News New lobby layouts coming to Disney's Old Key West and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort

UNCgolf

Yeah, SSR’s theme has always been “Disney Institute didn’t work.” Of course, it’s hard to imagine what successful theming would look like. I have a fairly deep knowledge of history and, particularly, the history of tourism, and if you asked me to describe the essence of a Saratoga Springs hotel, I’d just stare at you. I’m familiar with the inspiration for pretty much every other Disney hotel but - what is distinct about Saratoga Springs architecture?

Same. Saratoga Springs never really made sense as a theme to begin with to me.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Saratoga Springs' theme and architecture, according to Disney:
Screenshot_20211016-152857_Chrome.jpg

Club Cooloholic

Yeah, SSR’s theme has always been “Disney Institute didn’t work.” Of course, it’s hard to imagine what successful theming would look like. I have a fairly deep knowledge of history and, particularly, the history of tourism, and if you asked me to describe the essence of a Saratoga Springs hotel, I’d just stare at you. I’m familiar with the inspiration for pretty much every other Disney hotel but - what is distinct about Saratoga Springs architecture?
I won't say it's the most exciting theme, but having spent a little time in Saratoga before, what defines it is it's parks, the springs everywhere, and a mix Victorian and Greek Revival architecture. I wouldn't say Disney hit the mark on either of those with their resort but that lobby does nothing for me in terms of that.

Sir_Cliff

Ironically, some of the buildings on WDW's Main Street are based on ones that existed in 19th century Saratoga Springs, but they have nothing in common with what Disney built for the SSR hotel. It's just another "seaside cottage".
Yes, and one in which you expect to see a "Live, Laugh, Love" sign hanging somewhere on the walls given the current interior design scheme.

eddie104

Saratoga Springs has always been an oddball among the WDW resorts. While the lobby definitely isn’t the most elaborate done by Disney I can tell they definitely didn’t go as far as they did with the OKW.

Outsourcing does seem to be a plausible reason why they somewhat seem to be lacking some character or charm.

aladdin2007

Saratoga Springs has always been an oddball among the WDW resorts. While the lobby definitely isn’t the most elaborate done by Disney I can tell they definitely didn’t go as far as they did with the OKW.

Outsourcing does seem to be a plausible reason why they somewhat seem to be lacking some character or charm
This, I dont think Imagineering even has a part in a lot of these resort changes anymore, except someone sure was on it when it came to the ground floor of the contemporary.

castlecake2.0

This, I dont think Imagineering even has a part in a lot of these resort changes anymore, except someone sure was on it when it came to the ground floor of the contemporary.
Is it done by Facilities Asset Management? I know they have something to do with the room renos. It’s weird because some parts of the renovation look like imagineering did it, like the weird horse paintings, and then other parts look like the intern had a late night shopping spree on wayfair.com

Bocabear

The theming for this resort has always been half-baked...It neither evokes a resort of the 1800s or a Victorian Spa. It looks like a 1990s condo project that someone added a little extra detail to.
If "Saratoga Springs" is all about the beautiful parks, where are they?
Yes there is a lot of lawn and trees, but nothing that feels like a Victorian era park.
The old lobby was painted Flesh tone and mint... Which always looked terrible. There are too many blank walls and acres of plain unadorned drywall. It5 is too modern to look Victorian...more like a "Victorian Home" in one of those 1998 mid priced housing tracts where the proportions are all wrong. Maybe Imagineering should get involved and at least make the lobby building, shop and QS really reflect the charm of Saratoga Springs...

castlecake2.0

The theming for this resort has always been half-baked...It neither evokes a resort of the 1800s or a Victorian Spa. It looks like a 1990s condo project that someone added a little extra detail to.
Yes there is a lot of lawn and trees, but nothing that feels like a Victorian era park.
The old lobby was painted Flesh tone and mint... Which always looked terrible. There are too many blank walls and acres of plain unadorned drywall. It5 is too modern to look Victorian...more like a "Victorian Home" in one of those 1998 mid priced housing tracts where the proportions are all wrong. Maybe Imagineering should get involved and at least make the lobby building, shop and QS really reflect the charm of Saratoga Springs...
My blue sky idea if they had a billion dollars to blow through would be to retheme Saratoga to Old Key West/Old Florida to help it blend in better with Disney Springs, then change OKW to Caribbean Beach, then you have a whole area of resorts along the River themed to Florida/gulf/Caribbean type area. Then just bulldoze former Caribbean beach and make that corner of property the DVC tower neighborhood and build some new towers over there where they won’t ruin sight lines, themed to different areas of the riviera.

castlecake2.0

You'll be able to tell they are themed to different areas of the Riviera as each tower will have a slightly different roof stuck on top.
Correct, and inexplicable artwork that has nothing to do with the location. But if we can get to them to group them all in that corner of property they can just blend into bonnet creek towers and I can try my best not to look as I drive down BV drive and all will be well ;)

Sir_Cliff

Correct, and inexplicable artwork that has nothing to do with the location. But if we can get to them to group them all in that corner of property they can just blend into bonnet creek towers and I can try my best not to look as I drive down BV drive and all will be well ;)
Not a bad plan, actually! Let them get it out of their system where the rest of us don't have to look at it!

YorkshireT

Again, I think the gardens at SSR are lovely, with fountain features, things such as the gazebo with the horses in. The Grandstand pool is one of the most heavily themed on property.
In the Carriage house, I would like to see the Disney Institute 1980’s style brickwork covered and improved though, the ‘lounge bar’ totally revamped (which looks like a 1980’s municipal UK golf club, with bad carpet) and the main restaurant ripped out and started again.
I also think the property is ripe for an open sided ‘Upscale Upstate NY Victorian ’ themed bar / casual restaurant , imagine something like Geyser Point, but with a variation on the theme.

Bocabear

Again, I think the gardens at SSR are lovely, with fountain features, things such as the gazebo with the horses in. The Grandstand pool is one of the most heavily themed on property.
In the Carriage house, I would like to see the Disney Institute 1980’s style brickwork covered and improved though, the ‘lounge bar’ totally revamped (which looks like a 1980’s municipal UK golf club, with bad carpet) and the main restaurant ripped out and started again.
I also think the property is ripe for an open sided ‘Upscale Upstate NY Victorian ’ themed bar / casual restaurant , imagine something like Geyser Point, but with a variation on the theme.
open sided? not sure what that means... outdoor with a roof overhead? that theme is as intangible as Saratoga Springs Resort Style... no one really knows what they are trying to do...
The original pavilions in Central park with their late Victorian design and Eastlake aesthetic would be a good place to start... Abd yes there are some fountains and gazebos here and there, they just don't come together in any meaningful way...Maybe the sprawling nature of the property... maybe there just aren't enough things to make a statement...
Of all things though, if the Lobby building, restaurant, and main feature pool were more heavily themed, it could carry the rest of the resort beautifully... Get rid of that corporate country club look and make it feel more period appropriate and special...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom