used by convention goers who want a decent breakfast without all the commotion of Chef Mickey’s and which didn’t need an advance booking. Making it a character breakfast won’t do much for their convention business. Maybe that’s their aim though.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My best guess is that it'll become some sort of "temporary" premium prix fixe menu to draw more money per guest. I'm thinking like Royal Table pricing or higher. I'm also imagining that the menu could include twists / homages to shuttered Contemporary restaurants.
Royal Table pricing or higher!?

Absolutely zero chance.

raymusiccity

Nice idea, but, The Wave is too dark and claustrophobic for a Mickey and friends style breakfast.

JIMINYCR

I'm looking forward to a nice steakhouse outside of EP. I hope they do it right with a quality menu. It could fit in well with the Contemp. drawing guests in who cant get into Cali Grill. IMHO the Wave was not as impressive as it should have been for the location. The several times we dined there it was OK but lacked the ability to make it worth the cost.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Premium Member
The Wave was used by convention goers who want a decent breakfast without all the commotion of Chef Mickey’s and which didn’t need an advance booking. Making it a character breakfast won’t do much for their convention business. Maybe that’s their aim though.
That’s a very good point. I keep forgetting they’ve got a pretty famous character breakfast one floor up!

JaSnake16

For a long time the California Grill was our Go To for our 1st night.... have a 730p reservation, hope for that window seat and have a very enjoyable dinner....alas I think that time may be over depending on what this concept is.

Steakhouse 71 sounds interesting... especially if they have some way of bringing back the Sticky Mickey!

splashtest

The Wave had really good food but the decor looked like a nursing home cafeteria. Hopefully this will be a good replacement.

And if they want to celebrate the history of the Contemporary Hotel they should replace The Wave with the old arcade that was there. Now that would be awesome.
YES!! The old Arcade was iconic. Many many memories there as a kid.

LaughingGravy

What if they add a DJ? It was light and airy when it was an arcade and they had a shooting gallery and a movie theater where you could see old Disney movies. There seems to be a lot of 'reimagining', but not much new. I thought it was a steakhouse before it was The Wave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom