runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend

For anyone who has done the virtual 5k , has anyone else got their medal yet? I’ve gotten the other medals that I’ve ordered but not this one. I haven’t seen any indication it’s been shipped yet. Maybe I’m just being impatient?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Surprise runDisney page update!
No theme or race info on the page (very plain), but they did change it over to 2023 race weekend!!!

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Surprise runDisney page update!
No theme or race info on the page (very plain), but they did change it over to 2023 race weekend!!!
Nice catch. Was hoping for some teaser art, maybe they can tease the distances and themes soon. I am eyeing to run this in person depending on what is announced.

EDIT: Anyone here have predictions on what the themes and distances could be?

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
So, with the Club rD registration just a week away, it’s got me speculating on themes (and potential delays).

This was posted yesterday:
543BE9D1-E515-47BF-AA28-34BF4AFFEABD.jpeg

Possible Monorail and/or transportation theme for one or more Springtime races? (Lots of good potential accompanying themes could be available. My votes would include a PeopleMover race or challenge and something with a Star Wars vehicle, the Landspeeder might be appropriate!)

I usually wouldn’t give random runDisney posts much thought, but they did have these subtle nods to the Tower of Terror 10-miler in Sept last year before any announcements were made.
367A246E-BA79-4BB7-B165-4BE97D01333C.pngCBFD5366-8945-470A-B2B6-D96BFEE8A879.png

Also, getting a little nervous that we are a week from Club registration and no real announcements, website updates, or social media reminders have been made. Reminds me of last year when registration was supposed to open Sept 21 but was postponed with references to that date being quietly removed a couple of weeks beforehand. Then the theme was finally announced Nov 3, with registration opening Dec 7 (Club) and Dec 9 (regular).

I’m hoping the (as of now) lack of info does not mean another delay like last year, but recent history of messes with registrations has got me a bit worried! 😁

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
So, with the Club rD registration just a week away, it’s got me speculating on themes (and potential delays).

This was posted yesterday:
View attachment 659106

Possible Monorail and/or transportation theme for one or more Springtime races? (Lots of good potential accompanying themes could be available. My votes would include a PeopleMover race or challenge and something with a Star Wars vehicle, the Landspeeder might be appropriate!)

I usually wouldn’t give random runDisney posts much thought, but they did have these subtle nods to the Tower of Terror 10-miler in Sept last year before any announcements were made.
View attachment 659107View attachment 659108

Also, getting a little nervous that we are a week from Club registration and no real announcements, website updates, or social media reminders have been made. Reminds me of last year when registration was supposed to open Sept 21 but was postponed with references to that date being quietly removed a couple of weeks beforehand. Then the theme was finally announced Nov 3, with registration opening Dec 7 (Club) and Dec 9 (regular).

I’m hoping the (as of now) lack of info does not mean another delay like last year, but recent history of messes with registrations has got me a bit worried! 😁
I’m also surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. I am undecided if I will be running this in person or virtually. Very interested to see what the theming looks like.

Couple of ideas I’d like to see:

More WDW based races (perhaps transportation) as said. More attraction based races limitless potential in terms of theming.

Pixar Themed Race Weekend - a lot they could do here.

Marvel Themed Race Weekend

Pirates Race Weekend - We have princess why not pirates? I’ve actually been playing around with this idea on my head, this could be really unique in terms of theming and medals.

Pandora Race Weekend- As a fan of Avatar, this theme could give us very unique medals and themes (glow in the dark?). Cool ideas for the courses as well around Animal Kingdom.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I’m also surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. I am undecided if I will be running this in person or virtually. Very interested to see what the theming looks like.

Couple of ideas I’d like to see:

More WDW based races (perhaps transportation) as said. More attraction based races limitless potential in terms of theming.

Pixar Themed Race Weekend - a lot they could do here.

Marvel Themed Race Weekend

Pirates Race Weekend - We have princess why not pirates? I’ve actually been playing around with this idea on my head, this could be really unique in terms of theming and medals.

Pandora Race Weekend- As a fan of Avatar, this theme could give us very unique medals and themes (glow in the dark?). Cool ideas for the courses as well around Animal Kingdom.

The Marvel theme would be extremely limited due to Marvel's contract with Universal, so I doubt WDW would do anything themed to Marvel.

GimpYancIent

The DL run Disney events have been on hiatus for a long time there were Marvel character themed races there. East of the Mississippi however there have not been and there won't be Marvel themed events due to issues with Universal. That said, run Disney could return the Star Wars events (hope, hope, hope) or go different and have Indiana Jones themed events (that would be a change). It would be nice if the DL races were returned along with the Coast-to-Coast Challenge. Right now, the offerings are Meh.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The DL run Disney events have been on hiatus for a long time there were Marvel character themed races there. East of the Mississippi however there have not been and there won't be Marvel themed events due to issues with Universal. That said, run Disney could return the Star Wars events (hope, hope, hope) or go different and have Indiana Jones themed events (that would be a change). It would be nice if the DL races were returned along with the Coast-to-Coast Challenge. Right now, the offerings are Meh.

An Indiana Jones themed race would be nice.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
An Indiana Jones themed race would be nice.
Now that they’ve done the throwback races, I’d love to see them do the yearly surprise, but with some consistency with some characters involved. Basically a new theme each year, but with a consistent crossover character like they have done with Mickey, Donald, or Goofy dressing them up in various crossover themes in the past.

Something like a:
- Figment 5K
- an OrangeBird 1🍊K
- a Mickey 10 Miler, and
- an impressive challenge medal that is purely on that year’s theme (without necessarily any crossover)

All three of those characters are popular and proven to be wildly successful from a merchandise aspect (how many hours will one person wait for a popcorn bucket? Imagine how many would clamor for a figment race, medal, and exclusive merch?).

Plus all three lend themselves (particularly Figment) to dressing up in other themes. (OrangeBird might be a little less flexible, but pretty much any of the three could could be placed in iconic ride scenes if that’s the theme, or pilot any of the transport options if that were the theme, or, if movie-themed, either dress as a pirate or as Indy or Star Wars characters, etc or appear on medals and shirts as a side character to Indy or Captain Jack, etc)

Surferboy567

Original Poster
If we don’t hear anything this week, I’d be worried about a delay. Definitely strange we have not heard anything yet. Perhaps today is the day.

pdude81

If we don’t hear anything this week, I’d be worried about a delay. Definitely strange we have not heard anything yet. Perhaps today is the day.
I'd welcome a registration delay on this one. This would be two trips in a row where I have to figure out registration on my phone in a park if wanting any bibs. Last time went quite poorly.

That's just me personally though. I don't actually hope they screw everybody else

Surferboy567

Original Poster
As my second suggestion on themes, I am extremely happy with this set. Not sure if I’ll do it in person (leaning toward it). But will definitely be participating in some form doing all races!

EDIT: All morning runs, and no break day like last year.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom