Will anyone stay on site any longer?

Jeff4272

Original Poster
With the new genie+, lightening lane and paid fastpass, what is the incentive to stay on property for the premium they charge?

you can get a HUGE incentive to stay at Hard Rock universal by getting express pass and paying $300 per night vs contemporary $900 per night.

you don’t miss out on anything at wdw by doing that (other than 2 hours at night twice per week which is almost nothing) and you save a TON of money while skipping EVERY line at universal without paying for it. Then get a 2-3 day park hopper and buy the 2 FPs at Disney.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
We will be staying at Universal moving forward and visiting Disney a couple days rather than the 10 we have done in the past from our Deluxe accommodations at Universal
I think it makes way more sense especially with the perks you get from staying in an express pass hotel.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
Yes. Because I enjoy the resorts and their atmosphere, and I like the convenience of travelling by Disney transport. Obviously it is not good value, though.
I understand that. The universal resorts atmosphere is awesome too and the transportation is really good too, especially the hard rock. My kids loved the movie nights in the pool.

and for $900 per night vs $300 per night that’s a major difference for our family.

Am I the only one who thinks Universal is a horrible atmosphere that I'd never bring my children to? I was a local for three years and we'd go to CityWalk for dinner once in awhile and the entire place was constantly packed to the gills with trashy local teenagers. Has that changed?
I kind of felt the same way about disney springs when I was there last month 🤷‍♂️

bigrigross

Ill stay onsite with my DVC points. But we have decided we will not be buying any more points. In fact, our family trip this year will be at a AirBNB so we are curious how that will go. We usually did a three bedroom at OKW, but due to the 50% max borrow, we couldnt do it for the 3 weeks we wanted.

I am seeing almost no benefit on staying on site now. We wont sell our current dvc contracts, but we may be renting them out more often and just staying offsite more. Shall see how it goes.

aliceismad

I understand that. The universal resorts atmosphere is awesome too and the transportation is really good too, especially the hard rock. My kids loved the movie nights in the pool.

and for $900 per night vs $300 per night that’s a major difference for our family.
If and when my kiddo becomes interested in Universal, we might take a few days to stay there. As is, personally I don't love anything at Universal enough to actually stay at one of their hotels. The rides are fun, but other than Happy Potter, Uni is not really a repeat vacation atmosphere for me.

Maybe when Epic opens.

Wendy Pleakley

Disney still has an atmosphere that many people enjoy. There were perks I appreciated (Magical Express, advance dining and Fastpass selections) and some I didn't care about (Early Magic Hours). The extras are a factor, but are only part of the puzzle.

The new 30-minute early entry (to each park, every day) is something I see as a net gain. Early entry was often something to avoid when it was one park and everyone went. Maybe you got some things done, but it was offset by increase crowds in that park and/or a need to spend time park hopping to escape those crowds later. The new system is something that is a no brainer to take advantage of every day.

I'm reevaluating the value of staying onsite for sure, but I've always enjoyed the atmosphere regardless of extra benefits, so I'm not at a point where I'd say "never again".

I did do a split stay at Universal last time, so I am leaning away from giving Disney all my money, but I'd still stay onsite again at this point.

JIMINYCR

I am continuing to stay because of the convenient locations, the theming, the helpful, courteous CM's, the transportation, the resort events, and the different feel of being on site. Going in I know the price and despite the fact that I could save money staying off site, that dollar amount difference isnt enough of an incentive for me to look elsewhere. Genie doesnt change that for me, I'm getting enough enjoyment to say staying where I want to stay on Disney property is worth it.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
I am continuing to stay because of the convenient locations, the theming, the helpful, courteous CM's, the transportation, the resort events, and the different feel of being on site. Going in I know the price and despite the fact that I could save money staying off site, that dollar amount difference isnt enough of an incentive for me to look elsewhere. Genie doesnt change that for me, I'm getting enough enjoyment to say staying where I want to stay on Disney property is worth it.
$600 per night savings x 7 nights is enough of a savings for me. That premium is not worth it to my family for location, theming and transportation. Plus universal has that same great atmosphere that wdw hotels have, and some would argue better. When you then add that you get free express pass, it really tips it in favor of staying there over Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom