Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

GimpYancIent

You must be joking if you think FL has better jobs than NY if you are thinking of salaries.
It's not the salary it's the deductions for city / local, state (New York has not seen a tax it did not like) and federal taxes then there is the rent / mortgage. There are more costs to deduct from the remaining pittance. Yeah, many move at first opportunity money and financial security talk loudly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
New York City which is a black hole for resources financial and otherwise

Ok...

In 2012, the New York metropolitan area generated a gross metropolitan product (GMP) of over US$1.33 trillion with a population of 20.3 million people. The Combined Statistical Area[5] produced a GMP of over US$1.55 trillion. Both are ranked first nationally by a wide margin and being roughly equivalent to the GDP of South Korea at less than half its population.[6]

Lilofan

Have a colleague who just spent 1M on a 800 Sq Ft loft in Manhattan, for quality of life its nuts but as a investment well no one will ever do better in the market.
Had family live in those hard wood floor apts in NYC. I thought horses lived upstairs from all the clackity clack noise throughout the day and night. How one can sleep living in an apt in NYC midtown is a miracle with traffic noise 24/7. Need about 10mg of melatonin to help. There is nothing like living in your own home ( doing your own laundry at home instead of going to laundromat) and no neighbors living above and below you like in an apt. The CA transplants relocating to FL will probably move into bigger digs compared to where they were living in Southern California.

Last edited:

skypilot2922

Ok...

In 2012, the New York metropolitan area generated a gross metropolitan product (GMP) of over US$1.33 trillion with a population of 20.3 million people. The Combined Statistical Area[5] produced a GMP of over US$1.55 trillion. Both are ranked first nationally by a wide margin and being roughly equivalent to the GDP of South Korea at less than half its population.[6]

which encompasses the counties Suffolk (basically Long Island), Westchester and Nassau The Borough of NY consumes more resources than it produces, However the SMSA as a whole is a net gain to NY. which is why I said NYC is a black hole for resources, Heck under Dinkins it went bankrupt! and seems to be heading for bankruptcy once again under DiBlasio.

Lil Copter Cap

And yet Florida schools are scoring better results on tests measuring ability. Wages are not anemic. A McDonald’s worker in Tampa is paid nearly 15/hour plus benefits. It goes up from there.
To be fair, most McDonalds are franchised and, as a result, do not follow the same base pay nationally. Orlando McDonalds starts at $11 near my neck of the woods.

The cost of labor (not cost of living) in central Florida, at least, rules the wages and salaries. Having moved from NYC to Orlando, I still much prefer FL over NY as a place to live. I just wish a living salary wasn't so hard to come by...but the same could easily be said about NY.

DonaldDoleWhip

Had family live in those hard wood floor apts in NYC. I thought horses lived upstairs from all the clackity clack noise throughout the day and night. How one can sleep living in an apt in NYC midtown is a miracle with traffic noise 24/7. Need about 10mg of melatonin to help. There is nothing like living in your own home ( doing your own laundry at home instead of going to laundromat) and no neighbors living above and below you like in an apt. The CA transplants relocating to FL will probably move into bigger digs compared to where they were living in Southern California.
Having family in NY's Upper East Side (in a brownstone, no less) and living in South OC, I can't disagree with this at all.

Will those new digs in Florida be as charming? Not guaranteed, but depending on the income level, it's very possible.

Also, to be fair, there are plenty of dwellings in NYC and SoCal that completely lack charm, in addition to the other nuisances. I think if one can get past the weather, smaller restaurant scene, loss of scenery/architecture, and having to drive everywhere, quality of life could be a net increase.

Lilofan

Having family in NY's Upper East Side (in a brownstone, no less) and living in South OC, I can't disagree with this at all.

Will those new digs in Florida be as charming? Not guaranteed, but depending on the income level, it's very possible.

Also, to be fair, there are plenty of dwellings in NYC and SoCal that completely lack charm, in addition to the other nuisances. I think if one can get past the weather, smaller restaurant scene, loss of scenery/architecture, and having to drive everywhere, quality of life could be a net increase.
In Central FL, it is brand new or newish cookie clutter homes with little yard space or one that lives in older neighborhoods . It helps to be in a gated community to hopefully keep the riff raff out to also come equipped with clubhouse, pools, tennis courts , playgrounds . etc. A few years ago, brand new gated community 4-5 bedroom homes with Mediterranean style red roofs started popping up by MCO and Lake Nona right by the 417 toll road starting at $500K and up. It is good that a number of areas are fenced off also to prevent the gators from nearby bodies of water from making a surprise appearance but no guarantees. I've visited Corona Del Mar when family lived there. Beautiful area, no need for AC and incredible weather.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

To be fair, most McDonalds are franchised and, as a result, do not follow the same base pay nationally. Orlando McDonalds starts at $11 near my neck of the woods.

The cost of labor (not cost of living) in central Florida, at least, rules the wages and salaries. Having moved from NYC to Orlando, I still much prefer FL over NY as a place to live. I just wish a living salary wasn't so hard to come by...but the same could easily be said about NY.
Nowadays you can work for a company in any state or country from home. Free lance work is easier than ever with apps like Fiverr. There’s lot’s of money to be made.

UCF

Random, but has it been established if Disney will be moving into existing offices in Lake Nona or if it will be in buildings not yet constructed?
Nothing official, but it is rumored Disney will be moving into this 8 story building that is currently under construction:

Lilofan

Nothing official, but it is rumored Disney will be moving into this 8 story building that is currently under construction:
That Lake Nona Performance Club looks like an incredible place to work out, well worth the $98 per month membership!

UCF

Anyone know Why aren’t they making use of the buildings in Celebration that are currently sitting vacant??
Disney likely wants a higher end, modern campus then what Celebration has in it. The average household income in Celebration is $20k less then Lake Nona. The amenities and other companies locating in Lake Nona are top notch. It has much easier access to MCO.

bcoachable

Disney likely wants a higher end, modern campus then what Celebration has in it. The average household income in Celebration is $20k less then Lake Nona. The amenities and other companies locating in Lake Nona are top notch. It has much easier access to MCO.
Gotcha- Thanks

ArmoredRodent

And did you notice the "biodefenses" in that building?
"groundbreaking bio-defense solutions, including ultraviolet (UV) light and air filtration technologies, sensors and devices aimed at eliminating airborne pathogens, and large-scale air and surface sanitization."

bpiper

And did you notice the "biodefenses" in that building?
"groundbreaking bio-defense solutions, including ultraviolet (UV) light and air filtration technologies, sensors and devices aimed at eliminating airborne pathogens, and large-scale air and surface sanitization."

Wow, Disney is opening a Level IV bio-lab.... The amount of permits and paperwork is tremendous.

and I know just were they are getting their lab rats....

WDW

J/K

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom