Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jeff4272

I was actually surprised how much more planning that G+ required. The need to grab low capacity rides with your first few selections, no matter the time, wasn’t something I was expecting. To understand which rides get full first and how to manage the parks without doing space mt followed by splash followed by dumbo then big thunder was something I had forgotten about, thanks to being able to pick my FPs in the comfort of my home vs at the theme park and grabbing what came up in fear that it I didn’t it would disappear.

I was on my phone more, mostly because we were looking to ride certain rides that had “flashes” of availability.

Genie+ takes away yet another of the on-site perks. And between G+ and park reservations, there is zero spontaneous park days.

The 30-90 day reservation for FP was dumb, no reason the couldn’t have been 5/10 or something much closer and after they announce “final” park hours. (And the 60 day restaurant restaurants are much better vs 180)

But again, our days without G+ suffered, and there is no value buying it for AK or EPCOT and studios on busy days.
I agree 100% with this post

Genie+ was designed for more spontaneity but I think it actually does opposite.........You still need a reservation and now you dont know if you're going to be able to get on the headliners without 2+ hour waits until the morning of and thats for every day...........If you book park pass and dining in advance, why not let rides in advance?

Disney Glimpses

LOL.......I'm just trying to stir up some conversation.....I will stop trying to antagonize and let me try and lay this out realistically

1) I dont think that Genie+ is worth because the price is too high, but because of the functionality of it.......It's very inefficient b of having to do it early every day, selling out so quick, not holding return times and all the other stuff that has been mentioned......I would have gladly paid $15pp for FP+

2) I think they need to return perks to resort guests/AP holders, etc.......there is very little incentive compared to what it used to be.....

3) Genie+ plus ILL are not worth the cost and that's because it used to be free

4) My gold standard was FP+ also......I would rank as follows: FP+, FP, no line skipping and Genie+ last

5) I cannot find the story but I have read (anyone have data on this they can find?) that less than 10% of people rope drop, thus meaning if you dont rope drop you are losing out on the benefits of being there early vs those of being able to pre book
The price is too low re: "selling out so quick." The price should be raised substantially to not have such a drastic effect on standby.

Dutch Inn '76

We just returned from our umteenth trip to WDW, and G+ is a waste of money in every park except the MK. There's just not enough attractions in the other parks to justify its use.

Hollywood Studios desperately needs some smaller people-eater attractions. It seems like everything there is an E-ticket with a 90-180 minute wait. :(

Disstevefan1

We just returned from our umteenth trip to WDW, and G+ is a waste of money in every park except the MK. There's just not enough attractions in the other parks to justify its use.

Hollywood Studios desperately needs some smaller people-eater attractions. It seems like everything there is an E-ticket with a 90-180 minute wait. :(
Well it's good to see WDW is getting back to normal after the pandemic :)

JMcMahonEsq

Who likes it?

I haven't read one person who LIKES it

I don't know anyone in their right mind that LIKES paying for something that used to be free

I have read that people tolerate it because they have no choice. And that's because the system doesn't work, making the standby lines even longer than they were with FP+

I understand some people might LIKE certain aspects of it better than FP+ (like no advanced planning) but the drawbacks FAR outweigh those aspects (no rerides, pre 7am EVERY day, on phone all day, can't choose return times, the cost, etc. etc. etc.)

That's not opinion, that's fact........

So if you want to be an apologist, than by all means be one, but get off your high horse and stop pretending the Genie+ is a good thing, because it isn't
I love it. And it’s so much better than FP+! There are no weight times on the Lines we use, as opposed to weighting in FP+ lines even when you had fast pass. I get the flexibility to change my schedule every day, as opposed to having to be locked into my schedule 60 days out (really 180 days as back during FP+ you were making dining reservations that far out.). There are also less people using it than FP+ as before it was offered for free to every guest, not Those that pay and take time to figure out how to get the most out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi84

Premium Member
I love it. And it’s so much better than FP+! There are no weight times on the Lines we use, as opposed to weighting in FP+ lines even when you had fast pass. I get the flexibility to change my schedule every day, as opposed to having to be locked into my schedule 60 days out (really 180 days as back during FP+ you were making dining reservations that far out.). There are also less people using it than FP+ as before it was offered for free to every guest, not Those that pay and take time to figure out how to get the most out of it.

That’s not opinion, that’s at Fact!! Is that how it works, I just say what I like and then it’s a fact bc I say so?

Seriously your sticht is old and tired (it must not like waking up in the morning either).
If Disney is going to impose weight times, they better at least let me schedule mine in the morning before breakfast . . .

MurphyJoe

If Disney is going to impose weight times, they better at least let me schedule mine in the morning before breakfast . . .

Then there'll be another after breakfast. It's Disney's Buffet Pricing+ where you only pay $29/pound of weight gained between entering the buffet and leaving. Please note a credit card or Magic Band with charging privileges is required to access the restroom as you'll be charged for the gained weight before the door unlocks. Using facial recognition, your buffet weight will be updated upon leaving the loo.

vikescaper

Then there'll be another after breakfast. It's Disney's Buffet Pricing+ where you only pay $29/pound of weight gained between entering the buffet and leaving. Please note a credit card or Magic Band with charging privileges is required to access the restroom as you'll be charged for the gained weight before the door unlocks. Using facial recognition, your buffet weight will be updated upon leaving the loo.
Don’t give them any ideas! 🤣

On topic, I was given a gift card earlier in the week so I figured that I would try Genie+ at DHS again. It worked fine in the morning but by maybe 2 pm, the only choices available were for shows and meet and greets. I wasn’t too upset since it wasn’t my own hard earned money I spent.

DisneyDreamer08

Just venting another annoyance. I’m not huge on vloggers but I do watch Allears. Molly recently did a video on having the best day at MK by using a combination of standby and LL. From day one, her biggest tip has always been to refresh if a ride or time doesn’t come up that you’re looking for. She was trying to get a LL for I think HM at a certain time. She literally sat doing nothing but refreshing for 20 minutes until the time she wanted popped up. No parent in the history of parents has time to sit and do that and nothing else for 20 minutes. I really wish they would just stop advertising the refresh option as a normal way to use Genie+.

Chip Chipperson

Just venting another annoyance. I’m not huge on vloggers but I do watch Allears. Molly recently did a video on having the best day at MK by using a combination of standby and LL. From day one, her biggest tip has always been to refresh if a ride or time doesn’t come up that you’re looking for. She was trying to get a LL for I think HM at a certain time. She literally sat doing nothing but refreshing for 20 minutes until the time she wanted popped up. No parent in the history of parents has time to sit and do that and nothing else for 20 minutes. I really wish they would just stop advertising the refresh option as a normal way to use Genie+.

20 minutes?!?! You could be halfway through the queue by then.

rawisericho

I have such a crush on Molly, but man, that “hack” makes no sense.

Ayla

When you're in the parks almost every day of the week, you can waste time like that. It is not a viable strategy for the typical visitor.

Gearbm95

So is G+ essentially useless at DHS? Was on at 6:55am this morning, refreshed at 6:59am and was in at 7am, all ILL's for ROTR were already gone, along with SDD, and TOT was showing 4pm as the soonest reservation. Grabbed a RNRC reservation G+ for 11:15am, rode Star Tours (25min standby line) and saw Indy upon arriving at the park at 9am, before going to RNRC.

Literally in line for RNRC right now, tried to grab another G+ reservation at 11am (after 120min rule), however, all that's left are shows, Swirling Saucers (1:40pm), Star Tours (2:30pm), and that's it.

ROTR, TOT, MMRR, TSM, and SDD all have at minimum 90min waits right now. Can someone explain to me how this new system is good and whom its good for? We originally planned on hopping at 3pm to Epcot, but by that time we'll have made it onto Star Tours, Indy show, and rode RMRC before our 12:15 Brown Derby reservation. After lunch we'll have time to hit one more headliner before we go to Epcot.

So in 5hrs we'll have rode Star Tours, RMRC, saw Indy, ate lunch, and probably going to attempt MMRR. So for an additional $75, how did G+ help our group of 5? Also, Frozen, Remy, and Test Track are sold out of G+ already for the day.

Was this system created to ensure park hopping is now useless when it comes to rides? This sucks....

TikibirdLand

So is G+ essentially useless at DHS? Was on at 6:55am this morning, refreshed at 6:59am and was in at 7am, all ILL's for ROTR were already gone, along with SDD, and TOT was showing 4pm as the soonest reservation. Grabbed a RNRC reservation G+ for 11:15am, rode Star Tours (25min standby line) and saw Indy upon arriving at the park at 9am, before going to RNRC.

Literally in line for RNRC right now, tried to grab another G+ reservation at 11am (after 120min rule), however, all that's left are shows, Swirling Saucers (1:40pm), Star Tours (2:30pm), and that's it.

ROTR, TOT, MMRR, TSM, and SDD all have at minimum 90min waits right now. Can someone explain to me how this new system is good and whom its good for? We originally planned on hopping at 3pm to Epcot, but by that time we'll have made it onto Star Tours, Indy show, and rode RMRC before our 12:15 Brown Derby reservation. After lunch we'll have time to hit one more headliner before we go to Epcot.

So in 5hrs we'll have rode Star Tours, RMRC, saw Indy, ate lunch, and probably going to attempt MMRR. So for an additional $75, how did G+ help our group of 5? Also, Frozen, Remy, and Test Track are sold out of G+ already for the day.

Was this system created to ensure park hopping is now useless when it comes to rides? This sucks....
I definitely would go to guest relations to get your money back on that. What a rotten tool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom