Trip Report Pineapple Princess Packed Her Patience

Hel-lo there! It's been awhile since my last trip report, so a brief introduction may be in order. Here are the participants in this trip:
IMG_5679.JPG

Myself: PineapplePrincess, a fifth grade teacher who survived this "unprecedented" year.
Hubby: MSUJafar who will go by E in this report. He's been working from home since the beginning of the pandemic and is about to return to the office for a few days a week starting tomorrow.🙌
Our DD23 did not join us for this trip since she got her first "big girl" job and doesn't have vacation time yet.

We stayed at Old Key West. It is our home resort, but we've only stayed there for a weekend trip back in 2011. While we really loved the theming here, transportation was not great. The boat to Disney Springs is currently not running which was a big bummer.
We arrived on June 20 via a car service that provided a stop at Publix. Unfortunately, our room was not quite ready even though it was past 4:00, so we got dropped off with all our stuff at the Hospitality House.
When I checked in, I was told that there was a problem with the room we were originally assigned, but they had another room ready to go for us.
We ended up in room 1310. The building was right across the street from the Hospitality House which was convenient, but not the best for morning buses. More on that later. Here is the view from our room:
DSC05561.JPG

Not bad, I guess? We really don't know since we've never stayed there before. The golf course was closed, so we didn't see any golfers, but E did spot a golf ball which he retrieved. Who says there are no free souvenirs at Disney?! Here's another free souvenir that was on the table when we arrived:
DSC05560.JPG

Nice touch! I didn't get any room pics. :rolleyes: Traveling takes a lot out of us, and we had a dinner reservation to get ready for.
I have no pics, but we went to Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria. It was good, but we probably won't go back because of a "situation" that occurred.
I didn't realize there was a dress code and E wore what he would wear to California Grill: a nice pair of shorts, a golf shirt, and nice leather flip flops. I mean it's summer in Florida...that seems like a reasonable outfit, right? Wrong! The woman who sat us was new, and didn't say a word.
After we were seated, the manager stopped by to inform E that we could stay since we were already seated. However, they don't allow shorts or flip flops so the hostess should not have seated us. He also asked that E not use the restroom during the meal to avoid them being questioned by other diners as to why he was allowed without the proper attire! In hindsight, we probably should have left. We felt like scolded children! However, it had been a long day, we were starving, and we had really been looking forward to this meal. The food was very good, but we were left with a bad taste in our mouths after being scolded.
We skulked out after our meal looking forward to the next day's breakfast at Kona Cafe.

Loco_driver

Haven’t seen a TR from you in a while. Glad to see you made it back! Sorry about the experience at bull and bear. I can’t stand when places have a strict dress code. I understand having a dress code to keep an “upscale” feel, but it’s a little annoying when they nitpick.

krause

I wore cutoff shorts and a tank top my first time to California grill 😳 also had a baby in a stroller at our table. I didn’t get scolded by any of the staff there but definitely felt like I should have been after getting more into reading trip reports here and seeing how dressed up people get and shame people dressed like I was! 🤣. At the end of the day it’s a restaurant... at a theme park. Ridiculous that they said not to use the bathroom that’s crazy.

coachwnh

I wore cutoff shorts and a tank top my first time to California grill 😳 also had a baby in a stroller at our table. I didn’t get scolded by any of the staff there but definitely felt like I should have been after getting more into reading trip reports here and seeing how dressed up people get and shame people dressed like I was! 🤣. At the end of the day it’s a restaurant... at a theme park. Ridiculous that they said not to use the bathroom that’s crazy.
Crazy, right? About as dressed as I get is a collared shirt. T-shirts, shorts, and sandals-sneakers are the norm here. Only time I dressed up (actually wore a suit) was at Victoria and Albert’s.

ArmoredRodent

Ah, dress codes. Back in the 1960's, a time of upheaval in America, my friends and I successfully organized the public high school students of Los Angeles County against the dress code that prohibited girls' hems above the knee. Girls would have to kneel down and the vice-principal, usually, would take a ruler and measure. Too short? You were sent back home to change.

Much older now, I understand the situation in posh restaurants, and they do warn people about their dress code on their website (it's buried at the very bottom of the "About" home page):
ATTIRE
Guests of Bull & Bear are considered one with the unique design and style of this famed restaurant; and therefore should wear attire that is worthy of the sophisticated aesthetic. Please no shorts, hats, flip flops, or athletic clothing.

But, seriously, barring someone from using the bathroom during or after a meal in a place that serves drinks is just cruel. They tried that in NYC last December (barring people dining outside from using the inside restrooms), and city officials had to roll back the rule within days. The staff broke their own rule and the hostess probably got reprimanded for not upholding the "one with the unique design and style of this famed restaurant" standard; they should live with it for the short period you would be there. After all, if Sylvia Plath can eat salad with her fingers in a NYC restaurant, you should be able to eat in a Wall Street-style restaurant without risking kidney damage.

Songbird76

That was pretty poor customer service on the part of the manager. Sure, they have a dress code, but that's down to the employee who seated you. And if other customers complained, they can easily say the hostess was new and didn't have all the rules down yet. It's really rude to scold customers for THEIR mistake and then put the burden on you to fix it. Have you considered writing to their corporate offices about the behavior of the manager? Or even just writing a review on trip advisor or something? If there was a problem with your attire, and you were seated anyway, the issue should have been taken up with the person who made the mistake, not with you.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Haven’t seen a TR from you in a while. Glad to see you made it back! Sorry about the experience at bull and bear. I can’t stand when places have a strict dress code. I understand having a dress code to keep an “upscale” feel, but it’s a little annoying when they nitpick.
Glad you're following along!
Honestly, I don't think anyone is looking at other people. Everyone is focused on their own experience.
So sorry to hear about the dining experience. As you were already seated, I don’t think the manager should have come over to say anything to you, as it sounds like it only served to embarrass you.
It did, and we won't be back.
ATTIRE
Guests of Bull & Bear are considered one with the unique design and style of this famed restaurant; and therefore should wear attire that is worthy of the sophisticated aesthetic. Please no shorts, hats, flip flops, or athletic clothing.
I know it was my mistake for not reading this. However, in our defense, we ate there last year and no dress code was enforced. I think it was due to the fact that it was a temporary location due to covid, but we didn't know that at the time.
You should have met me and Em at the Regal Eagle for dinner on your first night. No scolding from us!
That would have been fun! I'm always worried about encroaching on other people's trips though.
Looking forward to following along and very sorry for your first night at Disney experience!:(
Thank you! We didn't let it ruin our trip.
That was pretty poor customer service on the part of the manager. Sure, they have a dress code, but that's down to the employee who seated you. And if other customers complained, they can easily say the hostess was new and didn't have all the rules down yet. It's really rude to scold customers for THEIR mistake and then put the burden on you to fix it. Have you considered writing to their corporate offices about the behavior of the manager? Or even just writing a review on trip advisor or something? If there was a problem with your attire, and you were seated anyway, the issue should have been taken up with the person who made the mistake, not with you.
I agree that it was bad form on the part of the manager, but we were so taken aback. I almost thought he was joking at first! I'm non-confrontational so I probably won't write to corporate, but maybe after a glass of wine I'll change my mind! ;)

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Monday, June 21
When planning this trip, we knew we wanted to have breakfast at Kona twice, so we scheduled them for our Epcot days since it doesn't open until 11:00. Still, the earliest we were able to get was 10:40.
We took the bus to MK and a boat over to the Poly.

DSC05569.JPG

DSC05570.JPG

DSC05574.JPG

DSC05576.JPG

DSC05581.JPG

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but it's the first time I saw the hidden Mickeys in the knots.
DSC05582.JPG

I was not on my game yet and I forgot to take a picture of our breakfast. We always share the Pineapple/Macadamia pancakes with extra butter and pineapple sauce, bacon, an extra side of ham and a pressed pot of Kona coffee. Here's an old photo:
DSC01291.JPG

The press pots are no longer clear, and the server doesn't press it for you anymore. They just tell you to wait 2 minutes and do it yourself!
It was so nice to relax and enjoy our first breakfast of the trip without rushing. We knew we weren't going to make it to Epcot until after it opened and we were surprisingly okay with it.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Monday, June 21 continued
We caught a bus from Poly to Epcot. According to my notes (yes, I took notes this time!), we arrived around 11:30. We had renewed our APs, but didn't realize they weren't activated yet. So after a mini ❤️ attack, we got it taken care of at guest services in no time.
We headed straight for Soarin'. The posted wait time was 50 minutes, but we actually waited 30.
DSC05588.JPG

We were seated in Concourse A, row 1!
If I'm remembering correctly, this was the day after cucumber-gate on LWTL. It was our next destination with a posted time of 30 minutes. Actual wait time was 20. I'm happy to report that everyone stayed safely and politely in the boat.
DSC05590.JPG

DSC05591.JPG
DSC05592.JPG
DSC05593.JPG

We headed over to WS. We saw Joy and stopped at the Butterfly Garden on the way.
DSC05594.JPG
DSC05602.JPG

DSC05598.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So nice to see a trip report from you! I'm glad we ran into each other and that you said something. I rarely recognize people at Disney or even at home, I get wrapped up in my own little world. Crazy about the Bull and Bear but I don't blame you for staying since you were so hungry. I probably would have gone to the bathroom though multiple times after being asked not to though! ;)

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
So nice to see a trip report from you! I'm glad we ran into each other and that you said something. I rarely recognize people at Disney or even at home, I get wrapped up in my own little world. Crazy about the Bull and Bear but I don't blame you for staying since you were so hungry. I probably would have gone to the bathroom though multiple times after being asked not to though! ;)
It was so nice to meet you and Brad! I'm pretty shy, but I told myself that if I saw someone from here, I would say "hi"! After we met, I was hoping that you didn't think I was terribly rude for not taking a picture. I can't wait to read your report!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It was so nice to meet you and Brad! I'm pretty shy, but I told myself that if I saw someone from here, I would say "hi"! After we met, I was hoping that you didn't think I was terribly rude for not taking a picture. I can't wait to read your report!

I was just glad you said hi! My report will be starting soon. I haven't gone through all my pictures yet.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Still Monday, June 21
I wanted to do the DVC Scenic Selfies so we made our way to Canada to scan the QR code. I will NOT be posting our pics as I am terrible at selfies with my phone. @brifraz 's photos are so much better than ours!
Since we were in Canada, we wanted to see Canada Far and Wide before it closes. It was a nice break from the heat.
We saw this cute pair on our way to the Festival Center:
DSC05604.JPG
DSC05605.JPG

We enjoyed the Key Lime Tart.
DSC05609.JPG

We then proceeded to share a variety of drinks with some snacks and sights sprinkled in.
DSC05612.JPG
DSC05618.JPG

We'll see YOU in October! 🤩
DSC05623.JPG

Pineapple Sake....not a fan!
DSC05626.JPG

Italian Margarita...soooo good! Clearly there was a smudge on my lens since I don't have a big mole on my wrist! 🤣
I hopped in line at Lotus House to get the Cream Cheese Crab Wontons and Chicken Skewers while E went to Lotus Blossom Cafe to get some Egg Rolls and Pot Stickers to round out our meal.
DSC05629.JPG
DSC05630.JPG

Both of these were dee-licious and I would have them again. The egg rolls are pretty good, but I would NOT recommend the pot stickers!
DSC05631.JPG

Fiesta Margarita! We usually love this, but the red part tasted weird. Of course, we drank it anyways! We went into the Mexico pavilion to see if there was a Fiesta Hoy!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Indeed there was! Along with some 3 dimensional Caballeros.
DSC05633.JPG
DSC05635.JPG

As we were taking our Gran Fiesta Tour, the heavens opened up. So we ended up waiting out the storm with hundreds of our closest friends. I became very familiar with these two!
DSC05636.JPG

We considered Frozen Ever After, but the wait was 80 minutes and appeared to be every bit of that.
As we meandered out of WS, we noticed that the wait times for Soarin' and SSE were pretty short. I did not put the posted wait times in my notes, but both were walk ons.
DSC05638.JPG

Blurry, but still groovy!
DSC05642.JPG

Our future looks wet!
Had this taken on the way out. As much as we wanted to wait until it was dark to get everything all lit up, we were done. I think you can tell by the look on E's face!
IMG_5687.JPG

We needed some dinner, so we boarded a bus to Saratoga Springs and walked to DS to City Works. It was a long trek in the rain, but we enjoy the food there and they were able to seat us right away. E had the Nashville Hot Chicken Wrap and I had the Filet Mignon Sliders. Our meal hit the spot and we called it a night. Heading to MK in the morning!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Tuesday, June 22 MK
We headed to Magic Kingdom this morning and decided that Jungle Cruise would be our first ride of the day. While we arrived before rope drop, we were detained by a chatty PP photographer. He was very nice and teary eyed because apparently today was the first day the opening spiel was played. I cannot confirm if this was a fact.
Jungle Cruise had a posted 10 minute wait, but we ended up waiting 30. :confused: I think they had to run an empty boat because someone threw something in the water.
DSC05648.JPG
DSC05653.JPG

Skipper Kaitlin was pretty funny. When she told us her name, she looked at her nametag and said, "I'm skipper Niltiak." I don't think anyone who wasn't at the front of the boat realized she was saying her name backwards.
DSC05654.JPG

A got me these ears for Mother's Day this year, and I just love them. :inlove: The bow snaps on and I also have a silver one. The ears are magnetic so you can change them out.
I had seen on some vlogs that if you should mobile order your meals early in the day because the lunch times sometimes "sell out", so I ordered some chicken nachos from Pecos Bill's with a pick up time of 11:00-11:30 while we were waiting in line for JC.
Pirates was posted at 15 minutes, but we waited 10.
IMG_5684.JPG

Then it was on to Haunted Mansion which was a walk on. Stretching room was in full effect!
DSC05658.JPG

A works with a guy named Martin, so I think that's why I took this photo. We were given the wrong ride photo for this one.
Philharmagic was next. Our timing was great, we walked in 1 minute before the theater doors opened. There was a lot of ooohing and aaahing, excitement and giggles from the crowd. It brought a tear to my eye!
The DVC kiosk for the scenic selfies was in Tomorrowland, so we made our way over there. I didn't realize that you only have to scan the QR code at one park. :rolleyes: There was no one there anyway, so we were very excited to ride the People Mover with just a 5 minute wait!
DSC05662.JPG
DSC05664.JPG

A's Mother's Day gift to me from 2020. I received a LOT of compliments on it! She a great gift giver!
DSC05663.JPG

Buzz was posted at 25 minutes. Actual wait time was 15 minutes. My score was dismal as usual.
It was about time for lunch, so E went to Pecos Bill's while I waited at Westward Ho for some corn dog nuggets. I was treated to some Tink while I was in line.
DSC05671.JPG

I did not photograph our meal. Still trying to get back into the swing of things I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom