Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jrb1979

That’s not very clear since Universal’s Express Pass is free for certain deluxe resort guests. Did the survey mention any free version or state what the cost would be?
My guess is how it's used. If Disney went to Universal's system I highly doubt resort guests would get it free as there as too many rooms to do that.

Personally I would love Express pass over Genie+ mainly due to the simplicity of it.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
My guess is how it's used. If Disney went to Universal's system I highly doubt resort guests would get it free as there as too many rooms to do that.

Personally I would love Express pass over Genie+ mainly due to the simplicity of it.
I would love a simple system, but the way we choose to vacation at WDW would not make it worth buying a hugely expensive express pass. We are fine with 3 rides a day because we do so many other things besides going on rides. I don't see paying hundreds of dollars to skip the line in our circumstances - it's not that we're cheap, but the value wouldn't be there. Right now, it's between Disney coming up with an acceptable version of a skip the line system and us finding a different place to vacation. (I'm currently researching cruises.) I'm sure others feel differently and that's certainly understandable. I'm just talking about our particular circumstances - standing in 1 to 2 hour long lines is just not an option for us.

Jrb1979

I would love a simple system, but the way we choose to vacation at WDW would not make it worth buying a hugely expensive express pass. We are fine with 3 rides a day because we do so many other things besides going on rides. I don't see paying hundreds of dollars to skip the line in our circumstances - it's not that we're cheap, but the value wouldn't be there. Right now, it's between Disney coming up with an acceptable version of a skip the line system and us finding a different place to vacation. (I'm currently researching cruises.) I'm sure others feel differently and that's certainly understandable. I'm just talking about our particular circumstances - standing in 1 to 2 hour long lines is just not an option for us.
Then there is my family. We would never pay for Disney tickets just to do 3 rides a day. I don't go an amusement/theme park for a laid back vacation. I have places like Myrtle Beach and Put-in Bay for that.

lentesta

Premium Member
That’s not very clear since Universal’s Express Pass is free for certain deluxe resort guests. Did the survey mention any free version or state what the cost would be?

Here are the relevant screencaps from the survey I referred to.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 189
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 172

DisneyCane

The paid line skip system at WDW should be done one of two ways. Either:

A) Make it very expensive, limit inventory and make it one guaranteed use per ride per day at any time (I think this is like UO express pass but I've never used it or even looked into it).

B) Make every Lightning Lane a la carte and purchased at entry to the queue with variable pricing based on current usage (payment method tied to account charged at tap in). A sign would say how long the LL wait is along with the cost for each person to enter the LL. The price would go from reasonable if almost nobody was using it to insane if there was a lot of usage and if enough people were willing to pay the insane price and the LL filled to capacity people would not be able to enter until some of the queue cleared out.

Personally, I think choice B would be the best system for Disney to maximize revenue while guests would have a simple to understand and use line skip system. You would walk up to RotR, see a standby wait of 120 minutes and a LL with a wait of 20 minutes for a cost of $25 per person. You decide if the $25 is worth saving 100 minutes. If it is worth it to you then you tap in and your credit card gets charged.

Patcheslee

If Disney ever chose a very that was similar to Express i.e. go whenever, I'd suspect they would limit it to included with stay for club level resort guests only.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Heh. Even accounting for prep time, the colonoscopy inconvenience is over in 36 hours, with only a $35 co-pay.
Huge variation between hospitals with regards to themeing quality as well, which could muck with results. Maybe the BMV wait system where you take the little paper number and can’t hear your number when it’s called is better. It oftentimes ends with you paying for something that it seems like you shouldn’t have to pay for as well.

CAV

Here are the relevant screencaps from the survey I referred to.
But they take those answers and twist them from what the survey taker meant to what Disney wants them to say.

Disney question: Would you like the ability to make a fast pass on the day of you visit?
Guest thought: Yes. Planning 60 days in advance is a hassle. Id like to pick my three fast passes on the day I am in the park.
Disney thought: They want to pay extra for something we used to give them for free. And we dont have to make it as good as the previous version.

Thepuma

Sorry, I just don't believe anyone would ever be happy paying $500+ for a family of four and only getting on 3 rides.

Chi84

Premium Member
Then there is my family. We would never pay for Disney tickets just to do 3 rides a day. I don't go an amusement/theme park for a laid back vacation. I have places like Myrtle Beach and Put-in Bay for that.
I wouldn't call what we do laid back. It's just a different way of doing things based on how much there is to do at WDW and how we like to split our days. For example, if it's really hot we often go to a water park in the morning/early afternoon, then hit a theme park late afternoon/evening. There are also boat rides, shopping at DS, checking out the entertainment at the resorts, going to the shows and doing some of the tours in the parks (and the trails at AK) etc. With FP+ it was easy to get 3 rides and schedule them around our other activities. It's not that we're laid back - just not particularly ride-centered.

Last edited:

Jeff4272

I honestly don't see them doing anything substantial like some of the previous posters have mentioned. The park reservation system was built on the FP+ engine.

Genie+ is a unique application on it's own, built from the ground up. Any near-term changes would have to be something that the application can support. The first attempt was to add inventory (M&Gs, parade viewing, etc.) They saw that didn't help too much. The second attempt at fixing the problems appears they will attempt to limit distribution. We will have to see how that plays out.

Down the line, I don't dismiss that resort guests will be able to chose something in advance, but I don't think the "3 per day" thing is ever coming back. They aren't rebuilding everything from scratch to create a pre-booking system where you can nab multiple attractions per day.

The logic I rolled out previously here isn't super complex and it would let you sleep in on your vacation. It could be put into play overnight.
So couldn’t FP+. And everyone knows how to use it. Just charge for it and done

Jrb1979

It’s terrible. You are on your phone WAY more than FP+
It depends on how you used FP+. I know many just booked their 3 for each day. If that was how you used it then yes Genie+ you would be on you phone more.

You shouldn't be on your phone much since you can book another LL for 2 hours or after you use your first one.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
It depends on how you used FP+. I know many just booked their 3 for each day. If that was how you used it then yes Genie+ you would be on you phone more.

You shouldn't be on your phone much since you can book another LL for 2 hours or after you use your first one.
The difference to me was this with FP+ when you used it after your initial 3 say it was a very quick refresh and your options were right there & you can simply choose. Genie is awful where options are hours away if that so its a constant refresh to find someone anything that suits you.

pdude81

This more or less exists. It's Club 33. If you can get through the wait list and pass the screenings, It's a minimum of 33k up front and 15k annual dues. Reportedly the buy in is much more expensive now but I am not privy to such information. I don't think they would or should cannibalize their special programs like 33 and Plaid tours for something like express pass when the consumers have proved that we'll pay for whatever product they put out. I understand you only said you'd love to see that as opposed to suggesting they should, but IMO it'll never happen.

My expectation here is that they'll limit the program, thereby increasing it's demand, while letting it pay for increased capex, which increases the number of passes they sell as capacity improves. This all goes out the window if there is a real recession

mysto

I've read a couple times here that changes are coming to G+. Does anyone know when and what the changes will be? They must come with updated software, so the IT dev pipeline must know.

Might need a thread for this...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom