Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

RSoxNo1

I'm now on my second WDW vacation using Genie+. I've also used it for a Disneyland vacation. The system works well in Disneyland for three main reasons:
  • More rides per park (with a larger distribution of high demand rides)
  • It's not added where it doesn't belong (Tea Cups, shows, etc)
  • You can only use it upon entering the park.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s almost comical how Iger is getting so much praise online from this change like he had anything to do with it or even knows about it.

Half the problems Disney is in is a result of Iger’s setup but will throw Chapek under the bus for it all while he becomes a savior. Brilliant strategy.

G00fyDad

It’s almost comical how Iger is getting so much praise online from this change like he had anything to do with it or even knows about it.

Half the problems Disney is in is a result of Iger’s setup but will throw Chapek under the bus for it all while he becomes a savior. Brilliant strategy.
But the other half are Chapek's. Iger was no saint and I disliked him from the start but Chapek really held the puppy's head under the water during his time in the office.

gerarar

Premium Member
Even just thinking from the software development side, if done the agile way (most likely), this was planned into Q4 work of this year, so this work was refined weeks and weeks ago.

Long before Iger came back. This is more on the POs and leads and managers that wanted this work done. G+ changes like this and others are probably sitting on the backlog right now waiting for them to be taken on eventually.

DCLcruiser

And that will be true for maybe 3-4 days, when it will become increasingly not true until about 10 days from now when it will be a big issue. If you were to cancel (under existing system) in the 10 seconds until you booked something else it would be gone.
Maybe. If that's the case, then just don't go then...

epcotWSC

Here's how I'd make Genie+ work if I were in charge.
  1. Only works when you're in the park (no pre-opening sign ups)
  2. Only works in person. Meaning, like the old fast past system, you have to walk to the ride and scan your phone/band/whatever.
  3. When you scan at the ride, you're given an option of the first available return time and within an hour or two of that time. You pick one and go on your way. You'll immediately see it added to your plans on the WDW app.
  4. You can only queue for one free ride and one paid ride at a time. If you want to queue for some popular ride that's in the evening, then you're out of luck if you want more. Also, if Disney wants to get greedy, they can make you pay for each additional queue slot up to x amount.
  5. All rides, but the newest high tier rides are free
  6. Once you use your fast pass, you're eligible to get a new one.
Done.

G00fyDad

2. Only works in person. Meaning, like the old fast past system, you have to walk to the ride and scan your phone/band/whatever.
  3. When you scan at the ride, you're given an option of the first available return time and within an hour or two of that time. You pick one and go on your way. You'll immediately see it added to your plans on the WDW app.
  4. You can only queue for one free ride and one paid ride at a time. If you want to queue for some popular ride that's in the evening, then you're out of luck if you want more. Also, if Disney wants to get greedy, they can make you pay for each additional queue slot up to x amount.
Done.
1. That would only work at DL.
2. Nope. That would be an absolute cluster(you know what). It was awful for the legacy FP and it would be worse now. Kids sprinting across the parks with 5-10 cell phones in ther hands trying to scan the family's phones for the FP. No thanks.
3. We would rather be able to choose. That is too much like Legacy FP.
4. Nope. Nuff said.
5. Isn't this the way it currently is set up?
6. Too constricting.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Done.
not a fan of your suggestion

epcotWSC

1. That would only work at DL.
2. Nope. That would be an absolute cluster(you know what). It was awful for the legacy FP and it would be worse now. Kids sprinting across the parks with 5-10 cell phones in ther hands trying to scan the family's phones for the FP. No thanks.
3. We would rather be able to choose. That is too much like Legacy FP.
4. Nope. Nuff said.
5. Isn't this the way it currently is set up?
6. Too constricting.
  1. Why? Used to work just fine at WDW
  2. I thought it was great. Yeah, it was easier scanning your family's tickets rather than a bunch of phones. However, park tickets or magic bands also would work. The whole idea is to get rid of the constant staring at phones and refreshing nonsense. Get people back into the real world.
  3. I don't mind the idea of choosing when you come back, however, it's not like you had much of a choice in the past either. You'd refresh and get different times all the time. Whatever works more efficiently is fine, however, in the past you'd know that as the queue built up, then you were getting towards the end of available fast passes.
  4. I don't want a monetary fast pass, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's going away. Too many people seem to think that Disney is going to get generous when they've been raising prices every year for over a decade and never have decreased.
  5. No, you get no free fast passes, you have to buy into the cheap tier and then pay even more for the premium rides.
  6. It's exactly how the old school one worked and helps prevent too much stacking and excessive standby lines.

Last edited:

Andrew25

A paid skip-the-line product isn't going away which is why they should go after the "all-inclusive" pricing model for it.

No manager/executive in their right mind would remove that revenue stream.

G00fyDad

1. Why? Used to work just fine at WDW
  2. I thought it was great. Yeah, it was easier scanning your family's tickets rather than a bunch of phones. However, park tickets or magic bands also would work. The whole idea is to get rid of the constant staring at phones and refreshing nonsense. Get people back into the real world.
  3. I don't mind the idea of choosing when you come back, however, it's not like you had much of a choice in the past either. You'd refresh and get different times all the time. Whatever works more efficiently is fine, however, in the past you'd know that as the queue built up, then you were getting towards the end of available fast passes.
  4. I don't want a monetary fast pass, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's going away. Too many people seem to think that Disney is going to get generous when they've been raising prices every year for over a decade and never have decreased.
  5. No, you get no free fast passes, you have to buy into the cheap tier and then pay even more for the premium rides.
  6. It's exactly how the old school one worked and helps prevent too much stacking and excessive standby lines.
1. WDW is not a primarily "day-of" set of parks. They are a planned out vacation destination. Waiting until the day-of is not going to work for the majority of those that go. That is why.
2. Using multiple phones is not the only drawback here. I don't care if it is just a tricket you have to collect from everyone and scan. Having part of the party running all over creation is just stupid. AND it causes issues when that "runner" tries to catch up to their group in a line the group already got into. Too many issues here.
3. We'd still rather choose.
4. Never said it was going away. I just dismissed your solution. ;)
5. Fair enough. But as you said, it is not going to go back to "free". Not that is was actually "free" before.
6. Still, it is too constricting. We like to be able to stack (limited in a way) and you'll have excessive standby lines regardless of ANY choice they make. There just is not enough capacity to handle the crowds right now.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Only works in person. Meaning, like the old fast past system, you have to walk to the ride and scan your phone/band/whatever.
Of all the iterations of FastPass, FastPass+, Genie+, and ILL, this was the worst feature to ever exist in any of them. Criss-crossing from Adventureland to Tomorrowland to Adventureland and back to Tomorrowland to get and eventually redeem a Space Mountain FastPass was miserable. More often than not, this resulted in each family having a designated "runner" who would grab everybody's ticket and run from machine to machine. Huge amounts of wasted steps for park traversal and splitting families up is a terrible system.

DCLcruiser

Of all the iterations of FastPass, FastPass+, Genie+, and ILL, this was the worst feature to ever exist in any of them. Criss-crossing from Adventureland to Tomorrowland to Adventureland and back to Tomorrowland to get and eventually redeem a Space Mountain FastPass was miserable. More often than not, this resulted in each family having a designated "runner" who would grab everybody's ticket and run from machine to machine. Huge amounts of wasted steps for park traversal and splitting families up is a terrible system.
🙋🏼‍♂️ I was The Runner.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
🙋🏼‍♂️ I was The Runner.
jelian-mercado-girl-same.gif

And there's a chocolate milk barf stain halfway between Kilimanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest to prove it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
jelian-mercado-girl-same.gif

And there's a chocolate milk barf stain halfway between Kilimanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest to prove it.

Stick with Diet Coke, it doesn't stain when it comes back up. 😁 I was the runner, and I never got tired of it because it was a great way to be able to knife through the crowds without needing to worry about your family catching up. Or it was a way to get more steps in an attempt to burn through the calories consumed on vacation.

FP was great... when you happened to find a machine that was left in "free" mode. :D "Oops, I accidentally pressed that button 6 times, darn it..."

TQQQ

Done.
all terrible ideas.......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom